Thread: SCAM again

Default SCAM again

The Gibson F12 being sold on the Mandolin Hangout supposedly in Britain is actually for sale on the eBay Classifieds in Savannah . I have informed the Hangout administrator

J

Default Re: SCAM again

I'm confused. I could not find an ad on cafe from England. I found one on the cafe a 70/71 F12 in Fort Payne, AL. I found 2 on ebay: a '71 F12 in Westen, FL and a '68 F12 converted to F5 in Dallas, TX which by the way is no way shape or form a 1968 F12. It started life as a mid 70's F12 and that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Hard to convince those 70's owner that think they have a 60's that it's not a 60's because they are dumpfounded to the fact Gibson used the same serial nos. in those two decades even after you tell them. Where is the one in Savannah, GA? And where is the one in England?

The one at the hangout is here. This is the eBay ad, with the same pictures.

Thanks for posting the links. Still beyond my computer capabilities
    J

Carpe Mandolinium

Quote Originally Posted by houseworker View Post
    The one at the hangout is here. This is the eBay ad, with the same pictures.
    At HUGELY different prices. 1700 Pounds (Mando Hangout price) = ~ 2700 Dollars, but the price on Savannah eBay is $4500. I doubt that that tremendous discrepancy is just to cover trans-Atlantic shipping.

== John ==
    == JOHN ==

Music washes away from the soul the dust of every day life.

--Berthold Auerbach

I failed to see you said mandolinhangout since you posted it here on the cafe I just assumed it was in the cafe ads. And I've never heard of ebay classifieds. Why would you run an ad there verses on a regular ebay auction? Cheaper? But reaches far less people.
    Whomever has it they want to much for it.

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    And I've never heard of ebay classifieds. Why would you run an ad there verses on a regular ebay auction? Cheaper? But reaches far less people.
    I've never heard of it either. Presumably it's to compete with Craigslist. It would have the same advantage as any classified ad, that you can actually meet the person and see the object. And also list things like cars for sale, houses for rent, etc.

Just as an aside, eBay owns 25% of Craigslist.

Just a guess, but I'd bet the Savanna ad is genuine and the UK is a fake. There is someone in England that has consistently attempted to highjack listings and offer the item at very tempting prices. He did this many times on ebay auctions but the listings I've come across always get pulled. Ebay classifieds are new to me as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    There is someone in England that has consistently attempted to highjack listings and offer the item at very tempting prices.
    Point of clarification: not on our Classifieds. Those examples I posted once were public for less than five minutes and never since although they keep trying. There has never been a single reply to one from this site. I posted those awhile back as an example of what you'd soon be seeing on other stringed instruments sites--24 hours plus and beyond after being posted even it appears. Our Classifieds don't have the problem cited in the opening post and while you didn't exactly say that, you didn't clarify it either and I wish for the details to be very clear because someone reading that statement may think it pertains to this site. It doesn't.

The Mando Hangout ad has been deleted
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards