Thread: New (to me) Washburn mando!

Always learning something Mo Soar's Avatar

Default New (to me) Washburn mando!

Had to wait ALL DAY to open the case* but here is a pic of my new Washburn M-7 SN asymmetric 2 point mandolin off ebay. The fit and finish are excellent - the net.consensus is that these were made in the early 80s, likely in Japan. The edges of the 2 pts are just about knife edges and true, the binding and inlay are just about perfect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trio.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	81797

(l-to-r: 2011 Eastman 504, 198x Washburn, late 40s Kay)

All 3 instruments have slightly different scales and neck widths.

I'm surprised by condition - there is a "belt buckle" scrape on the back but zero fret wear, zero pick guard wear and no other dents, dings, nicks or scrapes. The action is high, adjustment needed at both the nut and bridge and I suspect a lot of filing and fitting to be done to the bridge. The edges of the frets are sharpish and I THINK what has happened is that the neck has shrunk slightly, so a little filing will be necessary.

Changed strings to J73s - I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect these are strings are a decade plus old, if they've ever been changed. This is my first experience with a Gibson-style tail piece and I had to puzzle out why there are 12 hooks for 8 strings. I believe the answer is: "because." There is a thin leather strip in the tail piece, but I think those may be original?

Both the Eastman and the Washburn are oval holes - the Washburn doesn't seem as bell-like as the Eastman, maybe more "woody" and definitely louder. The notes are clean and clear, though. Some work in my future, but I'm very pleased. I order some Acquila nylon mandolin strings which will go on the Kay, so I'll have an interesting array of sounds.

*In stages - we have an IR temp gun, and first I waited until the outer box was within 10 degrees of the room and opened the box (it started 40 degrees colder). The I pulled the case out and let it sit until it was the same temp as the room and gave it another couple hours. During this process I re-discovered something I've pretty much always known - my middle name is not Patience (it's actually Maria).

Default Re: New (to me) Washburn mando!

Hi Mo, it's a nice looker. Congrats on grabbing it up. You've got a fine family there. Enjoy!

PS, those extra 4 hooks served a purpose in the old days--you would loop the unwound strings there first and then string them through the hooks parallel to the fretboard.
    Jim Owen
    Eastman 604
    Martin 00018
    1890's Washburn Parlor