Page 1 of 13 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandolin Cafe Pick Tour

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Okay Sportsfans, here it is, The Mandolin Café Pick Tour!

Yes, it’s real summer fun coming your way with the Mandolin Café Pick Tour. Here’s your chance to test a number of picks in the safety and convenience of your own home. These picks were collected as part of the “Picks For Pete” thread and special thanks go out to Mandodude for kicking this off. Here’s how it works:

Send me an email with your mailing address and I will compile a list of all of the pick tour participants. Once I have the list together, I will send the tour on its way to the first participant who can pick away to his or her heart’s content. Once that person has had their fill, they will be responsible for sending the picks to next participant on the list. That means that you will be responsible for the packaging and postage to send the picks along. For the purposes of the first leg of this tour we may need to limit this to the United States, but I would like to open it up to other countries, I’m just not sure how to do that yet. All I ask is that you keep the picks in order and don’t keep them for yourself – let’s spread the love!

Now you may be asking yourself, “how can I add to all this fun and merriment?”, and well you may ask. Please feel free to add picks to the tour. Please don’t add picks we already have, but if there’s one we’re missing, add it to the collection. It might be nice to see how many “regional” picks we can get. You can usually find these at your favorite music store. All you have to do is fill out the white card on the “pick-pocket” and slide it in, baby!

Now I’ve tried to think of the best way to package this so we can tell what the picks are and keep the whole mess together. What we have is individual “pick-pockets” with a label for each. It’s my hope that this will help you identify a pick if you happen to like it. I don’t know how well the packaging will hold up and you may have to replace that as we go.

Sound like fun? Heck it beats watchin’ re-runs of West Wing, don’t it? I’ve even added a few surprises for good measure, so let’s get this here tour fired up. You can send your mailing address to me at:

petekbcs@hotmail.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pick_Tour.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	335  
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Hey Pete! Any chance you can wait for mine? I just put it in the mail today. (Sorry for the delay.) I suppose it should get to you by Wednesday or Thursday.

Well sure, we don't want to leave anyone behind!
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Thanks, Mandopete.

Mandopete good buddy,

Another reason to limit the deal to the US is one you probably may not have thought of. It is probably illegal to bring both tortoise shell and elephant ivory into Canada. There is a law here against importing products from threatened and endangered species. Typical Canadian thought would not consider if the tortoise shell was from an old comb or if the ivory was from an animal that was 100 years dead.

An Armadillo shell charango from peru would not be allowed in, the thought being that it would encourage indigent South Americans to kill armadillos just for the shell.

part of the ongoing government process.

Oh, please....

Pete...
    Very cool idea!

Very cool idea Pete.
    You're spreading the love back to your humble followers.

This sonds a really beautiful idea - maybe this can be enlarged outside US in the future.
    Just curious: Who has made the long Silvio Raineri -style classical pick on the right on the lowest line? What is it made of and could someboby describe experiences? Looks very interesting.

thanks, Arto

Sounds good, I'd be into checkin' out some of the oddball stuff.
    mick meinsler

My pickin buddy saw a BIG dead sea turtle out on an island the other day. he said he thought about cutting some shell loose. But didn't because of the stink and because of the stink the law would raise. ...boy too bad all that shell going to waste out there.

Quote Originally Posted by (Arto @ July 27 2003, 13:57)
    Who has made the long Silvio Raineri -style classical pick on the right on the lowest line? What is it made of and could someboby describe experiences? Looks very interesting.
    Arto,

This pick was mad by Dvatchka (here on the board) and the pick was made from piano-key ivory. #You can see a better picture and review in the "Picks For Pete" thread.

2015 Chevy Silverado

How long do we have until you plan on starting this? My address will be changing in a few weeks as happens to dorm residents when they move to or from school. So what's the deadline as I won't even have my address until I move in (I'll have my dorm room number, but not my mailing address)

Also, I'm sending atleast one pick to the "Picks for Pete" thing, but I'm holding off TRYING to get another that's been rather hard to aquire.

Nikki
    It's "Appalachia," (Apple-at-chuh), like I'm gunna throw an apple atcha' if you correct me again.

For the "first leg" of the tour the cut-off date to send your information to me will be Friday, August 1st. #I already have 15 tour stops booked and I want to get the show on the road.

But don't despair, I would be more than happy to start a second-leg for anyone who missed it the first time around. #Just send me your information when you have it.

Thanks,

mandopete

2015 Chevy Silverado

Hi Pete,

My pick is in the mail now, too. Hope it will arrive before Friday. (I should think it'd get there in time with no problem, except for the rather disheartening fact that I just received something today from Brooklyn with a July 7 postmark, that I had given up for lost!)

I'd wanted to create a pick for this event all along, but have been very busy. And, of course, it couldn't just be an ordinary pick. It had to be just that right combination of "mando-friendliness", once I figured out what the heck that meant (to the likes of you, that is!), good-looking as well as functional, and of course, witty without being coarse! It sometimes takes us "artists" a bit of waiting to get just the right, ummm, inspiration, but I think I was zapped by the muse just in the nick of time. Let me know when you receive it!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Bratsche,

Hopefully it will make it here before the tour bus leaves

You might also notice that we have one of your picks (sent in by Jan Jan) included already. #It's the teardrop shape, 2nd in on the 3rd row.

2015 Chevy Silverado

MandoPete, I don't know if you got my pick yet, but it was mailed last week. You may not want to include that one, but it is up to you.

Hey mandopete, I just sent you my address using that "email me here" function. It all kinda went "poof". Did you get my email? If not, you'll see my return address on the envelope of the pick that I sent ya. Thanks. Od

Hey Mandopete, how long are we allowed to hold onto the picks? I think two or three days is sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by (Django Fret @ July 28 2003, 19:17)
    MandoPete, #I don't know if you got my pick yet, but it was mailed last week. #You may not want to include that one, but it is up to you.
    You mean this little jewel? #I love it! #How did you get the lettering on there? #Might be nice for others to "personalize" their picks too!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando_Pete_Pick.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	339  
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by (OdnamNool @ July 29 2003, 03:36)
    Hey mandopete, I just sent you my address using that "email me here" function. #It all kinda went "poof". #Did you get my email? #If not, you'll see my return address on the envelope of the pick that I sent ya. #Thanks. #Od
    Yep, got it, you're on the list.
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by (fishdawg40 @ July 29 2003, 14:39)
    Hey Mandopete, how long are we allowed to hold onto the picks? #I think two or three days is sufficient.
    So far I have 24 people signed up for the tour. I think 2-3 days is probably suffcient to check out the picks. Keep in mind that shipping may take a day or two, I don't want to drag this thing out forever
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Jehanne

Mandopete, did you get my email?? Are you going to list the tour order or names?? This is too much fun!
    Life is too important to be taken seriously - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by (jehannarc @ July 29 2003, 16:08)
    Mandopete, did you get my email?? Are you going to list the tour order or names?? This is too much fun!
    Yes, I will compile and post the list as of this Friday, August 1. The plan is to launch the tour on that date and if I get more people who are interested after the bus leaves, I can set up a second leg.

Hey, maybe I could even be like Cher and and call it the Final, Farewell Tour (no really, I mean it, seriously)
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Mandopete, #that pick was mechanically engraved with your handle on it, and then paint filled. #I don't know if will help you get a better grip on the pick, but it should. #Glad you liked it.

Apparently the post office was able to deliver it addressed to "Mando Pete" without the last name on the envelope. #They must be getting used to all the pick packages by now.