Thread: Used Big Muddy? Eastman Md305? Used Kentucky?

Default Used Big Muddy? Eastman Md305? Used Kentucky?

Ok, so I went and played a bunch of The Loars, some Kentuckys, some Eastmans and I liked the Eastman MD305 the most, but I have to wait 5 weeks before I get one, and everyone has been telling me they are VERY hard to get and most likely will not be available then.

So, what would you guys do? I have about $400-450 to spend. Watch the used? Read the press and hope and pray? Gamble it all on a flea bay buy? Say to hell with it all and get a Deering Goodtime banjo?

I think I played too many. I want something to play on my own, no bluegrass band to deal with, something that will stay together, play easy, sound nice, full, round, deep woody....darn, its not supose to be this hard!

Help!
    Bulldog #24

Default Re: Used Big Muddy? Eastman Md305? Used Kentucky?

Why settle? I would consider buying an Eastman 305 from one of the cafe sponsors who most likely have them in stock ready to go. In fact I saw a few on eBay from them at the moment.

I just hope they do come mid March when I can buy one. I would support one of the shops from here in a heart beat! Steve Perry carries them, and I have asked if he thinks he will have one in a month. You KNOW you will get good stuff from him! LOL
    Bulldog #24

Buy from a good dealer and wait for exactly what you want.
    Our first mandolin arrived this afternoon.
    If you don't get EXACTLY what you want you may regret it for a very long time.
    (This advice cetified to be worth exactly what you have paid for it!)
    I spent ninety percent of my money on wine, women and song and just wasted the other ten percent.

-- Ronnie Hawkins

Hard to make recommendations for somebody else -- you did the right thing by getting your hands on a range of mandolins and choosing the one you prefer. However, I see that your subject line mentions Big Muddy but your post doesn't. A Big Muddy is a very different proposition from the Eastman, Loar or Kentucky you have tried, and you may well find that you prefer it. Any chance that you can get to try one? These are wonderful mandolins at a wonderful price, and in many ways more versatile than the archtop ones you've tried. You say you don't play with a bluegrass band, but I'm not clear what genres you're interested in -- if you generally want a bluegrassish tone, then the Big Muddy isn't for you. If you're interested in folk, Irish/Celtic, Latin, Classical, Italian or Early/Renaissance music, then I would think the Big Muddy is more suitable for these genres than the ones you've tried (although you can play any genre with any mandolin -- it's a very flexible instrument).

Martin

Blog Entries

The reason it is so hard is the mandolins you're looking at are pretty comparable. The Eastman and the Big Muddy both are great for your applications. They will sound quite different as you have experienced. In your profile photo you (assuming) are playing an archtopped F5 of some sort), why not get a flat top to widen your sonic pallate?

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I've always felt the anticipation was almost better than the prize, so if you really want the Eastman (and I love mine), I'd put in your order and wait. fwiw
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

In my photo I am playing a Brentrup special order. Its not mine, but a collector that buys world class mandolins and doesn't really play, so on occasion he would send me one for an extended period of time to play and break in. I was honored to have enjoyed a top of the line Collins, Red Diamond, Brentrup, and a few others. All fantastic instruments, but out of my budget! LOL

Yeah, I think you guys wisdom about just settling on an Eastman 305 is valid.

Randi, I envy your patience! LOL
    Bulldog #24