Thread: Tough Audiences

Default Tough Audiences

A friend asked me to babysit his not quite 2 year old grandson tonight while he took his son and daughter in law out to celebrate their anniversary. I broke out the mandolin and sat down on the floor to practice while the kid sat nearby playing with some toy cars, I notice the kid keeps glancing over at me, finally he gets up walks over in front of me, reaches out and takes the pick from my fingers and drops it in my lap, pats me on my arm with a "awwww" then goes back to playing with his cars

I have also noticed the dog gets up and runs outside when he sees me pick up the mandolin case
    If you want something that "barks" get a damn dog

Default Re: Tough Audiences

Everyone's a critic.

My dog used to howl everytime i practiced my violin which was a bit of a pain as I was a music major at the time.
    Play on friend, play on...

My 2 year old mostly just says "Stop playing, Daddy." If I don't, she grabs my pick and drops it through an f hole.

Although if she's in the right mood, she will dance a jig. Sometimes she comes along to a gig, and then she dances through the entire set. Then the rest of the audience just watches her, and we could be playing anything.

I used to have a dog, a westie named Vassar that would howl when I played fiddle. My current westie isn't moved by fiddle or mandolin music. My outside dog, a blue heeler is equally unmoved when I play. Maybe I should stick a porkchop on the end of my bow. Now that I think about it, that might work with human audiences too.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

My wife said:
    "If you play that tune one more time, I'm going to leave you. God I miss that woman......."
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

This is my ''one cat Mandolin appreciation society'. I have this effect on most folk who hear me play as well. He even jumps onto my lap when i'm playing & i don't think it's because he wants to get 'closer to the music',
    Ivan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	'Cat, Mandolin - Mandolin ,cat'.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	82622
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Play for cows. Seriously. They love music and are a loyal and faithful audience. I lived on a dairy farm when I first began to play and used to practice down at the pasture.

Blog Entries

One thing to keep in mind with young kids is that their ears are more sensitivite than ours (no damage or aging loss).

If I point my mandolin away, if I limit volume, and if my keep my eyes on my daughter she let's me play every day.

But she can hit 'too much noise' pretty easily ... I also feel that she hears the beating of poorly matched pairs better than adults.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

My cat will sit and listen when I play the violin or mandolin, in fact he seems to like it. When I first brought a banjo home he gave it a passing look that was until play it. He sprung up in the air and bolted out the door and hid under the futon on the lanai. Maybe the animals really do know more than we do. Just the sight of that thing gives him the willies.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

My cat hates to hear the mandolin. It's gotten to the point that if I want him to leave the room, I just unzip my case.

However, it probably didn't help that I chased him around the apartment working on chord changes when I first started playing...

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    Play for cows. Seriously. They love music and are a loyal and faithful audience. I lived on a dairy farm when I first began to play and used to practice down at the pasture.

Yeah, but if they don't like you, you'll get "moo-ed" off the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by kaybone View Post
    Yeah, but if they don't like you, you'll get "moo-ed" off the stage.
    Ha! It's actually their way of expressing approval.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickster60 View Post
    Just the sight of that thing gives him the willies.
    Clearly a cat with discerning tastes and considerable refinement.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Severl years ago I was performing an MRI exam on a man who brought his approximately 5yo daughter along. She was pretty unhappy about having her father put in the machine and that she could not go in the room with him. She was sitting in the control room with me , crying, while I ran the scanner. The nature of such exams is that you program the scan sequences and then sit back and watch to make sure it all goes well. So when I was done programing I pulled a small open hole flute I keep in my backpack out and played her a couple tunes hopefully to distract her and stop her from crying. Well she did stop crying, after she choked back the last of her sobs she looked at me and said " I think we've had enough music for now" My ego has never really recovered.
    Jim Richmond

awwww LMAO I have been laughing about this for 2 days.

Name:	Best listener1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	82703
    My cat is my best audience. She will come to where ever I am playing in the house and curl up nearby. I use my daughter's room as my music room now that she's graduated from college, but I don't think the music is what made her leave home!

Josh

My five year old will come over and grab first the pick and then the mandolin out of my hands. "No, daddy, here, let me show you how you're supposed to do it." That was pretty cute when she would then proceed to play, but now she just carefully puts it back on the stand. Thanks, kid.

Hi Folks,

I've posted this picture in other threads, but it seems fitting here. This is my British Longhair, Robyn, listening to me play. He comes running to listen whenever I play my mandolin, but has no interest at all in my piano. I tend to play longer when he's listening, as he really seems to enjoy it. A cat and a mandolin; does life get better than this?

Name:	025.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	311.3 KB 
ID:	82706
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

My wife says last night, "Are you gonna practice that in here?"
    I've also learned to tune up in a different room, after several evil stares.
    Don't mess with an Italian woman whose uncle is in the cement business.
    Jimmy Hoffa, here I come!
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Blog Entries

My dog hates the mandolin. He won't stay in the room if I pick it up. If I take more than the usual amount of time between songs, he trots to me, looking hopeful. If I say, "sorry Bandit," he makes a huffing noise (sounds like he's digusted), turns tail and trots away. But I also have a budgie, Rocky, that will scream with ear piercing rage if I don't bring him into the music room when I practice. There, he happily chatters, fortunately at a much reduced volume. He really likes the Rights of Man and does that shifting from one leg to the other, head bobbing thing that tropical birds do, whenever I play it.

Our cat will sit near us when my husband and I play our usual ITM, but he'll walk out after about 20 minutes and demand to be let outside. My children all vacate the area when my husband and I play. They'll abandon the living room, where we are, and cluster in the TV room on the other side of the house and turn up the volume of the TV whether it's a show or a video game. We get lots of eye-rolls when we talk about music camp (we dragged our youngest with us the first year we went) and snide comments when we head off for a gig or our usual Monday night session. No accounting for tastes!
    We got our own back a bit, though. Two weeks ago, while Skyping with our youngest, who's a sophomore at University of Vermont, she asked for noise-cancelling headphones. Seems the guy who lives in the dorm room/suite next door plays Irish music on whatever it is kids have for a stereo these days, plays Irish on his guitar and is learning the pennywhistle.
    I just mailed off some headphones, and my daughter's pennywhistle and music book. My husband and I can't stop laughing, although my oldest daughter, who was visiting while we were skyping, kept sending her sincere sympathy to her baby sister on her affliction!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305