Thread: Stone picks?

Default Stone picks?

Anybody ever use a stone pick? I just got an ad for them (tigereye and agate, petrified wood et al) and hadn't seem them before -- just curious. Didn't seem practical to me, but I'm willing to be educated.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Default Re: Stone picks?

Obviously they have to be pretty thick. I am not sure how they would work with mandolin -- maybe better for some guitar styles. Others may have direct experience.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Someone gave me on once that he'd made from the local stone - it was truly terrible - play tremolo with it and you could see bits flying off in all directions!

Of course I'm sure commercial ones are better.... even so I would have have thought they'd be too hard and not have enough give in them?

Yep. They were the "rage" in the mid 80's. I still have a couple. I tried them once and in my box of picks they went to remain forever more. They look great, but don't quite sound that good.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Counter-intuitively fragile. You can only drop them once.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Can you play "rock" and roll with them?

Joe

I can only imagine they would sound terrible on a mandolin. Most picks, even thick ones that don't seem to flex much, have more flex than people realize. The pick has to have some flex to it.
    Stone on bronze or steel? I can't imagine what could sound worse!
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

i have two in my pick case. both agate.....one i purchased around a yr ago to compete w two very loud gypsy gtrsts using Selmer style gtrs. and recently a friend gave me his old M'ind pick that Pat Martino uses or used. as you'd expect they ARE LOUD. and as you'd expect the tone is quite bright and cutting. i will pull one out every now and them when i'm more concerned w volume than tone.

as to comparing them to steel or copper....nah, the metal picks are 10 x worse in the tone dept. oh, and i have tried a jade pick...much harsher than my agate picks. still better than metal though.

"Most picks, even thick ones that don't seem to flex much, have more flex than people realize. The pick has to have some flex to it."

i dunno. i use pretty thick picks 2.5 to 3.0 and i really don't notice much if any flex there. so the lack of flex w the agate picks doesn't bug me.
    just groove, baby!

I still need your string labels!

Blog Entries

Had a stone pick a long time ago but it quickly got traded when someone offered some cash for it.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    ...Stone on bronze or steel? I can't imagine what could sound worse!
    Bacon.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Bacon.
    I don't know what you're talking about. Right about now, bacon sounds delicious!

You must be stoned.

For fun, I tried out several of these from Ebay, so I'll give you the pros and cons as I see them...
    They actually have surprisingly good tone if they are polished very smoothly and have a clean bevel. It's best to buy them from someone who not only knows how to work stone, but who also plays music.
    They are loud, but not any louder than a Wegen or Blue Chip.
    Their best quality is that they look really cool and are fun to display--especially as playable jewelery.
    On the downside, they are clicky on the lower courses, and will give a gritty noise if not polished perfectly smooth.
    The worst problem is that each is so "one-of-a-kind" This can be fun, but once you find your favorite pick--you sort of want several back ups just like it on stand by.
    All in all, mine are fun, because I like interesting stuff like that, but for everday playing I use the Wegen.

Infrequently Smelt Gregory Tidwell's Avatar

I have a bunch of ancient mammoth ivory picks, and personally I love them. Not sure if SiO2 replaces mammoth ivory the way it replaces bone, but they sure feel like stone to me. The tone they produce is wonderful, IMHO, and I love that they flex not in the least, and they are about 1mm thick. As far as I can tell they also never chip or even scratch. The only problem I have ever had is that I find they slow me down on tremolo, so as we (I) speak (type) I am having a scrimshander in Rhode Island make me a new one with a rounder tip.

Yes, it's a similar tone to that, bone or horn. These all have a less synthetic sound than plastic in my opinion. I think the manmade materials that have that similar sound are the acrilic of V-picks, the whatever it is of BCs, and the kevlar of Wegens. These last sound the most like a mandmade product, but I tend to like them because they don't click on the bass strings and have a warm loud tone. It's a lot of fun to experiment.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

This is an old proven concept for picking whatever

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Blog Entries

I bought a milled & polished agate pick from a quarry in Oregon. It is a thing of beauty to look at but it sounds "tinney" as mandolin pick. Also I got "pick click" almost as loud as the string sound. They are not for me. Here is where I bought mine.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.