Thread: Fender Bob Schmidt signature model?

Default Fender Bob Schmidt signature model?

Says here that Fender has issued a new signature model from Bob Schmidt of Flogging Molly, based on the FM62SE (Bob plays a couple of 62s with the band).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d5962e77e4d35955034e905ad190e49f.JPG 
Views:	605 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	80899

Let's see ... add a weird headstock decoration, get rid of the tone knob, move the output jack from the endpin to the top, slap on a different tailpiece, and you've got a signature model? I'm a little disappointed. Doesn't even have the "8" decal on it ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1090624174_0d46ebfeb2_z.jpg 
Views:	1680 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	80898
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Default Re: Fender Bob Schmidt signature model?

Agree it should have the 8 decal.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Just a thought on this, had the FM62e been discontinued?
    Perhaps a return to shelves is enough reason to cancel out any disappointment.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

I have always loved the FM62e's. I am seriously considering getting one of these in March. I was looking at a Loar, or used eastman, but love the combination of acoustic (albeit it probably light in the volume dept) and electric.
    Bulldog #24

Any opinions as to what this would do to the value of a secondhand fm62sce?
    $429 brand new list price.
    The Ashton Bailey adds $50 value straight up, (now you can steal a spare string from your guitarist).

What are you saying? The Ashton Bailey takes ball-end strings?

Even with a conventional mando tailpiece, you can always nick a spare guitar string if you've got a set of pliers and decent string-castrating technique. I've done it hundreds of times and seldom if ever lose a string.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Can't see why not. I use ball ends with AXL tailpieces(very similar, though asymmetrical) and it works better than trying to get the loops over the posts and get them to stay while you restring.

Any thoughts on prices?
    $429 seems like a pretty good deal...

Any worries about feedback with that sort of pickup? Also, never having played one, (or the ability to get to one to try it) how are they unplugged?
    Bulldog #24

Bob Schmidt doesn't seem worried about feedback. Bob Schmidt bypassed his tone knob!

I'm not sure, in all honesty, how this affects the price of a used FM62SCE, or whether it has any effect at all. Certainly you can't sell a used FM62SCE for more than the discount retail price of a new Schmidt, but I doubt you could have sold one for that much even before the Schmidt hit the fan. The last used FM62SCE I had never did sell. I traded it to Ken Cartwright for a Zeta MIDI controller ... given that Zeta is now kaput and people are selling these MIDI controllers for big bucks, I think I did all right.

There's an fm62sce listed on flea bay for about 100 less than the list for a Rob Shmidt at the moment.
    Probably comes down to cosmetics and personal opinion on the lack on tone pot.

To me, I would rather flip the $100 and get one from a dealer. I want to be able to access customer service if needed, not that I expect it. I really like the prospect of being able to play this on the back porch AND plug in! I do really like the pot as well.

Now, to figure out what amp to plug it into! LOL
    Bulldog #24

I really wish I could PLAY one of these, or at least HEAR one. Not much on the net about them. Kind of hard to jump into this without SOME exposure!
    Bulldog #24

Always part of the deal with buying online.
    It's a new model... Some should start appearing in brick and morter stores shortly.
    That being said, it's largely based on a tried and tested model that is proven or plug and play performance.
    The jump isn't all that big, how hard can you fall?

I just got mine (no case included BTW), and it has great action and projects more than I thought it would. Not that this mando would make itself heard unplugged in a bluegrass band, but I think you could play some folk or blues with a guitarist on the back porch without an amp. It has a warm, robust tone, not thin or overly high end. It is not a solid top, but perhaps that makes it less "hot" with the piezo pickup. I bought mine on eBay with a Best Offer of $350, and I think I got my money's worth. And I like the dark wood finish better than the yellowy sunbursts, aqua blues, and candy apple reds of the previous Fender electrics. The loss of a tone knob is no big deal for me.