Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Questions...

Default Beginner Questions...

Hello!

I'm a proud mama to a 13 year-old mandolin/bluegrass-loving daughter. We bought her an inexpensive mandolin & beginner book for Christmas and she has really taken off with her playing.

She's still at a "beginner-level" but she's asking for more and we have NO idea where to find some of the things that she's asking for. :-)

- She wants the music sheet (is that the right word?) for Dooley by The Dillards... Where do we find music sheets for mandolins?

- She wants me to find online videos for beginners or tutorial CDs to buy... Can you recommend some sites?

- She's interested in finding more modern mandolin/bluegrass artists... I've bought her a few older bluegrass music CDs... Can you recommend some artists?

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Default Re: Beginner Questions...

What part of Texas?

DFW area.

I can't really help you with your first two requests, as I'm just a beginner myself, but coming to the Mandolin Cafe is definitely a great first step towards learning how to play (or, trying to play) the mandolin.

As far as modern mandolin players, I'll go ahead and get the obligatory Chris Thile mention out of the way early. Thile is, I would argue, at the forefront of modern mandolin music. Plus, he's got a large body of work that is readily available via iTunes/band websites/Amazon. His work with Michael Daves is an excellent display of bluegrass music, and his stuff with the Punch Brothers is often described as 'Newgrass' which may pique your daughter's interest. I'm a big fan of both. If you're interested some outstanding musicianship from some of the top string musicians alive today, I recommend checking out the Goat Rodeo Session, which features Thile with three other outstanding musicians (Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer, and Stuart Duncan) creating some absolutely breath-taking musical landscapes.

... Having successfully penned the above love letter to Chris Thile, I'll end my post there.

I like Melbay.com to see what they have for book/cd combo sets. Having both together for music learning is great. I like to listen to something 20 times before I start reading it. That way the learning comes faster and the reading seems more natural.

I also like the free melbay webzine: http://mandolinsessions.com/.

Good luck.

Blog Entries

In terms of modern bluegrass, I really like the Del McCoury Band.

As for instructional materials, I know I got a lot out of the Mike Marshall Mandolin Instructional DVD #1 + 2. Especially #2.

As for Dooley ... you'll have to download the free TablEdit viewer - but mandozine has a great archive of TablEdit files of lots of songs [often the solo part only]. If you type Dooley in the text box, you'll find a version for free here:
    http://mandozine.com/music/tabledit_search.php
    It's a somewhat fussy process [vs having a nice book with everything right there] but sadly there is no one great book of bluegrass mandolin. For the songs that books miss [and once you move past books or want more obscure stuff] then the TablEdit archive and mandozine and TablEdit and Tab archives here [upper right on front page] are a great free resource.

Please, feel free to ask whatever follow up questions you want. There's a lot of people here who love to help the next generation of mandolin players, and a lot of parents who see the work you're putting in here.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

This might be good. http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?ProductID=20099BCD.
    Getting Into Bluegrass Mandolin Book/CD Set by Dix Bruce.
    It is for beginners.
    I bought some instructional DVDs from some well known performers only to find they were over my head. I think a book like this one would be a good start.

Herschel Sizemore is one of my favorite mandolin players of all time. This is from his web site: "Herschel has performed and recorded with some of bluegrass music's finest people during his career as a musician. Just to name a few; Jimmy Martin, Del McCoury, Vassar Clements, Bill Monroe, Allen Bibey, Curly Seckler, The Dixie Gentlemen, and The Bluegrass Cardinals."

He has a playing style that is timeless and works with the older styles of bluegrass as well as more modern styles. He has one of those styles that sounds easy, but not easy to copy. He would be a good choice to listen to and learn some things from. He has a instructional DVD and has a fairly recent CD.

There's also a very good selection of on-line pre-recorded video instruction as well as live lessons via Skype. Several Cafe members have commented on how useful that is.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Have her go here, and click on free lessons and free samples...there are sheet music/tab pdfs for download as well as videos and play-along tracks. http://bluegrassbooksonline.com/

I think your daughter would REALLY enjoy the "Bluegrass Fakebook" published by Mel Bay. "Dooley" is in there along with 149 other bluegrass chestnuts in easy arrangements.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

My best advice is to get her around some other musicians. I have three boys (16, 14 and 12) that have been playing almost 7 years and their inspiration and help from other musicians has been invaluable. You probably also want lessons - mine all took for about 3-4 years - but bluegrass musicians will usually drop whatever they are doing to help out a young person with an interest. That why jam sessions have been so helpful.

If possible, maybe you could take her to Pearl, TX It's a ways from you - near Llano - but it is a great, once a month jam that starts on Friday night and end on Saturday night. People bring their campers and spend the whole weekend. There are old people and teenagers playing together all weekend long. PM me if you want some more info.

You might also look up Gerald Jones He lives in the Dallas area. We met Gerald at Camp Bluegrass last year and I can honestly say he's the best mando teacher I've ever had. He has a bluegrass camp every August. I'm planning to go and bring a few of my boys. I would highly recommend it.

And check out Bluegrass Heritage Foundations Also in the Dallas area. The have several events throughout the year, including a great summer festival - Bloomin' Bluegrass. I think it's usually free. I bet they could direct you to some local jams.

And last... Camp Bluegrass It's way out near Lubbock, but we really enjoyed it. Central Texas Bluegrass Association (in Austin - I'm on the board) is taking scholarship applications right now for youth to attend summer camps. You should give it a try. Go to CTBA and click on "projects" and then "scholarships."

Good luck!
    Tracie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I think your daughter would REALLY enjoy the "Bluegrass Fakebook" published by Mel Bay. "Dooley" is in there along with 149 other bluegrass chestnuts in easy arrangements.
    Bingo.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mommythrice View Post
    My best advice is to get her around some other musicians.
    Yes absolutely.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Thank you, thank you for all your replies, advice, suggestions & links!! My daughter and I read all of them together and she's so excited to know that there's so much out there. She was starting to feel a little discouraged (not knowing where to find things on the internet) and feeling like she was the only person left with an interest in mandolin-playing. :-) We had no idea of the wonderful mandolin-loving world out there! THANK YOU!

Check out Sierra Hull and Sara Jarosz for some young female players. Have her check out this thread... http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...18#post1005618

She is not alone in the mando world
    Last edited by Rodney Riley; Feb-07-2012 at 10:44am.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    Check out Sierra Hull and Sara Jorocz for some young female players. Have her check out this thread... http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...18#post1005618

Was just about to post those two recommendations. Young girls need young women they can look up to. These are two great ones. IMO Hull is more traditional in the mold of older Alison Kraus type bluegrass. Jarosz incorporates more jazz and pop elements into her bluegrass base.

Quote Originally Posted by McGruff View Post
    Was just about to post those two recommendations. Young girls need young women they can look up to. These are two great ones. IMO Hull is more traditional in the mold of older Alison Kraus type bluegrass. Jarosz incorporates more jazz and pop elements into her bluegrass base.
    It might pay to go one step further and find a lady instructor/mentor.
    It shouldn't be too hard in a major Southern metro area like DFW.
    We are looking at the same issue for my wife here in LA, and yes there are women BG instructors here.
    I've been involved in teaching other skills for some years, and it was widely observed that no matter how good a male instructor
    women resonate best with female teachers. Your milage may indeed vary, but I take it as fact.
    You could look here, and many instructors do remote lessons on SKYPE, so you have options.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/...rmat=headlines
    Good luck, and god bless.
    Last edited by maki; Feb-07-2012 at 11:50am.
    I spent ninety percent of my money on wine, women and song and just wasted the other ten percent.

-- Ronnie Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by maki View Post
    It might pay to go one step further and find a lady instructor/mentor.
    It shouldn't be too hard in a major Southern metro area like DFW.
    We are looking at the same issue for my wife here in LA, and yes there are women BG instructors here.
    I've been involved in teaching other skills for some years, and it was widely observed that no matter how good a male instructor
    women resonate best with female teachers. Your milage may indeed vary, but I take it as fact.
    Good luck, and god bless.
    I have to disagree. Maybe it's because I'm no longer young... but all of my mando heroes are men. I want to play like them.
    Now I would prefer a woman to help me with singing because our voices are so different from a man's, but I think I should be able to play anything a man can play on my mando. I have a few friends that can't play FFcP chords because "their hands are too small". Thank goodness I was taking lessons from Billy Bright before I knew that women's hands were so delicate. When I first went to him he told me that if I wanted to play bluegrass, I had to learn to play those chords. Period. So I did. I know I would not have done the work if I ever considered that maybe I wan't able.

Hi,

I recently came across Mike Marshall's online teaching site, which is here, http://www.academyofbluegrass.com/publicmandolin It looks pretty interesting although I haven't tried it. Mike is a great musician and seems to be a generous one. Face to face teaching is no doubt preferred, but this is nice because it gives you 24/7 access to all kinds of songs etc. and also personal feedback at your own pace. The price is also very reasonable.

Good luck!

Tami

Quote Originally Posted by McGruff View Post
    To top that off we've had some of the members here who have put up videos of daughters who are taking up the mandolin as a family tradition and those old fogies like me that started on it late sure wish we could have gotten going at that age. Pretty cool stuff.

There is a bunch of us mandolin fanatics and most of us don't even bite.. well don't bite hard anyhow.
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by texmom777 View Post
    ...snip...
    - She's interested in finding more modern mandolin/bluegrass artists... I've bought her a few older bluegrass music CDs... Can you recommend some artists?
    Thank you and have a wonderful day!
    First off, I want to applaud you for your efforts to enhance your daughter's appreciation for music and for her instrument. Hats off and well done!

Regarding finding modern mandolin/bluegrass artists she might like, I recommend that she give a good listen to the Mandolin Cafe mp3 player, and note the pieces/performers that appeal to her most. There is such a diverse and complete sweep of mandolin styles presented there she is sure to find stuff that resonates with her.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Check out Sierra Hull and Sara Jarosz for some young female players. Have her check out this thread... http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...18#post1005618

Yep, and for non-BG mandolin content from an exceptionally talented young lady, check out Eva Holbrook's work. She's a phenomenal talent who's not shy about posting random stuff on youtube. Ranges from classical to rock guitar inspired electric mandolin...

Also see the Lovell Sisters, Sharon Gilchrist, Rhonda Vincent, Katzenjammer...

As for sites, check out Elderly Instruments and Janet Davis Music on the web. Both have an almost overwhelming wealth of instructional and songbook options. Have your daughter check out the tab here, also...some good stuff in there, and free. Of course, if she's learning to read music, encourage her!! But, there's a lot of free tab out there, too.

Good luck!
    Chuck

Oh and Welcome to the Cafe Texmom777 and Tami R.

Yes CES, Eva Holbrook is awesome. Right Ed.

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Check out Sierra Hull and Sara Jarosz for some young female players.
    Amen to that. Two brilliant players who are an inspiration regardless of one's age, gender or ability. Great stuff.

Get CD;s by Sam Bush, Herschel Sizemore, David Grisman (Home is Where the Heart Is), Mike Compton, Adam Steffey and of course, Bill Monroe. These may not be modern enough for your daughter but it is solid, solid bluegrass mandolin. Try to hook her up with some local jam sessions. They are a great place to learn if you overcome your initial fears and the fact that you are only a beginner. I've found most jammers are very tolerant and welcoming to folks who want to learn. Most of all, make sure she approaches the mandolin as a way to have a whole lot of fun.