Thread: Maybe someone can help me out...?

Default Maybe someone can help me out...?

I am looking for some help to identify this mandolin and was referred to this forum
    I have attached a few pictures. The back story is, that this was given to my grand mother circa 1930, it was already a used mandolin. It was professionally restored in Europe (where we are from originally)
    The most identifying mark i take would be the figurine headstock, but the only mandolin I found like that, was a Vinaccia, but it looks slightly different.
    The paper on the inside is gone.
    Is there anyone that can give me an idea of what it is? Thank you VERY much in advance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin1.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	79976Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin2.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	79977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin3.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	79978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin4.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	79979Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin5.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	79980

Default Re: Maybe someone can help me out...?

It looks at first glance to be a nice instrument- certainly better than the average. It has some features in common with a German-made Calace inspired mandolin that I have, but not enough for me to say it's German rather than Italian. The details say early to mid 20th C to me, some of the styling like the pickguard and block fret markers are more on the "modern" end of classical mandolins and show up from the teens on.

Thank you, i had searched Calace but never found one with the figure head like this, that is why i said it might be vinaccia because i found one similar to it with the figurine. My grandmother had it given to her in her teens, which would be in 1930's and it was previously owned by someone before that.

It does look like a nice build, and not entirely Neapolitan but not quite all German either. Somewhere in between (do they make mandolins in Austria or Switzerland?).
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Well, I am from Switzerland, but I have no idea if it was built there.
    My mom told me, that my Uncle (on my Dad's side lol) wanted to buy it off of her for 8'000 and he owns a Music Store that specializes in Violins and Pianos. So i am sure he knew or at least thought it wasn't just any type of standard mandolin. She of course didn't want to sell it, and still wouldn't, but she is interested in finding out about it, as my grandmother has just passed away recently.

The peghead being a head is something you see in german lute guitars as well- they were in fashion for a while. It may have caused someone to resurrect the style on a mandolin during that time. The use on italian mandolins went out of fashion before this one was made, I think. It wouldn't surprise me if were one of the better German makers. Too bad there's no label.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRR View Post
    Well, I am from Switzerland, but I have no idea if it was built there.
    That was more of a geographical joke than a serious question. I'm not aware of any specifically Swiss style of mandolin building.
    My mom told me, that my Uncle (on my Dad's side lol) wanted to buy it off of her for 8'000.
    In Swiss francs? That's a very generous offer (about US$8,500). Only 2 or 3 of the best Italian makers could get that kind of money for a bowlback. I guess if it were indeed a Vinaccia, that could be an appropriate price.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls