Thread: Beautiful Extended Chord Voicings?

Default Beautiful Extended Chord Voicings?

Hello all!

Extended Chord Voicings on the mandolin are something that are kinda rare to dig up. I'm in the process of analyzing and playing many jazz tunes and I've started to create my own extended chord shapes since I never truly came across any- which leads to the main topic:

I'm calling for an extended chord voicing bonanza thread where we can all show off our 9th, 11th, and 13th (And any children of the three) chord voicings/shapes tailored to the mando! Just trying to see which shapes people use most because I'm sure I'll get shown ones I've never thought of before.

(I'm really trying to get these voicings down, I have a few shapes for 9ths, and 11ths, that I can move around nicely, but I'd love to have a huge vocabulary of different voicings to throw up and down the neck) (who wouldn't? haha)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Beautiful Extended Chord Voicings?

Work out your dom 7's where you voice 3rd and 7th on bottom two strings (there are 2 positions from each chord). Then, figure out where the root and 5th are on the top strings. Then, try b9, 9, #9 instead of the root, then b5, #5, 13 instead of the 5, then combo platters. That'll keep you going for awhile.

Also, just invert the basic 7th chords so you have 4 positions for each chord. They aren't all great sounding, and many can be reduced to just 3 notes, but it will help you find your way around the fingerboard and open things up for you melodically as well.

That salada work right there.

I've found this link to be full of good stuff.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/pat.html
    Mitch Russell

Quote Originally Posted by onassis View Post
    I've found this link to be full of good stuff.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/pat.html
    Check the archive on jazzmando.com. There is an article by Charlie Jones titled "Conjugating 3 note chords" which I found very helpful. Then you can add other extensions.

Thanks everyone!

I totally didn't realize there was a mandocafe lesson with lots of this in it! Same goes for JazzMando (love that site)

John- That is a lot of work, but it will pay off, I'll start some work! Never thought to learn all 4 inversions for the 7th chords.

Don't be afraid to leave out or substitute the third. It can be cool sometimes.

The Quatropenta page on the Cafe is great and very helpful. Quick question, on a major or minor 9th cord shape, which is the root (i.e.e the chord name)? Is it it the 9th?

I did a book on Jazz chording. It is a free pdf file you can download at my website.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music