Thread: Mandolin advice

Default Mandolin advice

Hello All,

I'm a long term watcher, firs time poster.
    I would call myself an beginner-intermediate mandolin player, but a complete beginner in western music (I am from India; play a few film songs). I am particularly interested in, (in addition to hindi film music) learning baroque (highest pref), old time european melodies, and some rock songs from the 60s-70s (low pref). I have a $30 mandolin (with J74s) which I've been playing since quite some time (since 2005 I think). Its a cheap plywood mandolin which sounds a bit harsh, so I've been playing with the round end of the pick. Recently, I began playing with the sharper end and it sounds quite harsh and loud, especially when I am playing tremolo, and so I have to be ultra gentle to keep the volume low. Hence I'm considering getting a sweeter- mellower sounding mandolin.

I have 3 main queries to ask:
    1. Would a bowl back mandolin suit me better or something like Big Muddy be good enough? If bowl back, then does something modern like Calace 24 suit better than the old ones? I understand that my needs cover a range of music, so would a two mandolin setup be better? If so then which two types? Likewise how about a bowlback and an 8 stringed electric mandolin? So I can travel with the latter and also use it with some effects for rock songs etc.
    2. I am left handed; would simply changing the strings and modifying the notches in the bridge be enough? I see myself loosing on to frequent good deals on Big Muddy/Mid-Mos on classifieds/CLs only because I am left handed. I understand that the tone bars would make a difference, but is it really noticeable in the range I am talking about? In terms of electric mandolin, would restringing be enough or there are complications involved?
    3. Will the harshness of my current mandolin be reduced if I put on lighter gauge strings Like Martin M400?

My budget is around $1000. I don't want 'the best' but I do wish to get 'the best value for money'. I don't think I'll upgrade it later on (no MAS for me!), though as mentioned above, I am open to keeping two mandolins for different styles.

A sample of music I play,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfsVE...yu4JhfkG44qvpb

thanks,
    hrishi

Default Re: Mandolin advice

I'll help with the left handed part of the thread, I use an A style oval hole turned upside down with a replacement nut and bridge, that way you get more mandolin for your money. A style oval hole mando's are Ok for reversing as the internal bracing allows this.
    The next question is, will an oval hole mando fill your sound requirements?
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

I watched your video, you've got game. Your taste is eclectic and for Hindi film music maybe an electric mandolin would be something you would like, but as far as acoustic goes, I would suggest you not get a bowlback. You can pull great tone from a carved-top F-holed mandolin, and they are very versatile for all kinds of music.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Destroyer of Mandolins

In truth, with $1000 to spend you can do a lot to help yourself. Good bowl-backs can be had at remarkably reasonable prices, since they are no longer as popular as they once were, and there are a couple of very good electrics at reasonable prices. You could potentially have both for your budget if you shop carefully, so your idea of having two is very good, IMO.

To my ear, the bowl-back has a character similar to the oud and saz, so I think that voice would work well for you.

Bowl-backs are usually symmetrical instruments and can be easily converted to left-handed for a modest cost. Electrics, especially the mass-produced popular models, are a bit more difficult, but it could be done. Instead of a full fledged solid-body electric, you might do well with Fretbear's recommendation. An A-style, F-hole arch-top with a pickup can be converted to left-handed play conveniently. Those two instruments would probably cover all your needs as you describe them.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

What if it is radiused? Won't that throw a wrench into making a righty into a lefty?

Destroyer of Mandolins

Maybe, but it depends on a number of factors. A flat fingerboard would eliminate the question, and that's part of what I meant by shopping carefully. Good catch though.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Thank you all for your replies!

I think I am getting a deal on a used bowlback on Craigslist.The owner seems genuine and the price looks decent for a restored mandolin (of course I shall try it before finalizing). I'll post the link in the ID section to know more about ti.

If that turns out well, then i have only other requirement:
    The f hole A style seems an interesting suggestion for its versatility. Do you think it will suit more for the film music (the linked video kind of music) than an Oval one? I've also found that Eastwood makes a lefty Mandocaster for same price as righty.
    Last edited by hrishi; Feb-23-2012 at 3:14pm. Reason: .

Destroyer of Mandolins

It's all a matter of personal taste, of course, but personally I think the oval-hole sound is more fitting to the feel of Hindi film music. If it is versatility you need, the the f-hole can play just about anything and make it sound acceptable, IMO. Honestly, this is why we end up with a collection of mandolins.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Thanks all for your inputs. I have decided to go with Mandocaster and get entry level Calace bowlback after some period.

Still a mandolin fighter Mandophyte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G7MOF View Post
    The next question is, will an oval hole mando fill your sound requirements?
    Or an F without a scroll?
    John

Social Groups: FFcP, A Song-a-Week
    ABC. Notation for the tabophobic: ABC intro, ABCexplorer, Making Music with ABC Plus by Guido Gonzato.
    FFcP: Just do it! (Any genre, (Honest!) just ignore the jazz references.)
    Eastman 604, 2007 | Thomas Buchanan Octave Mandolin, 2010