Thread: Unwanted harmonics on strings not being played

Default Unwanted harmonics on strings not being played

I am new to the Bouzouki so this may be technique driven. My issue is if I play the open d strings I get a fairly loud harmonic out of the g strings that rings on after I mute the D. Is this a reflection of my lack of muting that string which for me would be difficult when I am playing melodies on the D A and E stings.

Default Re: Unwanted harmonics on strings not being played

Some might say that droning is a positive attribute of a bouzouki. It may be a matter of learning to play to it's strengths. Many will tune to an open tuning like GDAD or ADAD so that the sympathetic droning adds to the hamony.
    Jim Baker

No such thing in my book... I'll take any extra sounds I can get... GDAD rules...

Quote Originally Posted by jwalsh31 View Post
    I am new to the Bouzouki so this may be technique driven. My issue is if I play the open d strings I get a fairly loud harmonic out of the g strings that rings on after I mute the D. Is this a reflection of my lack of muting that string which for me would be difficult when I am playing melodies on the D A and E stings.
    Wait a minute! Bouzoukis don't have E strings! ;-)

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

I know my cello's strings between the tailpiece and bridge are pretty durn lively, I have to actively dampen them to minimize that, and I have ringing in the strings with my mandola. In both cases I've had to adapt my technique a bit. Of course, those things also get added to the List Of Justification to support instrument purchases...

C.
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

also suffers from GAS

Weber makes something called a "wood nymph" to dampen "unwanted harmonics". See http://www.soundtoearth.com/products.php?cat=30 For me, "unwanted harmonics" is an oxymoron.
    Steve

1919 Gibson A4
    Mid-Missouri M4
    Mid-Missouri M80
    Ratliff R5
    Davidson Brazilian
    Richard Beard Bouzouki

Carpe Mandolinium

This is something I've heard about but never tried (and it's cheap).

If the harmonics are coming from the portion of the strings between the tailpiece and the saddle, just weave a thin string of leather (something like a leather boot lace) tightly through that part of the strings; once through, reverse, and back through.

This doesn't cost much. And in case the extraneous sound is coming from somewhere else, it might help you narrow down the source.

Good luck.

== John ==
    == JOHN ==

Music washes away from the soul the dust of every day life.

--Berthold Auerbach

You can go down to your local hardware store and buy small rubber grommets that fit between the strings for $.25 each, or you could also order them from the guy that gave them some really cool name and charges $5 a piece for them. Either way, they work great.

Blog Entries

Original question was not concerning strings ringing behind the bridge or beyond the nut, but in the playing length. This is normal, and desired sometimes. Instruments have been popular that had sympathetic strings do just this, e.g. sitar or viola d'amour. But one note can stick out too much for one's taste, and this is something one has to manage. Electric guitar players learn to do this for when they are using lots of overdrive, which exaggerates the relatively quiet sympathetic notes. If they don't keep them damped the result is very dirty.

One either uses the left hand or the right hand, as needed, to damp open, unused strings. But mostly, if you are banging away at a decent volume, the sympathetic ringing will be barely noticeable, and mostly pleasing.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational