Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pick noise on professional recordings

garded

Default Re: Pick noise on professional recordings

I think as others, he has very sensitive hearing, and is very picky about what he hears.

I've also read over and over again where somebody decides to "fix" something in a recording, and re do it and, the feel is just not there. So they have left in clams that maybe somebody else wouldn't have.

I have to say I'm not a fan of pick click on my own mando, my florida has been scooped for decades now. Actually after I noticed JR had black electrical tape on his florida back in the late 80's is when I decided to have that done. Guess that's one way of getting around modifying a real Loar. Don't know if he still does that.

Just wondering if this FB extension issue might be a result of the modern "plays like butter" obession with regard to action and setup.
    I know people such as Mr Bush probably play stylistically different than in Mr Loar's day, but mandolins are still musical instruments and the method of playing can't be that different (step one - left hand fret. step two - right hand pick/strum).

Any thoughts or insights into the action of a modern setup compared to how an F5 would have left the Gibson Shop in the 20s?
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    I saw a show with Matt Flinner quite a few years ago where he had the extension on his Gilchrist wrapped in green or blue tape of some sort. It worked.
    Matt is one of my favorites! I hear click in some of his recordings. It's not overly intrusive.

If you had a Loar, wouldn't it be possible to remove the fret board intact and replace it with one without the extension?
    Flatiron 2MW
    Collings CJa
    Martin D15
    Tacoma EM9c
    30's Washburn Parlor
    Various electric guitars, basses and amps.

Yeah, pick click is fine. Jackhammers is too much, but a bit of pick click I can live with.

The original fretboards of Loars are often removed and altered boards (radius, scooped ext., etc.) installed. Easy enough to put the original back for re-sale. IIRC, Mike Marshall had a wider board with a scooped extension put on his. Of course, he also removed the Virzi from his with a screwdriver!
    Mitch Russell

That's good to know. But "what to do about the florida on my Loar" is not the kind of thing that keeps me up at night.
    Flatiron 2MW
    Collings CJa
    Martin D15
    Tacoma EM9c
    30's Washburn Parlor
    Various electric guitars, basses and amps.

Clicky Ricky. (But still wish I could play as well.)
    Steve Davis

I should really be practicing instead of sitting in front of the computer.

"That's good to know. But "what to do about the florida on my Loar" is not the kind of thing that keeps me up at night."

Something tells me it didn't worry Mr. Monroe, either!
    Not in all his years!

- John

To Folderpath...Don't think so. Shoot I'm a year older than him. So he's a youngster Personally I have no problem listenting to recordings of very great pickers like Skaggs with the pick noise and all. As a matter of fact I have no problem hearing finger string squeak across the fretboard either. It makes me feel like I'm very cose to the playing I guess.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

@ woodwizard, yeah you're probably right, I was just throwing it out there.

As for finger squeak, I like hearing a little of that in a recording. Not just fretted instruments, but also things like upright bass. It lets you know there's a human being behind the sound.

Pick click I'm not such a fan of, personally. When I got my one good mandolin I made sure it had a non-Florida fingerboard. It's actually stopped me from considering a few vintage mandolins over the years (nice old A4's and F4's), where I would have had to deal with it.

Ricky uses 16 track analog tape at his studio so digital isnt contributing to any click noise.
    Collings MT2 Varnish • Collings D1A Vintage Neck • Santa Cruz 1929-00

Quote Originally Posted by extremescene View Post
    Ricky uses 16 track analog tape at his studio so digital isnt contributing to any click noise.
    I had no doubt that someone here at the Cafe would have some info on this , thanks !
    '09 Passernig A5
    '82 Kentucky
    '05 Deering Sierra
    '81 Gold Star maple archtop
    '79 Guild D-35SB
    '98 Gibson J-100
    Mid 1890's German fiddle

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Default Re: Pick noise on professional recordings; so what

Everybody picks on Ricky Skaggs. But just listen to David Grismanīs Tone Poems I (Example: Morning Sun). He does some pick click also. But what the heck. Thatīs the way it is played.

Nobody gets worked up about flat pick noises, fingerpick noise breathing sounds on vocals etc. Itīs all there and you can hear it on quite some of the more modern recordings. Itīs part of the making process.
    Olaf

I'm no Ricky Skaggs, but I find myself "clicking" frequently, and in my opinion, not annoyingly. When I play, the heel of my palm is gently resting on the strings just behind the bridge which places the pick over the fingerboard extension. I have tried moving my right hand a bit further back to reduce or eliminate the pick click, but the slope of the strings negatively impacts the relationship of my fingers holding the pick, pick angle, attack, speed, etc...
    2003 Gibson F-9
    1998 Gibson Fern
    2003 Gibson Doyle Lawson
    2008 Gibson Master Model

One mans' noise is another mans' music.

In my case, it does make a difference how high my string action is - above the extension, that is. With a little higher action, I hardly ever touch the extension. As a side effect, the e-strings on my DMM sound a bit better. Also, a thinner and harder pick, such as Blue chip or real tortoise, tend to make a higher pitched noise that I don't find so annoying.
    Monroe had a high action throughout most of his career (certainly partly due to the odd neck set of his Loar after an accident at some point) and hence not much audible pick noise on the extension. I wonder if it's for that reason that I still listen to his recordings so often.
    Yours, Hendrik

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Hendrik,

handposition on Monroe tunes is crucial. Thatīs why you talked about the action (at the Florida). There wonīt be any click on "Bluegrass Stomp" and like tunes, because the picking hand is between the bridge and the Florida. Thatīs partly why I wonder about the fuss that is being made about pick click. So many factors play a role when it comes to click or not to click. Click can be noticable when the recording setup picks up the fly on the wall (mainly due to modern recording equipment and ideas). Different recording setups may supress click. Also setup and technique causes click or not. Tremolo over the extension leads to click sometime (hence the Grisman referrence). I think that there are other things to worry about than click.
    Olaf