Thread: Shipping damage with UPS or FedEx

Default Shipping damage with UPS or FedEx

Has anyone had damage to an instrument you were sending or receiving by UPS or FedEx? If so, how well did the "insurance" or excess declared value program do in taking care of the loss. I know there are some pretty strict packaging guidlelines for musical instruments which can give them an easy out if the item does not meeting the carrier's packaging guidelines. Was the loss evaluated and paid by the carrier or its insurance company? Were you able to get it replaced or did they want to repair it?
    Thank you for any comments or answers you can provide in these areas.

Default Re: Shipping damage with UPS or FedEx

I believe we have had 5 losses in 10 years. One was a return where the damage was caused by improper packing on its way to us. I prepared a suitable demand letter and the issue settled. One guitar problem possibly resulted from a poor fitting case provided by the manufacturer. Another guitar impacted by cold damage. Both of those settled when the instruments returned in boxes with no padding after inspection. We claimed the original damage couldn't be separated from the damage caused by the carrier in failing to repack properly and asked for all inspection reports and other evidence demonstrating the original damage and that the original damage had been caused by our negligent packing. Both settled. Ear broken off a headstock. Again, after inspection the package was returned to us without padding. The final one - a box of bows was crushed. I photographed the tire marks across the box and they settled. We do not use tires in our shipping dept.

When unpacking something damaged, photo or video the unpacking. Full documentation. Write a great letter.

Good luck!!
    Stephen Perry

I am battling the PO now over a damaged Tiple. I am appealing their denial of a claim. What a joke, those people are totally incompetent jerks. If this appeal doesn't work, I guess it's a law suit. Long drawn out can of worms.

I had to make a claim for a remote control boat I shipped with canada post. the damage ended up more than I insured it for. I sent a money order out before I even made the claim to pay for a body shop to fix it (fibreglass hull). I was pleasantly surprised when they paid me back the cost of the money order instead of just what I insured for. only claim I've ever made in thousands of shipments and was truly positive.

I hate ups and fedex myself. they have some real shady cross border tactics on fees (that they charge you after delivery). don't send anything ground to canada from usa. if the person refuses to pay the brokerage fee, the shipper gets stuck paying... read the fine print, they did it to friends of mine in Cali shipping me stuff.

I shipped a 1959 Fender tweed Deluxe amp that was dropped and dented badly by UPS on one corner a few years back. After submitting the claim and waiting for an inspection, UPS never returned my call. Finally, after not hearing from them for a month, I called UPS again and they told me that they misplaced my claim and I would have to resubmit it (thank goodness I made a copy of it before sending the original in!). After sending the claim to UPS the second time and after numerous calls...a year had passed and UPS finally paid my insurance claim. It seems you have to be really persistent with UPS to get your claim paid, but they did come through in the end. I guess the old adage rings true...the squeaky wheel gets the grease, LOL!

I've been shipping trans-Atlantic with UPS for 5 years now. So far no damage or loss, fingers crossed.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Patience, documentation, and continued pressure will generally win.

On cross border, I think the funniest thing on this end was UPS wanting fees from me for an instrument sent for repair. Had been shipped from a UPS store in Canada with no notice to the shipper that this would happen. We refused the package. Later went down to work it out and UPS staff just gave it to us! Much later, we got a bill for the charges addressed to Mr. Violins (Gianna Violins). I contacted UPS and told them they didn't ask for any money when we picked it up, and it's too late now. UPS feller lied, said we'd signed for it. I told them "good luck." So UPS turned the account for Mr. Violins over to a collection agency. The collection guy threatened to ding Mr. Violins' credit rating. I asked him what SSN he had for Mr. Violins. They went away. So somewhere in a file is an unpaid brokerage bill for Mr. Violins!

This brings up the packing issue, of course. I urge people returning instruments to pack them the same. Pay attention in unpacking. Do the packing well. You will be the one out the money if the instrument is damaged through your negligent packing.
    Stephen Perry

Interesting comments so far. I have concluded that UPS, FedEx, and USPS charge a premium rate and then look for ways not to pay a claim, so it is more like liability insurance instead of full protection. What the carriers may be willing to pay for damage is probably another story.

There is Shippers Insurance available from companies on the internet or through the shipper's own insurance company or agent. The rates for the same coverage are much lower than the mentioned carriers. Companies who ship a lot should look into this option. In addition for a little higher rate, the shipper can buy primary insurance that gets away from the "Declared Value" concept. In the meantime, with this better alternative, the shipper and the receiver are usually happier and should receive a fair settlement. The carriers are in the transporation business and not in the insurance business and they charge higher rates for what they provide under the Declared Value concept. The companies that sell Shippers Insurance probably want some assurance from the shipper that there will be proper and adequate packaging. Most companies already do this, but who knows what individuals do. For individuals who do their own shipping and packing, they should carefully read what is required by that carrier for musical instruments to make sure they are complying and not leaving the door open for total denial based in improper packing and packaging.

From experience guys, never send anything valuable through the USPS, uninsured. At least 50% will be stolen if it is not marked insured. 30yrs. in the Mail Order business and I have never lost an insured item, and only one insurance damage claim, and they denied that one that I am appealing.

http://networkfob.com/pdfs/claimprimer.pdf

It's not really insurance with common carriers. It's already covered. But you can get a discount by not covering it. I don't know the structure with the USPS.
    Stephen Perry

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I had a claim with USPS for some medical books that I shipped to my daughter. They lost them. I filed a claim and they asked for more time to look. I said OK. Didn't hear back for 3 months so I called and they said my claim had expired. I said nice try. Then they asked for original receipts for the books, which I did not have. Claim denied on that basis.
    Living’ in the Mitten