Thread: Class Project sound file

Default Class Project sound file

Thought people may want to hear a brief clip of the prototype mandolin. It has my school-made single coil pickup. 5.9K with Alnico magnets. ~ 8000 wraps of 42 guage.

The person playing is a faculty member at our school. he is a very good guitar player and only dabbles in the mandolin. The sound clip was recorded on an I-phone then converted to mp3, so quality of sound probably suffers.

I'm pretty excited that it works...and to me sounds pretty good.
    Matt
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Class Project sound file

Very Nice Matt. Great to hear sound from the project.

Would you change anything about your pickup on future editions?

We need pics too!
    Chinn A-style
    Chinn BluesBird Emando #1
    Aria M-300BG 2 Point
    Kay Model 68

Good job Matt! Sounds like an 8-stringer, is it? I would like to see pics, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinn View Post
    Very Nice Matt. Great to hear sound from the project.

Would you change anything about your pickup on future editions?

We need pics too!
    Hello Chinn,
    Disclaimer: I'm a novice!
    What I like about the sound of the pickup and my e-mandolin, is that it sounds to me like a mandolin and not a small guitar. I know there are some here that like it the other way. I plan on trying to keep accurate number data about the pickups to figure out what seems to sound best. I have about 20 of these to wind and hope to keep them between 5.5 and 6K. Physically I could cut the size of the top and bottom plate of the pickup. This would allow me to move it around a bit more for optimum positioning. Overall I like my initial venture into pickup making. I'm pretty excited that it even works.

As far as the mando body goes, I don't like the neck joint I designed it seems to work well but it is a pita to lineup and drill correctly. I have many things to work out, and on top of that I keep thinking of cool things we could try...humbucker preamp circuit I have a low attention span. I'm attracted to shiny things.