Thread: Mandolin top profile

Question Mandolin top profile

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I'm currently working on an f-style mandolin. I have Plans, but I don't have a template for the arch on thee top of the mandolin. Could someone please tell me where I could get a free download of one? Thanks in advance ,
    Nick
    Last edited by JEStanek; Feb-19-2012 at 7:33am. Reason: We don't put ages of minors in posts.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin top profile

Welcome to Mandolin Cafe. The question you asked regarding arch of the top is good question but there is not a simple answer.

The best answer I have is for you to go Andrew Mowry's web site http://www.mowrystrings.com. He has downloadable pdfs of the contours of the top and back which will be a lot of help for you.

Good luck.
    James A. Sanford

Hi, Nick.
    If you have a plan then you can use tracing paper to copy the arch and then use transfer or carbon paper to copy the shape onto something like masonite or thin plywood and cut out your own templates.
    I don't know of anyone selling templates like that.

@james: that's not exactly what I was looking for, but it will be very helpful. Thank you!
    @jim: that's what I was planning to do. If I can just download a printable template, I can make a plexiglass one. The printable template is what I'm looking for. Thanks!

What am I missing here? You said you have a plan, which should have front, side, and end views (that's usually what a plan is). Jim suggested taking the arching from that. If you make 2 templates, one for the long arch and one for the cross section at the bridge you should be in good position to carve the top. Make another long arch template for the back as it has a longer arch and use the cross section template from the top to use on the back.

Unfortunately, my plans dont have those profiles. https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...IyOWM5ZjJiMDBl
    Sorry about my dumb questions : this is my first time building a worthwile instrument.

Blog Entries

I missed the word "template" I guess. Senior moment. Good luck.
    James A. Sanford

Quote Originally Posted by James Sanford View Post
    I missed the word "template" I guess. Senior moment. Good luck.
    No problem. Your link was very helpful, and I will definitely make use of it. It's just not what I had in mind.
    This is what I am looking for. But your link was helpful, and I will use it. Sorry about all my somewhat dumb questions. I think I've played a mandolin three or four times. I play guitar right now, and even though my Dad is a carpenter, I've always been more interested in computers.
    Last edited by ncowboyn; Feb-20-2012 at 8:59am. Reason: The template would have to be for an F-style. I do not know if there is a difference.

I guess your looking for something in terms of a plan thats kind of like Spotify is to music, something you can download for free. It may exist but I would suggest purchasing a good plan like Adrian Minarov's which can be found at Elderly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    I guess your looking for something in terms of a plan thats kind of like Spotify is to music, something you can download for free. It may exist but I would suggest purchasing a good plan like Adrian Minarov's which can be found at Elderly.
    Right. I spent all my money on supplies, so I don't have any left for buying profiles. I figured it wouldn't be that hard to find after I found the plans...

Cowboy, I use Mowry's template and if you just follow those terraces, it will create the profile all by itself. I can't imagine needing a arch profile when you have the Mowry template. You can adjust them anyway you like also - I have. For instance I may leave the last terrace at 17mm off and just go to 16 mm. When you sand down or plane down those edges it turns into a beautiful profile.

Thanks everybody! That is what I did. Hopefully it came out right. this is my first mandolin from scratch. If any of you do find that template, please pm me!
    Thanks!
    Nick

Nick, there are many possible arches or arching styles you can use and make a good sounding instrument. Bob Givens used a wide recurve with a small dome where the bridge sits, Gibson uses a wider dome and smaller recurve, and Zeidler used a wide dome and very small recurve. The point is to make the arching nice and even all over, and make your graduations smooth. It will work. The tops of many Stradivari violins are nearly the same thickness all over, which means there is no graduation. It all works, some better than others.

Thank you, michael! It's good to hear that considering that I know mine didn't cOme out right. So as long as it fits the bridge it's good?

Just make sure the arch isn't too bulbous. Most mandolins I've seen have a much flatter and longer arch than I had expected.

Yeah, I had that problem, but I'm fixing it. Thanks!

Wow! I wasn't expecting bridges to be do expensive! Do you fit the mando to the bridge or vice-versa?
    Thanks!
    Nick

You fit the bridge to the mandolin top. What bridge are you looking at. From reading here at the Mandolin Cafe you will find the Cumberland Acoustic bridge recommended a lot. Two other bridges that are also supposed to be good are Randy Wood's and Darryl Wolfe's. Their names in this post a clickable links.
    You can also purchase a less expensive ebony bridge from International Violin H E R E or make your own using Red Henry's directions somewhere to be found H E R E.
    Bill Snyder

Nick, I should have also provided a link to Frank Ford's excellent site for luthiers. Here is a direct link to the page on fitting mandolin bridges.
    Bill Snyder

F-style Apostate

Quote Originally Posted by cowboynick View Post
    Wow! I wasn't expecting bridges to be do expensive! Do you fit the mando to the bridge or vice-versa?
    Thanks!
    Nick
    You can visit Red Henry's page and learn how to make one piece bridges very cheaply-

http://www.murphymethod.com/index.cf...t&contentId=87

There you are Nick, Two of us have given you the link to Red's site.
    Bill Snyder

Thank you everyone! I found inexpensive parts from saga music. I'm hoping they'll work alright.