Thread: Aquila Mandolin strings ?

Default Aquila Mandolin strings ?

Hi all

Thinking of buying a set of Aquila Mandolin Nylgut medium tension strings for a second mandolin which I like to play renaissance tunes on but have two questions,

1. The G and A string length required from the hooks to the tuners needs to be approx 28 - 30 ins, the peghead is similar to a violin which alone is 9/34 ins in length from the nut, but obviously with 8 tuners, will the strings be long enough?

2. I understand the strings have no loop so best way of attatching and securing the strings without them unwinding.

Any suggestions would be truly appreciated.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Re: Aquila Mandolin strings ?

I've never tried their mandolin string set, but I have a lot of experience with their ukulele sets.

I assume the mandolin is some version of a bowl-back, so you'll probably use the 'knot-in-the-slot' method similar to a soprano ukulele. If you have a tailpiece that would allow them to be tied on like for a classical guitar, that would be better, I think.

I don't know the exact length of the mandolin strings, but all the ukulele sets are cut significantly over long (don't tell Ivan! ). Of course, theye're not terribly expensive, so it might be a fun experiment.

Be aware that Nylgut stretches like mad. You'll need at least several days' re-tuning to get them settled in. I hope you have a string winder to save your fingers! Hundreds of turns of the tuners might be needed. At least that's how it works for the ukulele, and I can't imagine it being any different for a mandolin.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Quote Originally Posted by Tim2723 View Post
    I've never tried their mandolin string set, but I have a lot of experience with their ukulele sets.

I assume the mandolin is some version of a bowl-back, so you'll probably use the 'knot-in-the-slot' method similar to a soprano ukulele. If you have a tailpiece that would allow them to be tied on like for a classical guitar, that would be better, I think.

I don't know the exact length of the mandolin strings, but all the ukulele sets are cut significantly over long (don't tell Ivan! ). Of course, theye're not terribly expensive, so it might be a fun experiment.

Be aware that Nylgut stretches like mad. You'll need at least several days' re-tuning to get them settled in. I hope you have a string winder to save your fingers! Hundreds of turns of the tuners might be needed. At least that's how it works for the ukulele, and I can't imagine it being any different for a mandolin.
    Hi Tim 2723

Thanks for the info, the mando is a flat back and has the normal 8 hooks on the tailpiece, I
    guess I will wrap the strings around them, and tie up similar on a classical guitar.

Yes take your point about the strings stretching forever, I have enclosed photo of the mandolin so you can see why I was concerned about string length. and a string winder is a must.

Regards

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3186.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	81060  

Here is a link that shows how to tie a very effective loop that will not slip. I used this knot very effectively in Nylgut when restringing an old banjo uke with a hooked tailpiece.

http://www.animatedknots.com/perfection/index.php
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Friction tuners ala violin pegs? , I'll say the nylon string is just about the only way I've been OK
    with those , without the stretch it's hard to hit the pitch on a short steel string, W/O reduction gear .
    have a banjo-uke with a wooden head
    I'm. thinking of getting a set of Pegz the 4:1 violin peg looking tuners installed on it
    to overcome a difficulty keeping the E Grover friction uke peg from slipping
    under the tension needed to reach pitch.

Is the Aquila Mandolin string set same as 2 of the Uke GDAE sets?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Friction tuners ala violin pegs? , I'll say the nylon string is just about the only way I've been OK
    with those , without the stretch it's hard to hit the pitch on a short steel string, W/O reduction gear .
    have a banjo-uke with a wooden head
    I'm. thinking of getting a set of Pegz the 4:1 violin peg looking tuners installed on it
    to overcome a difficulty keeping the E Grover friction uke peg from slipping
    under the tension needed to reach pitch.

Is the Aquila Mandolin string set same as 2 of the Uke GDAE sets?
    So sorry, forgot to mention the pegs are wittner fine tune geared violin pegs 8.5 :1 ratio.
    what a brilliant link re the perfect knot.

Can't thank you enough!!

Regards

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by saez View Post
    So sorry, forgot to mention the pegs are wittner fine tune geared violin pegs 8.5 :1 ratio.
    what a brilliant link re the perfect knot.

Can't thank you enough!!

Regards

Steve.
    Hi Mandroid

Seen strings on amazon uk, £15 supplied by a german supplier, listed as Aquila M1 mandolin strings gg.dd.aa.ee, do not know if they are 2 sets of uke strings though.

As for the geared pegs, I am sure you get a wider choice in the states but you won't be disappointed in your purchase, the wittners come in different sizes and tapers for violin and cello, mine were 8.6mm diameter at ring ( to fit peghead ) and taper 1.30.
    I had a luthier fit mine mainly because it was going in for a set up anyway, but I would have been slightly nervous at doing it myself not having a reamer etc, drill not recommended.

Regards

Thanks for your advice

Steve.

Anyone import Whittner? to the US? 8.5:1 is better than 4:1 ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Post Re: Aquila Mandolin strings ?

Hi Mandroid

Can get them on ebay, wittner fine tune pegs, make sure you check for correct sizing though.

steve.

I just noticed their nylgut mandolin strings; seems intriguing. I've been a user of their soprano uke-in-5ths strings for a while now, and have been pretty pleased. If you use those, note that the E string is roughly the guage of fishing line, so it can bust very easily if you're not careful....
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

But I hate Ebay.. and PP.

nevermind ..
    http://www.wittner-gmbh.de
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoviol View Post
    I just noticed their nylgut mandolin strings; seems intriguing. I've been a user of their soprano uke-in-5ths strings for a while now, and have been pretty pleased. If you use those, note that the E string is roughly the guage of fishing line, so it can bust very easily if you're not careful....
    Hi Mandoviol

Thanks for your kind info, do you think they are just two sets of ukes in fifths as someone has already suggested, if this is the case I have probably wasted £8 on delivery from Germany.
    I can get the uke sets online with less than £1 post, anyway whats done is done, by the way are you happy with the volume and brightness of the strings on your uke, do you need to mic up?
    I have also seen some saprano uke strings available in the UK in fifths, but they are pure nylon e.a.d and the g is silver wound on nylon, at £5.50 I may give them a go.

Regards

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoviol View Post
    Quick update, received aquila 1M mandolin strings and fitted yesterday, sounds nice and very easily playable, had to tie a loop in the string ends but I contacted aquila to ask if they were 2 sets of soprano uke strings G D A E, to which their reply was "no they are completely different"
    The downside to this is living in the UK, I can only get them from aquila direct (ITALY) or A german supplier, postage alone is £8, strings cost £15.

Guess the benefits of the nylgut strings are they last longer.

Regards

Steve

Hi Mandoviol

Thanks for your kind info, do you think they are just two sets of ukes in fifths as someone has already suggested, if this is the case I have probably wasted £8 on delivery from Germany.
    I can get the uke sets online with less than £1 post, anyway whats done is done, by the way are you happy with the volume and brightness of the strings on your uke, do you need to mic up?
    I have also seen some saprano uke strings available in the UK in fifths, but they are pure nylon e.a.d and the g is silver wound on nylon, at £5.50 I may give them a go.

Regards

Steve.
    Hey Mandoviol

Yes you were right, I put a nice tailpiece on it and made sure there were no sharp edges, (filing down) and SNAP went the E string.
    Dont think it is worth the aggro of replacing as they are three times the cost of steel strings, aquila have said uke soprano nylgut gdae are completely different to mandolin 1M so will just put it down to experience.
    Regards

Steve.

Fascinating! I use Aquila "minstrel" nylgut on my vintage banjo, but did not know they had strings for mandolin. Have not seen these for mandola - any suggestions?

Always learning something Mo Soar's Avatar

Put a set of these on one of my mandolins tonight - yes, you have to tie loops (I tied bowlines), it is a complete PITA to tie the wound G, the longer D string (the G, D and A string pairs are noticeably different lengths, the Es are very close) is barely long enough, and, even after filing and sanding the nut, bridge and tailpiece to remove any burrs, sharp edges or anything that would hitch a string, I still snapped an E string while tuning up. So I tightened the next E on my now-7-string mandolin to C and left it to sit and get used to the idea for a bit.

It's a little frustrating after the time and trouble the first 6 strings took (which included a bunch of "okay, now, the rabbit goes DOWN the hole and OVER the log..."). Well, off to order another 2 E strings. Or maybe 3.
    Last edited by Mo Soar; Feb-17-2012 at 9:14pm. Reason: added
    1918 Gibson A, "Lillian";
    1940s (?) Kay A style f hole - currently down for a refret and fretboard re-profile, my first attempts (with guidance) at lutherie.
    1981 Washburn M7SN (2 point);
    2011 Eastman 504, "Belle";
    2012 Lafferty mahogany octave mandolin;
    2012 Emando (Saga), "Hank"

1 husband, 2 dogs, 4 chickens.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Guess the benefits of the nylgut strings are they last longer.
    One would think so, but that hasn't been my experience. The solid strings don't seem to last any longer than other uke strings, and their wound strings have a disturbingly short life. So much so that their low-tuned ukulele sets are offered with separate wound strings available since they need replacing constantly. They even recommend that you buy several single G strings for every full set you purchase.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Always learning something Mo Soar's Avatar

... and it was all for naught, as the remaining E string snapped around the third cord I played. Also the "stretch-in" time looks to be a bit too long for my impatient self. I couldn't even make it through a verse without having to stop and retune (the remaining 6 strings). The tonal change wasn't really what I was expecting, either, I had something more like the difference between a steel-string and nylon-string guitar and that's not really what it sounded like.

Chalk this up to a noble experiment that I doubt I'll repeat. Maybe a GDAE soprano uke is in my future.
    1918 Gibson A, "Lillian";
    1940s (?) Kay A style f hole - currently down for a refret and fretboard re-profile, my first attempts (with guidance) at lutherie.
    1981 Washburn M7SN (2 point);
    2011 Eastman 504, "Belle";
    2012 Lafferty mahogany octave mandolin;
    2012 Emando (Saga), "Hank"

1 husband, 2 dogs, 4 chickens.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Well, live and learn I suppose. You did manage to leave a valuable thread behind, and that's a plus.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Don, thank you for this helpful link! The perfection loop really made it possible to fix the Nylgut strings without any issues! Even no problems yet with the E strings.

roady43

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Here is a link that shows how to tie a very effective loop that will not slip. I used this knot very effectively in Nylgut when restringing an old banjo uke with a hooked tailpiece.

http://www.animatedknots.com/perfection/index.php

My Boat Paddle mandolin came strung with the Aquila's. In fact, the mandolin is designed for nylon strings. The sound is very clear, precise, and warm. It's definitely easier to play.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0731.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	91842

Destroyer of Mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by delray48209 View Post
    ... In fact, the mandolin is designed for nylon strings.
    That is probably the difference. Putting nylon strings on a standard steel strung instrument is another matter entirely.

Welcome to the Cafe!
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Name:	mandobanjo 1.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	122967To revive an old thread...
    I found this while googling "Aquila Mandolin String Gauge" because a couple of Aquila E strings had randomly snapped on a 4-string fretless nylon mandobanjo I made as a travel instrument -weighs nothing and no angst if I break it. I didn't want to spend the $$ on a full set when I still had the original and replacement a,d and g strings. I was hoping to buy some sort of equivalent single nylon string, but the e strings are too fine to do that. However, this being a low-fi instrument, I took inspiration from mando viol's quote about fishing line, and strung it up with some 12 or 14 pound test (estimated) monofilament off an old reel. Lacks a little brightness but functional for the purpose.

Name:	mandobanjo2.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	122966
    The tailpiece is just a piece of wood drilled out for the strings, and the knot serves to hold the string in place. The e string is so fine that the knot is insufficient, so I strung it through a bead from a craft kit.

Elderly says the sets were discontinued.

guess Ill stay with what has worked before .. 3 lower strings from Martin's Baritone Uke sets
    and the thinnest ones from their soprano sets .
    get several spares ... reaching that High E pitch is pulling it quite tight.

tone is fine .. the G could be substituted with a classical low E as is its the same as the A..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Has anyone found a new source for nylon mandolin strings? I have an old bowlback that is not worth restoring to use modern steel, used the Uke set, not long enough (until after I wound them, they stretch quite a bit!) for 4 courses, strung with just the 4 strings. I read where someone is piecing them together with guitar and uke strings. Is that going to be my best bet?