Thread: Electric Mandolin Camp?

Default Electric Mandolin Camp?

Has anyone ever heard of an electric mandolin camp, syposium or conference? As in 4, 5 and even 8 string players might come away with a little knowledge and maybe some new skills. I guess maybe the logistics of getting your equipment to and from might be a problem, still it would be cool to find one. If it's ever been done.

Default Re: Electric Mandolin Camp?

Paul Glasse was an instructor at The Mandolin Symposium a few years back and did a class on electric mandolin...Aside from that, we're a pretty rare breed.

Well, Don Stiernberg and Rich Del Grosso are much in demand as clinicians of late ... some adventurous mandolin camp ought to invite Don and Rich and set up an emando track.---

There was an event in Indiana a couple of years back honoring Yank Rachell ... I don't think any emando-specific instruction was involved, though.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

That was the Midwest Mandolin festival in Indy which brought Don Julin or Rich DelGrasso, can't remember for sure which, in to perform and do a seminar to coincide with the Yank Rachell release. I showed electrics at the festival on several occasions and donated one to raise funds for it. I can't speak directly to its demise but it was a great gathering and was gaining some momentum. I'd be interested in organizing one if I could find some assistance in the initial financing and recruitment of talent. If we did it in Indiana then it would be an easy trek for the likes of Don Julin, Don Stienberg, Sam Bush, Jim Richter not to mention a number of builders. We could even host it at Bean Blossom and make Bill roll over in his grave.

I spoke with Don a couple of weeks ago (via Skype lessons) and I think these players (Don Julin, Rich Delgrosso) and possibly some others are going to put together a mandolin camp "For the Rest of Us" this summer in Southern Indiana. However, I'm uncertain about any details. Hopefully it happens around the time I get back home to Indiana!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around and play mandolin.”

That doesn't surprise me. Jim Richter has been organizing some events in Bloomington as his schedule permits but I believe it is acoustic, blues focused. I'd guess that he is the driving force behind it. He's a fantastic mandolin player and advocate in this area. Where in Indiana are you from?

I don't think an exclusively electric mando event/camp would go over very big, but it seems that with the right people you could at least have an electric workshop as part of a larger event.

Is Mike Butler still around? He might be able to teach something on Yank-style mandolin.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I agree. There's a broad diversity in electronic mandolin music, and a camp might do better to focus on the type of music rather than the medium of choice. Otherwise you'll have traditional players with amplification going up against metal types. Might be fun to watch actually.

I agree it would have to be a "part" of a bigger conference, and it would probably be a good idea to narrow the focus down to a couple of genres. I don't think it should be too specific such as in a "Post punk industrial goth gospel" seminar, but more along the lines of how the cafe breaks the genres down. Seminar A is for Rock, Folk Rock, Rockbilly, and Seminar B is Jazz, swing and blues.

I think it would really be based on response, or demand. Are there 20 to 30 people willing to pay a couple hundred dollars for a morning and/or afternoon seminar? Not to mention their individual travel expenses, which for me look to be around $1,000.00 for a flight, another $200.00 for a hotel etc. I would have to have plenty of time to save up for something like that.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

It's an interesting idea to say the least. I'm toying with the idea of hauling my Mann Bari over to Wintergrass just for grins.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Quote Originally Posted by mandopete View Post
    It's an interesting idea to say the least. I'm toying with the idea of hauling my Mann Bari over to Wintergrass just for grins.
    Let's do it! Jesse Brock was practically drooling on a JL Smith I had there one year, and I attracted some attention with a Fender FM-984 another year. Sammy brought an old '80s Washburn electric once (I guess his Mandocaster was in the shop).

Blog Entries

I think we might have a quorum for west coast---and I was thinking about the symposium this coming June. We'll just find ourselves a room and try gear while we trade tips and riffs.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Quote Originally Posted by thistle3585 View Post
    ... Where in Indiana are you from?
    Andrew, I'm relocating back around Indianapolis this summer. Are you near Bloomington?
    Beautiful looking K Model mandos (Mahogany bodied) on your site too.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around and play mandolin.”

Blog Entries

The Mandolin Camp for the Rest of Us is my rock and blues camp that ive organized and teach in Bloomington. don julin is to be a guest of mine this year.

This is electric mandolin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2xZf...e_gdata_player

The "Rest of Us" camp is certainly appealing. Thank for posting about that. If I can work out the travel part I'll sign up.

Cool, Wintergrass electric time!!!!!!!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pete Jazz Guitar Collective April 2010.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	81061

If you guys set up an electric time, let me know, I'll bring my Mann.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Tom mentioned the Mandolin Symposium in June (Santa Cruz) and possibly an impromptu emando gathering. I've not attended a Mandolin Symposium/camp etc and I'm curious about security for your instrument(s). I have been thinking about attending this one being as it's only a few hour drive for me and I might be able to put together the money. Has there been any problems with theft of instruments for those staying on campus? I'm not sure I'd want to lug around 2 mandolins and a little battery powered amp the entire time I'm there. If my wife comes along for the trip we would get a hotel off campus, but then she may not want to babysit my instruments all day. Any suggestions or comments?

Blog Entries

Last summer it landed in an off week for me, so I'm very tempted, especially if they will let me come in for just one day at a discount. I'm hoping it happens at the same time this year, last week of June.

I'm thinking of driving up from my girlfriend's place in Temecula. As long as we have cars we can lock in those. (I probably would stay in a hotel with my girlfriend.)

One or two of us could undertake to provide amps, others can just bring pedals, perhaps.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Okay, you talked me into it. We'll definately carve out some time during the mando gathering at Wintergrass to delve into world of eMando!
    2015 Chevy Silverado

I'll have to bring the collection then. Bacorn 5-string, Yanuziello, National Silvo, Gibson EM150, Fender FM-984, Roberts Tiny Moore, Old Wave e-mandola, Schwab tenor, Silvo tenor, Rigel R100 ... and whatever I still have that's on the sale block, like Tsai Little Ricky if he's back together by that point, Armstrong 5-string, Earnest resolectric tenor, probably a Jerman, JBovier, Josh Hegg e-octave, etc.

Martin,
    When is that? Maybe I can send you a couple instruments to take to it.

Wintergrass is Feb. 23-26. I'd be happy to bring anything you want to send along.

I have succeeded in disemboweling Little Ricky, but I may not be able to send you his guts until it stops snowing.

I'd come to that, too...I'll bring my Mann emDc 5...
    Tab

Okay, it's on - we gonna eMando at Wintergrass. See the thread up in the "places to jam" section of the Cafe and I keep ya'll posted!
    2015 Chevy Silverado