Thread: Joe Val Fest

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

Default Joe Val Fest

Probably a bit early still to start this thread, but I'm getting excited (it's the only indoor/winter fest I can usually get to...) And it is less than a month away (Feb 17th -19th). Anybody else on here going? Anybody else sign up for Jesse Cobb's workshop friday?
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

Default Re: Joe Val Fest

well, February is around the corner, just days away. not too early.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Yes, I've got my Joe Val tickets, even snagged a room right at the Sheraton (they sold out in 7 minutes flat!). Also signed up for Jesse Cobb's master class, really looking forward to it. From what I hear, there are still a couple of seats left in case others want to join.

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

2 days away and still only 1 response, and I know other people on here that are going... I guess nobody reads this section of the forum?
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

The workshop schedule has now been posted: http://bbu.org/jvworkshop.htm. Lots of great mandolin workshops as well as what's going on at the main stage at the same time. All that plus random pickin' down every hall. So many choices, so little time!

My band (Big River Stomp) will be playing the second stage on Saturday at 7:30pm. I have no idea what to expect, I've never been to a bluegrass fest before....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Budz View Post
    My band (Big River Stomp) will be playing the second stage on Saturday at 7:30pm. I have no idea what to expect, I've never been to a bluegrass fest before....
    Hopefully you're coming early and staying around for the rest of the show. Here's the schedule for the main stage and your Showcase Stage: http://bbu.org/jv_schedule.htm Now that I know a fellow MC member will be on the showcase at 7:30, you'll have a couple of additional people in your audience.

Thank you kindly.

I got there for all 3 days. Went to Jesse's mando class on Friday, went home and got my honey and returned to hear Spinney Bros, Sierra Hull and Steep Canyon Rangers (the latter being her favorite BG band). Returned in the morning and over the course of the day heard some or all of Reunion, Amy Gallatin, Josh Williams, Special Consensus, Clair Lynch, and Gaudreau, Kelin and Edwards, and attended 4 seminars. Headed home a little early as I was fighting a cold and getting sucked into late night jamming would have been the end of me. Sunday returned for gospel and more with Darin and Brooke, Flatt Lonesome and Della Mae and attended another workshop.

Ran into lots of BG friends and acquaintances.

Terrific music and a super venue for winter grass. Highly recommended.

Best stage joke: Florida is God's waiting room.