Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waverly tuners

Again, apologies for my ignorance...I see some high end mandos with Waverly tuners. Are these tuners in current production? Are they better than say, Schaller mandolin tuners? If so, why? Anywhere where one can look at pictures of them online? Thanks in advance.

I guess I should ask this instead: can the individual Waverly guitar tuners I have seen be used on a mandolin headstock?

Registered User BluegrassPhilfromFrance's Avatar

Yes they are definitely GREAT. I put some on my Monteleone Grand Artist and she thanks me everyday ! You can buy them on special order at www.stewmac.com
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

You put indiviual gtr tuners on your Monte? There must be some misunderstanding. Response to berkeleymando: I wouldn't, but others might.

The guitar tuners are great tuners. I would not put them on a mandolin. The mandolin tuners are produced from time to time. I think anything is better than the schallers. However, I think the Waverly's are not the best tuner available. Just my opinion however.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

From what I understand, builders attention to detail,in the installation of the tuners, (accuracy of the drilling of the headstock) makes a large difference, and the (they're 4 on a plate too) waverlys only more so... because youre paying $400 bucks for the parts...

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Joe, what tuners do you like the best?

Quote Originally Posted by (Big Joe @ Dec. 06 2004, 09:50)
    The guitar tuners are great tuners. #I would not put them on a mandolin. #The mandolin tuners are produced from time to time. #I think anything is better than the schallers. #However, I think the Waverly's are not the best tuner available. #Just my opinion however.
    Thanks Big Joe. I hope to get my hands on one of your mandolins one day.

You addressed my intial question: I see on the Waverly web site guitar and banjo tuners, but not mandolin tuners. Stew Mac doesn't have Waverly mandolin tuners anywhere on their web site. They do have the banjo and guitar ones: I assumed that when used on mandolins eight instead of six of the guitar-ish tuners are there. Anyone have a picture of a set of Waverly MANDOLIN tuners? I am still yet to see them.
    Thanks.

A-model Waverlys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wave.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	5303  
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Big Joe,

You seem to be quick to give your opinion on tuners, (which are best and better). Waverley`s come on the Master Model. I would assume only the best for the high end models.

Question, what tuner comes OE on the Distressed Master Model? There again, I would assume only the best money can buy.

Darrell
    Gibson MM #V-70335 5/2002

Our tuners may change from time to time depending upon what is available and what is best. The Waverly's are great tuners, but I don't like them as much as I do the Grover's we have had built for us. There are a couple of problems with the Waveryly's. First is the weight. They are significantly heavier than any of the originals. The extra mass on the headstock is not generally considered a good thing. The Grover's are closer to the weight. The second thing is the Grover's seem to hold tighter. They are an 18:1 ratio as opposed to a 14:1 with the Waverly. That may not be significant to anyone, but I like them better. The Grovers are easier and seem to be a little less temperamental.

You may see either on the mandolins. The Waverly's have been the ones we have used for several years because they were the best available at the time. We think the new Grover's are more than acceptable and they are more readily available. The supply of Waverly's is not as consistent and can stall our delivery time on our mandolins. We may use either depending upon which is available at the time. In either case you can be sure you are getting a great tuner that will meet or exceed any standard we have set. Thank you.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

I had the impression that more weight on the headstock would improve sustain and volume which is why peghead overlay's are not a very light wood like mahogony. just my thoughts on this.

The gear ratio is one thing, but aren't Waverly's so tight, hold well and easy to tune with because of the terrific tolerances they are made to?
    I'm not knocking the Grovers, but Wavelys are made by hand in a shop that does nothing but.
    Grovers are good tuners, but its a factory environment, regardless of who's specs they're manufactured to.

So where might one obtain the Grovers that are made to spec for Gibson? I would like to try a set on my Shallered F9.

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

Contact BigJoe Steve, he can hook you up with a set.
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

And for the record, I absolutely love my Waverly tuners and wouldn't replace them with anything else. #However, the Gibson Grovers are very nice tuners. Has anyone heard anymore about Stew Mac outsourcing the labor on the mandolin tuners so they are much cheaper?

If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

I have the Grovers on my F-9, and they are nice. I can't imagine spending $400 on tuners. Then again, if you have money, I guess it's no big deal.
    --Prof PT

Don't hate me because I know how to spell and punctuate!

BigJoe,
    I've been thinking about Waverlys for my Gilchrist but would consider the Gibson Grovers. How can I get more info on them such as plating options, button materials, photos, cost,etc. Thanks. - Ken

What are the stardard tuner brands for the different Gibson models?
    Play, play, play!

Jacob Hawkins

There is a great website which tells/depicts the story of Dudenbostel making two mandolins - one of which is Chris Thile's. Here is the link. Dudenbostel Mandolin Making... I am on dialup so you'll have to find the picture for yourself, (there are over 100 photos documenting the process) but there is one of him installing the Waverlys and you can see the box in the picture too....

Great website by the way.

ADM

PS There was a set of Waverlys as a door prize at the Kaufman Kamp this summer. All i won was a CD.
    Alan

Come on Big Joe, you didn`t answer my question

Darrell
    Gibson MM #V-70335 5/2002

Thanks, everyone for all the informative posts. I love the mandolin cafe!

Hey Darrell...I think I did answer your question. We use whatever is available that fits the requirement for that mandolin. In the distressed either are distressed to resemble the original as best as possible. The same with the MM. If one has a preference we can put either on if they are available.

The tuners can be ordered through the Gibson Bluegrass Showcase. There are times they are not available because they are used first for production and if any are left over we sell them through the store. They can be reached at 615-514-2200x4. They can give you pricing depending upon what finish you want. Thank you.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Registered User BluegrassPhilfromFrance's Avatar

Sorry to be late to answer the former question ... No, I would never put guitar tuners on my mandolin ! I put Waverly F-style mandolin tuners on my Monte. I also have a Beltona resonator guitar with engraved Waverly tuners. I have Waverly guitar tuners on my Cheval 000-45 replica guitar and I even put some Waverly banjo tuners on another guitar Franck Cheval built me (call me a Waverly fan )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00354.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	5317  
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

Hey Dem...You are correct that increasing the mass or weight on the headstock does increase the sustain on an instrument. For some instruments that would be a desireable thing. For mandolins that is not usually considered a good thing. The 'chop' or tone we are looking for is created by limiting the sustain of the note. If you increase the sustain you can get some sustain that can be less tonally attractive to most mandolin players. I am always a believer in the different strokes for different folks philosophy, but in general the increased mass is a detriment. We are always trying to find a way to get a superior tuner with very little weight. The best we have found so far is the Grovers. Thank you.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest