Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Lafferty Mandolin Road Test

Default Re: The Lafferty Mandolin Road Test

Figured it out - Nevermind !

Dennis says that the Lafferty has arrived back at the Mandolin Store and is ready for whomever wins it.

Seems a shame that you had to ship it all the way back to AZ when it's home is here in Alabama.

Have they said when on the 15th they would be drawing... Morning... noon.. night?? Just want to be watching my email is all!

Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

Plinkity,Plinkity Hillsdale Leroy's Avatar

Fellas, everybody knows the new guy always wins this kind thing. Oh wait, that's me. Hotdog.
    Because mine has eight, does that make it twice as cool as a ukulele?

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale Leroy View Post
    Fellas, everybody knows the new guy always wins this kind thing. Oh wait, that's me. Hotdog.
    I'm newer than you, so according to your logic I have a higher chance of winning although really everyone who entered has like a 1 in 7100 chance. Still better than the lottery
    Pierce Luthiery - pluthiery.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Mandolin Store View Post
    I'm having a ball working on The Lafferty mandolin project. I do want to publicly thank Mike for taking the time to do the review with pictures and even sound clips. It was most appreciated. I really hope the winner needs a new mandolin and can really enjoy it! Good luck to everyone.
    I can say one thing for myself . . . apart from this drawing I will NEVER own a mandolin as nice as this one. Even if money were not an issue, convincing the family to spend that kind of money on a hobby would never fly. In a nutshell . . . I NEED to win this . . .

BTW I love the color . . . almost coffee-ish, combining my oldest hobby (coffee roasting) with my newest (plucking). Beautiful instrument.

To me everything about the hand carved american made Lafferty mandolins scream Summit mandolins as the builder.I could be wrong,but all one has to do is look at the builds as well as the sound and price point and to me it clearly says Summit mandolin build.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandobutter View Post
    To me everything about the hand carved american made Lafferty mandolins scream Summit mandolins as the builder.I could be wrong,but all one has to do is look at the builds as well as the sound and price point and to me it clearly says Summit mandolin build.
    Dennis has long since revealed who was involved in the project, ask him privately and I'm sure he'll tell you.
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Did they stop making them? I noted none in the give away this year.

Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

Worst kept "secret" in the mandolin universe.

They still make them I think. There is one on sale for Black Friday, 2499.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Zombie woof!

Paul is till building the F mandolins for us. It was only a secret in the very beginning to create more buzz about them. I let the cat out of the bag after a few months. I stopped doing A's as there was just too much competition at the price point. That is certainly subject to change. I did not do a Lafferty giveaway this year as we did not have enough product. I did recently try a couple of models from a new builder but that information is still confidential and we are evaluating how to proceed with those. Audie Ratliff also built a handful of Laffertys for us but he is so busy building his mandolins that it was hard to get consistent production numbers.
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Mandolin Store For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: The Lafferty Mandolin Road Test

Dennis ... thanks for the history lesson... never knew the full story....
    Blessings,
    Kip...

I can say one thing, Dennis sold me a Lafferty F model and it's a really fine mandolin. I have played on literally hundreds of mandolins of every make and model since buying the Lafferty and I have not found anything in a similar price point that is as good of an instrument. I didn't care who the builder was because I trusted what was described to me when I was looking for a USA luthier made mandolin in that sweet spot price range. I couldn't be happier.

16. The following members say thank you to Nashville for this post:

I picked up a Lafferty La-2 oval hole in nearly new condition some time ago at a great price. It's a wonderful mandolin. A great player and a great woody sound which reminds of a great old Gibble A. It's so beautiful and tonally unique that I don't think I'll let her go.

18. The following members say thank you to George Henry for this post: