Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: England made calton cases

hillbilly lion tamer Wilbur James's Avatar

Default England made calton cases

Who has a newer calton case made in England, How do you like them
    Dignity, Respect and Love, for who they are, not what they are.

Default Re: England made calton cases

Bought one a couple of years ago direct from Keith Calton. Buying one in the UK is simple - either 'phone him or email. Case was delivered on time and no money actually changed hands until the case was ready to ship - I did however order my first case from Keith in 1976 so I'm a previous customer. The case is solid, exactly as I expected and I have no complaints.

At the time, order to delivery took approx. 5 weeks but I suspect that the timescale may have increased since. Also, I'm not sure whether Keith is prepared to ship to the US or at what price - I've suggested this to several people but never found out whether anyone has asked. UK prices for a custom Calton seem considerably cheaper than a ready made case in the US.

I bought a mando case from Keith Calton last year. I'm very happy with it. It was a six month wait but he delivered it at the promised time. The queue may be longer by now, as he's probably handling more orders since the demise of Calton Canada. I like the rubber "domes" and "corners". They're 1000% better than the protruding rubber feet on the Canadian version that are subject to being knocked off. I chose the standard weight model. He has a new lamination technique that makes the standard model nearly as strong as the reinforced version, but still very light. International shipping is a bit pricy, but the total was less that the Calton Canada published prices. Like Ray, I wasn't asked to pay until the case was ready to ship.

You may find some folks who warn that Calton's can cause the headstock scroll to break off, but they're referring to an earlier model of many years ago that didn't have a neck rest. For a long time now Calton's have a neck rest that holds the instrument in place nicely. I don't see how this could be an issue with newer Calton's.

Steve

http://www.caltoncases.co.uk

Steve's Calton case does look very nice indeed & it's interesting to hear that the price isn't too exorbitant to import either. There have been instances on here where instruments have been damaged by having the headstock scroll broken off by impacting with the bottom side of a Calton case,but i'm sure the percentage is very small. However,many of us can't understand why Calton simply never made their cases wider at that point. My Lebeda Mandolin is quite a bit larger than my 'standard' sized Weber "Fern" & that includes the headstock width across the scroll area.I honestly haven't tried my Lebeda in a Calton case,but i'm pretty sure that despite the neck rest,the scroll would be pretty close to the side - too close for comfort maybe. So,why don't Calton get rid of the 'possible' cause of damage by making a case which is wider at that point ??.
    Ultimately,if your Mandolin fits with no problem,that's fine - but,if you buy one & it's a bit too close,then you have cause for concern if you're not careful. My choice of a really good,well padded out case with lots of room to spare was one of the new Hiscox cases. Even my lowly 'Travelite' case has plenty of room around the scroll. ( Hiscox pic.courtesy of fellow member 'Almeirastrings')
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lebeda + Ron Mc.strap 2.JPG 
Views:	358 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	82000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hiscox case.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	81999
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

To somewhat echo Ivan here: unless your instrument really needs a custom built case ('cos it's an odd shape), why not buy an "off the shelf" Hiscox case? I can't rate mine too highly, certainly I can't think of anything it doesn't provide that it should.... they appear to be pretty much indestructible too...

Just my 2c worth...

Thanks Steve, I aquired a new Calton from the classifieds, same as yours brown with the gold interior, from what i have heard, headstock issues have been solved with the new design as well, that is on England made Caltons. Also the new reinforced corners help with shock issues.

So,why don't Calton get rid of the 'possible' cause of damage by making a case which is wider at that point ??.

The question for all mankind right here. Now, from all I've read over time and from first-hand written accounts, it seems that this deficiency has been addressed with the 'new and improved' Calton mandolin case. In the photo above, it *almost looks like* the large headstock scroll touches the side up there, or almost touches the side. I'd be curious to know how much clearance there is right there.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    In the photo above, it *almost looks like* the large headstock scroll touches the side up there, or almost touches the side. I'd be curious to know how much clearance there is right there.
    That would depend upon the size of your mandolin as the only "standard" thing about a UK made Calton case is the outer shell. The size and shaping of the case innards is custom made for the individual instrument. I'm not aware that Keith Calton makes off-the-peg cases for shops, only cases for individual instruments. If in doubt, email him and ask!

Were I in the market for a Calton mandolin case, I would surely email the builder to fully discuss the dimensions. And I would insist that there be at least as much clearance to the side of the big peghead scroll as there is to the little peghead scroll.

To invest in all new tooling to make a case that's wider in the headstock scroll area,would be quite costly. But,it would remove any doubt in prospective owner's minds,re.any possible damage to the H/stock scroll,that in itself would be a good thing. I'd be on a safe bet by saying that there must be many folk who've 'thought' of buying a Calton case & who have been put off actually doing so,by knowing of the 'scroll area' problem. That the exterior shell of the case is 'fixed' doesn't leave much room for manoeuver on the inside,in that the only thing that can vary,is the padding thickness. Personally,if there wasn't at least an inch '' between the padding & the scroll '',i wouldn't buy one,despite the fact that i do think that they are basically a very good case indeed,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

In the photo above, it *almost looks like* the large headstock scroll touches the side
    Here's a photo of the headstock area from above. There's plenty of clearance. Remember the "red" is all fluffy plush lining; the black rubber edge is the exterior shell.

It's great that there are many choices of good cases. Pick your favorite! Be happy! I happen to like the Calton and I am not worried about the scroll breaking off of my Loar.

Steve

I am with you, I believe in being happy and confident with what you choose as a case or instrument, nothing is perfect in this world sometimes things fail that is an unfortunate part of life. I have heard more positives than negatives regarding Calton cases, yes some of the older cases have had the issue we speak of, Keith Calton addressed the issue supplying a neck support that keeps the mandolin firmly in place so that it doesnt move around. I am sure there are other Ideas and solutions to the matter, remember it is a choice we make in the end, there are alot of different case manufacturers to choose from these days and ther are a lot of Calton case owners who are Happy with their choice. look for the positive in a sometimes negative world.

Keith Calton, a very nice guy and blues guitarist, was kind enough to provide me with plush material so I could refit my older UK-Calton with a little padding under the neck and to the side of the head stock. I made sure the machine heads would bump into the padding, rather than the scroll.

My 9months old Calton...

Name:	caltonclose.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	82582

Name:	caltonopen.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	82583
    Last edited by jartop; Feb-16-2012 at 5:27pm. Reason: pic size

I don't know if they ever have been mentioned on here,i can't remember reading anything about them,but these seem to be a nicely made case - a sort of lightweight 'Calton' shaped case - the 'Matchbox' case. I don't know if they're available in the US,this is a pic.from the website of the German music store, Streicholz Schactel,
    Ivan

Name:	Matchbox Mandolin case.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	82599
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan, look at http://www.shuster.cz/e-shop/zakladn...ndolinu-6.html
    I think he is making cases for Čapek, Janish and many others...

I have one of those Shuster cases, I guess they're not that common over here in the USA? It came with my Lebeda F5 when I bought it, which makes sense with a mandolin made in the Czech Republic.

It's a decent case, a good balance between protection and light weight. It has a nice big accessory pocket that fits larger items like a StroboFlip tuner. It doesn't directly compare to a Calton though, since it's ABS plastic and not fiberglass. The ABS doesn't flex at all when I push on the top, but I'm not sure I'd want to stand on it. There is only a minimal seal when the case is closed, but it's okay if you keep it out of a direct downpour (out here where I live, what they call "rain" is more like "heavy mist").

It's been a good case, but I have a Pegasus on order to replace it. I just thought the mandolin deserved a classier home, although I know I'll pay a weight penalty with the new case. Also the Pegasus will be in a cream color, so I won't worry about brief sun exposure at outdoor gigs or workshops this summer. Black cases always make me a little nervous.

On the topic of weight - my new Calton weighs 7lbs, 10oz. It's 3 or 4 pounds lighter than the traditional Loar style case I was using previously. I believe Keith Calton has new manufacturing techniques that result in a lighter case than the Canadian Caltons. Anyone have a weight on a Canadian Calton mando case?

Steve

Thanks for that jartop. Those cases do seem to be very well made & a nice alternative to a Calton or a Travelite,if you don't need a F/glass case,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Hi all. Just wanted to share my experience with you.
    I just recieved my new Calton from Keith in England a few weeks ago.
    I really love that case. The rubber corners are a nice upgrade. The locks are a bit stiff but that's ok.

The scroll on my mandolin's headstock is pushed a little bit into the plush lining, but I am not so worried because of the nice and deep slot for the neck that holds the mandolin in place real good. Also the scroll on my mandolin might be a bit wider than say on a standard Gibson F5.

Name:	Calton-Mowry1.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	85056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calton-Mowry2.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	269.3 KB 
ID:	85057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calton-Mowry3.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	309.2 KB 
ID:	85058

To judge from the pics.above,the headstock scroll problem (for some folks) is still apparent. Calton are still avoiding the issue of 'possible' damage. Far less expensive cases have more headstock room AND a neck restraint.
    By the way gummia - that's a glorious Mowry,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

I agree, Ivan.

Mine is exactly the same. The 'curl' of the scroll still indents into the liner foam at that point. Great case otherwise - but for me, that is just crazy. The problem is that over time (it can take a few years) the neck restraint block gets gradually looser and looser in the 'hollow' around the neck, resulting in more lateral 'give' - so while they are pretty tight and firm to start with, this situation only gets worse. To sumarise - we have seen problems with Caltons, problems with Pegasus (loose linings), have questions over the impact resistance of CF, and not everyone likes the bulk of the Hiscox....

The 'perfect' case is yet to appear. Anyone thinking of making it would do well to check here first, I think....
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

With all of the chatter on the 'problem', over the years, I find it unbelievable that Calton still makes cases with so little clearance around the big scroll headstock area. Regardless of the specifics of individual F-5 measurements, enough room should be built in to allow no touch up there, with room to spare.

Simply crazy.

I received my calton case, England made, I bought it from a professional player, I am quite pleased with it and my Altman F5 fits snug and does not contact the case were the headstock scroll rest. I find many more people like their Calton cases than not, professional and the rest. If you have had experience with Caltons good or bad your opinions are justified, if not, don't judge on hearsay... What we choose is a choice, one that bears the responsibility, I feel I made a great choice that was based on my opinion, listening to more positives than negatives.

By the way gummia - that's a glorious Mowry,
    Thanks Ivan, it is so pretty and sound great too.

But for now I am not so worried about the headstock, there is no preasure on it though it touches the plush lining.
    And the mandolin does not move at all in the case.