Thread: Okay, I honestly need to know...

Default Okay, I honestly need to know...

I joined this page bc I thought it was a community of people sharing music (I mean, transcription, sheet music, whatever) and knowledge bases for your fellow musician...mostly what i see is links to amazon or wherever to buy a book...that is cool and all, i am pretty sure that we all know where to order an instruction book from. probably the whole point of someone posting here asking about something specific is to be helped by their peers, not told, go buy this book.

So i am frustrated by this to say the least. I am new, so if i am missing a group, or a page that actually does the aforementioned activities, such as sharing knowledge, not withholding, and sharing music tabs or sheet music, tabedit, whatever, please point me in the right direction someone...ya boy is lost over here, drowning and looking for rope or something upon which to float.

Cheers,
    -B.

Default Re: Okay, I honestly need to know...

You can take a look at the tablature library in the "listen/learn" section....

https://www.mandolincafe.com/tabarc.html

There is also a tabedit section there as well.

There is also a song of the week social group...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=67
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

There is the 'Listen/Learn' link in the header, along with the mp3 library. There are also links to various collections of PD music from social groups. If its mandolin related music and you can't find it here, use advanced search or google search 'site mandolincafe.com: what you're looking for'.

Sharing copyrighted material on this site regularly policed.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

if it is tablature which is public, the site admins take it down? i guess there is a lot of things going on in the guidelines section...it seems really dumb to have a page like this where people cannot share things like that with each other. i dont know, i just dont like restrictions in art/music i definitely dont think it needs to be policed.

Also, if you go to the header of the website and tap on the Forum tab (circled in the attached photo) you will get a smorgasbord of topics to explore. Hope this helps…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BD92B9BA-E1D7-43FD-836E-E258DF6EADF0.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	198822
    Dan Scullin
    Louisville, KY

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Howdy there, ok trashfire joe… welcome to the cafe!

Seems you’re not very happy in your first month here, I think that is a rather rare experience, but surely happens on occasion. If you need something specific just ask, and I’m sure someone will do their best to help you. All the best to you
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Well, we also have this

Careful:

"Discussions started with the specific purpose or that end up used specifically for the purpose of antagonizing or calling into question a moderator's control of this forum or the site owner's right to enforce forum policy is forbidden and may result in immediate and permanent loss of membership and posting privileges. If you have concerns regarding forum policy contact a moderator or the site owner privately."
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

9. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Blog Entries

If you could be a bit more specific as to what sort of thing you are looking for, we could maybe point you in more specific directions? Like, is there a particular song or genre you're looking for, for example? There's certainly a lot of sharing of free music knowledge going on here every day in the form of videos, links, technique and theory discussions, etc. Even a few free pdfs lying around.

I understand your frustrations about needing to spend money to find learning resources, I love the idea of sharing music and music knowledge freely (I'm one of those free software hacks, so similar vibes there), but the truth is that a) copyright laws do exist (and yes, can be quite ludicrous, but I wouldn't fault the site admins for adhering to the law) and b) people who create learning resources want/need to earn money from them sometimes. That said, talk about paid resources isn't completely a waste - we may all know where to order books from, but I at least still benefit from discussions about what books or other resources are worth the money for example.

I dunno, a lot of us are pretty friendly IMO. Keep an open mind and stick around a little longer, perhaps we'll grow on you . OTOH everyone has their preferences an it's ok if this format isn't for you.
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

11. The following members say thank you to TonyEarth for this post:

In all fairness, sometimes questions are simply best answered by looking at professional instructional materials. You can only write about how to play mandolin so much, but showing it, via a video lesson for example, is infinitely better. Furthermore, there may be times when someone could spend a lengthy amount of time copying a piece of sheet music for a song and postiung it, but they really don't feel like taking the time when there is a perfectly good copy available for purchase somewhere. Is there a particualr question you haven't been able to find an answer or advice about?

13. The following members say thank you to Alex Orr for this post:

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ol trashfire joe View Post
    if it is tablature which is public, the site admins take it down? i guess there is a lot of things going on in the guidelines section...it seems really dumb to have a page like this where people cannot share things like that with each other. i dont know, i just dont like restrictions in art/music i definitely dont think it needs to be policed.
    If grousing about Site Policies and the merits of protecting Artist royalties and livelihood are a huge preoccupation for you, perhaps there are other places on the Internet that can provide for your interests and satisfaction. We encourage you to move elsewhere with this journey.

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ted Eschliman For This Useful Post: