Thread: Uh Whut?

From The Cafe Classifieds

1 # For Sale: Suzuki Bowel Back Mandolin

# # #

Not an unkind description. For a more acurate evaluation contact Victor on the classical board. I have one that I got off ebay. Mine however is pretty ragged but playable. so if anyone wants one cheap I'll donate the full proceeds to Scott to do with as he sees fit.
    Yes I have ten thumbs, how many should I have?

Those Bowel backed mandolins are great for playing the fourth movement of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.

Sorry Dale I couldn't resist.

GVD
    GVD

To clarify, Sean is certainly not suggesting that he actually bought said bowlback from me!

But his is a good idea: I suspect that many, many of us might have instruments whose value is far less than that of the labor needed to bring them back up to playable status.

Would it, then, be feasible for us to start some sort of "clearing house", whereby we "sell" such instruments to luthiers, wannabe-luthiers, and all those who want to use them as flowerpots or lampshades for, say, $10-$20-or-so, but have the "buyer" make a donation to the Cafe instead of paying us "sellers"?

If so, I would gladly throw in a couple of "lost case" instruments for the cause. What do you all think?
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

I think it's a great Idea and keep em comming.

My apologies Victor. I was merely recalling your review to someone who asked about one some time ago. As I recall it came down to industrial strength bowl and mystery wood neck. Well I believe you were more kind, but I own one and don’t need to be. Mine is actually quite playable. It rarely gets played however because I don’t much care for it. If I recall I paid eighty dollars including shipping. Cosmetic differences aside that is about what I think it is worth.
    Yes I have ten thumbs, how many should I have?

Oh, no offense at all, Sean.

I was just clarifying because, after your post, someone sent me an e-mail asking me whether I had other such instruments to sell. I knew your comments had somehow been misread...

So, I was just trying to dispel that misunderstanding, especially as I am not in the business of selling any mandolins at all. I just love them dearly and play them poorly. #

It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

I just saw this, myself. From what I've read in the past about the Suzukis, bowelback is probably an apt description of the tone from one of these...
    \"Try again, fail again, fail better\" - Samuel Becket