Thread: Making adjustments on an instrument with a fixed bridge?

Default Making adjustments on an instrument with a fixed bridge?

I have a Nyberg bouzouki that I love but it has a bit of buzz on the highest string pair when fretted above the seventh fret and before the twelfth fret. I am not certain if this would require bridge adjustment or fretwork. Any insight?
    TIA

Default Re: Making adjustments on an instrument with a fixed bridge?

You are very specific about the location of the problem area. Being smack in the middle of the neck I might suspect lack of relief and recommend a truss rod adjustment but the problem would show up on all the strings I think. Same goes for a high fret. Nevertheless, I might be tempted to just loosen the truss rod up a tad to see if a bit of added relief makes it go away.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Try to determine if it is buzzing on one particular fret. If so, that can be remedied by re-seating or polishing that particular fret a little. Otherwise as Don says, a truss-rod tweak could be in order.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

I'm going to disagree with Don slightly, and suggest that if it's buzzing in the middle of the neck, that could be caused by having too much relief in the neck (ie a dip at that point due to the string pull). But whatever, a quick eyeball down the length of the neck should show who's right

Otherwise as Frerbear says, a fret may have worked a little loose/high.

I am not familiar with your particular instrument (looks great by the way), but it is likely that your instrument is responding to seasonal change due to any number of factors,. Air conditioning and/or winter heating. Before you try filing the frets I would make a slight adjustment to the tuss rod and if in doubt call the manufacturer for advice, Once you file the frets there is no turning back, short of getting it refretted, and that costs $.
    Bart McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    I am not familiar with your particular instrument (looks great by the way), but it is likely that your instrument is responding to seasonal change due to any number of factors,. Air conditioning and/or winter heating. Before you try filing the frets I would make a slight adjustment to the tuss rod and if in doubt call the manufacturer for advice, Once you file the frets there is no turning back, short of getting it refretted, and that costs $.
    Where do you see it?
    Bill Snyder

There are pics of it on the Nyberg website. FWIW I tried tightening the truss rod and it got worse so I loosened it a bit and will see.

A fret rocker should be used to find if there are uneven frets. That is a short straight edge to span 3 frets at a time. If the rocker rocks, the middle fret it sits on is high in relation to the other two. If there are no high frets then the problem may be too much or too little relief, or settling in the neck/fingerboard. I suggest you try to find the problem before changing anything. Turning the truss rod will flex the neck some and raise or lower the strings a bit in the process. This MAY help by lifting the strings a bit but if the frets are uneven it just masks the real problem and leaves you with a higher action than necessary.

My luthier shimmed under the saddle. Problem solved! Thanks for suggestions.

Does this mean the action at fret#12 is too low to start with ?
    That's the first thing I would have checked, getting fret#12 and nut action at my preferred levels (low).