Thread: Fun with MandoBanjo

Smile Fun with MandoBanjo

I bought this MandoBanjo off of Ebay. It's a no name and has no manufacturer's marks. I changed the tuners with a set of Economy A-Tuners from StewMac.com. I replaced the rusty hooks with all new hooks and nut I found at Ant Hill music that looked similar and were 30's style reissue hooks. The head size is 10" and I installed a replacement head (thin goat skin) from Elderly.com. I bought the 16" because it's easier to work with. I strung it with a set of John Pearse 2050L Phospher Bronze light strings. The current bridge is a 5/8" from who knows where some type of wood mandolin bridge. I ordered a 1/2" bridge from Anthill Music. I am trying to lower the action just a bi more and think that with some sanding and a 1/8" shorter bridge it will be more comfortable to play. It has a chunky funk banjo sound and once I get the new bridge I will post a mp3. I am refurbing it as a player instrument for me, but if you want to buy it I will let it go for $1K.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1318.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	80713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1319.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	80714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1320.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	80715
    --- Fiddlemike

Fiddle: A violin played with attitude
    Banjo: Best with whiskey and a rocking chair
    Mandolin: Let the Madness begin!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fun with MandoBanjo

Lookin good.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Default Re: Fun with MandoBanjo

Cool stuff. That's an Oscar Schmidt-built instrument (Jersey City, NJ) from around c.1910-1920 in terms of timeframe.