Thread: Road Trip.....Southeast

Default Road Trip.....Southeast

My girlfriend and I will be heading out on a road trip through the southeast. Leaving end of Feb through early march. Nashville and Savannah are the two top priorities as shes never been to either, but we'll also be cruising around and I'm looking for any good shows in Tn, Ga, the Carolinas, Virginias, etc. Folk, Americana, grass, etc.

Also, some fine dining and good eat spots. Cool places to stay etc. We'll just be winging it, but having some points of interest would be nice also.

Any info or advice would be appreciated. A big help would be good websites to check out for any of the above info also.

Thanks to all,

Go Cubs.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Default Re: Road Trip.....Southeast

While your in Savannah, you might want to check in with Randy Wood, His shop is about 20 miles away. He has the picking parlor going on every couple of week or so. On your way to Nashville, when you get to where I-40 and I-77 cross, go north on 77 to exit 65, make a left and go into Union Grove. Great food at the Union Grove Cafe with bluegrass on Tuesday nights. About 100 yards past the Cafe you will find The Cookshack, they have concerts a couple of times a month, and a large Jam on Saturday mornings. http://randywoodguitars.com/go/events Union Grove Cafe is on Facebook and the Cookshack http://uniongrovemusic.voila.net/
    dwight in NC

We pick at Randy Wood's every Saturday starting around noon going to around 4 or 5 . Come sit in with us ... BK

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lovelace Cafe for Supper, Lovelace Barn (right behind he Cafe) for great Folk and Bluegrass music every Wednesday night.
    See www.musiccityroots.com for details of upcoming shows.
    This is the sleeper venue in the Nashville area....tickets are very inexpensive ($10) and you will get to hear some great talent, particularly rising stars. For example, Flatt Lonesome played at the end of a 3 hour show a few weeks ago and they were the winners of the 2012 International SPBGMA Band competition a couple of weeks ago. I've heard bands like the Gibson Brothers, Cadillac Sky, Pokey LaFarge, Mountain Heart, etc. If you can work you trip out to include this stop, you won't regret it!
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

you should check out http://www.jambase.com/ for local concert listings.
    Oh, and maybe stop in at Gruhn's Guitars in Nashville for a couple hours? (leave your MAS at the hotel, or don't! ;-)

Have a safe and fun trip!
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Don't know if y'all are carnivores, but if so, try out some of that mustard-based barbecue sauce folks eat down there and report back, please. Sounds curious to me, but for some of us folks the search for 'cue is like the Holy Grail.

Mick

PS Texas Monthly has a great barbecue finding app for downloading:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/apps/app_ad.html
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I would recommend stopping at Johnson City Tennessee for some music at the "Down Home".

We've got numerous jams/shows in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, drop me a line at big_mon_dry at yahoo and I'll send you a list.

Also, I would highly recomend Charleston, SC. Beautiful place and there are some excellent eats there. My favorites are these:

http://eatatfig.com/

http://hominygrill.com/

And there are of course a whole mess of excellent restaurants here in Raliegh and Durham. These are a couple of the best:

http://lanternrestaurant.com/

http://www.poolesdowntowndiner.com/

Of course the southeast is known for bluegrass, but the food ain't bad either!

Cheers,
    Z
    Member since 2003!

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

Google "Station Inn Nashville" for some good shows in an intimate setting.
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

If you make it all the way down here ... well, you will have gone too far. You pretty much have to want to be here to get here, it is that far off the beaten track. But on my to-do list for a road trip is to visit some of the places I have seen on "Diners Drive-Ins and Dives." Some of them look really cool, and may well have really good food at decent prices, as well as unique offerings and settings. Take a look through that section at food.com - there may even be a map. I know they have address info.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Asheville, NC has lots of music, good food, and stuff to do. Too much to list here, but worth digging on your own.
    Clark Beavans

I don't know if you'll still be on the road but if you are, this may be of interest to you. Located in Live Oak, FL just a few miles south of the GA border. We also have lots of spring training baseball going on down here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suwannee-springfest-2012-poster.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	82511

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Thanks to all, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

I'm hoping that things will work out and we'll be in Savannah on a Saturday, that would be a blast, humiliating, but a blast. I'd love to check out a Bulldog too.

We will be checking out a show at the Station Inn, hopefully it doesn't sell out, thats one thing I've never gotten to do in Nashiville.

Mick, I've done trips through this part of the country a few times, mostly backpacking though and I have found the Mustard BBQ before. Last time I had it I was near the SC/NC border somewhere, where I have no clue, but it was a mustard/vinegar type sauce that was actually pretty good. It was at a little shack that me and my dog had happened to stumble upon and for the life of me I can't remember where it was, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't too far off the 1. I always keep my eyes open for stuff like that and I've come across some pretty amazing places way off the beaten path.

No Gruhns visit for me this time, the place is a bit overwhelming.

I'll shoot you an email shortly Ming, thanks.

Hey Len, last year (or maybe the year before) I wanted to go to a Bluegrass/Dead type festival down there, is that the same one?

Again, thanks to all.

We'd be glad to have you stop by our humble shop if you have time. We usually have some cool mandolins and guitars around. We would be happy to show you our shop and we love to talk mandolins. We are only a couple blocks off I65 on the North end of town.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Maurice's Piggy Park, Columbia, SC. US129 "Dragon" in NC/TN. Top of the Smokies on 441. Love's for food in Savannah (As seen in "Forest Gump") Capital in Columbia is amazing, too. Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg.

Lots of stuff! Numerous makers.
    Stephen Perry

Hey CBGC,

Yes, Springfest and Magnolia Fest (MagFest) in the Fall are BG/hippie music festivals imho. The crowds they attract are quite diverse. I always have fun at these events. C'mon down!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Just got back, wanted to thank everyone who chimed in. We never made it south of Tn, but went from Memphis to Asheville and 2149.9 miles over 10 days.

Highlights, saw Ketch from Old Crow at the Station Inn on Weds, amazing show. Lots of stand ins including a guy who was in line with us who played a mean jaw harp and a guy named Tim that played a pretty mean mando. Tie in with another thread......3 of the 4 people sitting next to us were on facebook on their cell phones til they finally left. Met the owner of the place (I think) surly at first but a really nice guy at heart. Was in Cosby Tn during the tornadoes, the river behind out cabin went up about 6-8 feet overnight. Asheville was amazing, found nothing related to bluegrass or folk music online before we left, got there and it was everywhere. Saw a good celtic jam at the Jack of the woods bar, Mike from American Pickers walked in while we were there. Ate at some amazing places everywhere (if anyone wants any suggestions just ask), City House in Nashville, about 10 different places in Asheville, hiked the Smokys for two days and got to show the GF the real reason they call them the Smoky's.

Another thread tie-in, went to Gruhns twice, once was the day before TBurcham was there and I played that same Latter day Mexican mando he did. Almost bought a teens gibby that the GF actually wanted me to buy, but the tuners were shot, but I still might buy it. THe gentleman there also changed my outllook on picks when he handed me an ultex .73 to use ( My regular pick is an ultex 1.14). I went back to our room and played my Weber with it and it was a whole new, even better, beast.

Mick, check your PM's, picked you up a gift.

Again, thanks to all.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

And a good time was had by all! Too bad you couldn't have squeezed out one more 1/10 of a mile to make it even. Next time go around the block.

I've heard Asheville is pretty hopping. Maybe people are too busy actually playing music to spend a lot of time online. It has been suggested to me as a place to relocate, when I have been frustrated with things here. Right now things are going well so, nemmine. Got a feeling my tastes are a bit too non-trad anyway. Funny you should mention Old Crow offshoots. The guy who has filled in for our bass player a few times is a pal of theirs, in fact produced a solo album for one of them. Funny when we play "Wagon Wheel" and "Tell It To Me" - he is probably good and tired of them. WW is very popular around here, but I like to think we do it pretty well.

Sounds like a great trip. Oh, hey, don't rush your purchase on the teens Gibby. There are plenty around, and when you find one in good shape at a decent price you'll be glad you waited. Having lots of good times with mine.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Got a feeling my tastes are a bit too non-trad anyway.
    For Asheville? I seriously doubt it.
    Clark Beavans