Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Punch Brothers: Who's Feeling Young Now

Blog Entries

Default Re: Punch Brothers: Who's Feeling Young Now

Download Price on Amazon is down to $6.99 WOW.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thanks Mark, and the guy from NC on the time signature question. I'll give a listen and try and follow along. It does have an acoustic tape delay slap back sound that I think is pretty slick.

I take it that the boys will be on Jay Leno tonight. Should be cool.

B.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robertson-Tessi View Post
    That would have some chords which are much longer than others, and if you listen to them they are all even except for the one hiccup every two bars.

Code:
    mando
    4----5----6-----|-1----2----3----|4----5----6-----|-1----2----3----
    x---x---x---x---|x---x---x---x---|x---x---x---x---|x---x---x---x---
    bass
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there, well mostly (I come back to this later). To me, the notes very clearly come in groups of three and not six, and the only parts with even spacing are the even measures when he just plays the off beats (minus the last one).

Try tapping out the down beats with your right hand and the upbeats with your left; when I do this it matches my pattern

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachia View Post
    Code:
        measures |1              |2              |3              |4              |
    steady count |1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &|1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &|1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &|1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &|
        mandolin |X     x   x    |  X   x   x    |X     x   x    |  X   x   x    |
    Now to why I mostly disagree with you, but partially agree! I will say that what you've written seems to be what he's playing at 2:56, when it's just mandolin, but when the other instruments come back in he goes back to my pattern. So thumbs up on that!

To me, the notes very clearly come in groups of three and not six, and the only parts with even spacing are the even measures when he just plays the off beats (minus the last one).
    Try tapping out the down beats with your right hand and the upbeats with your left; when I do this it matches my pattern
    I took the section just now and ran it through a slow-downer to 1/3 speed. And... I'm convinced it's the 5 against 4 pattern that I posted. Do you have a slow-down program? Check it out!

Edit:
    Put together this quick midi file of the difference between the two rhythms. The first half is played as with the 5 against 4 I described. Then after a few seconds pause, the same 6 bars using your syncopated pattern. To my ear, the rhythm sounds like the first version...

MvtSynco.mp3

Cheers
    MRT
    Last edited by Mark Robertson-Tessi; Feb-15-2012 at 9:05pm.
    Altman F5
    - Website
    - YouTube videos

I will say this . . . if Thile's lyrics are even halfway autobiographical, he's a misogynistic egomaniac rivaling John Mayer. His views of women are pathetic.

But catchy!

Registered User Rosemary Philips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McGruff View Post
    I will say this . . . if Thile's lyrics are even halfway autobiographical, he's a misogynistic egomaniac rivaling John Mayer. His views of women are pathetic.
    Can you give some examples? Not disagreeing, just curious...

I'm also going to see them on the 25th, in Burlington, VT. Very much looking forward to hearing how the new songs sound live and less processed. The album's growing on me, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ro56 View Post
    I'm also going to see them on the 25th, in Burlington, VT. Very much looking forward to hearing how the new songs sound live and less processed. The album's growing on me, by the way.
    I'm driving over to Wilmington this weekend to see them, and I'm excited to hear them live. If nothing else, Chris Thile/Punch Brothers show banter is always enjoyable!

I just watched the Jay Leno show performance from last night on Hulu and noticed that the Dude is back!

Just hulu'd that, as well. Glad to see the Dude is at least being used. Such a great sounding Mandolin. I would like to think that Chris reads the forum here and saw my comment. Thus, he used the Dude to make a fan happy..

Or maybe I have a giant ego.

Since he was plugged in, perhaps the Dude has an internal pickup that the Loar does not.

Dangit, Cole. Don't crush my dreams.

Can't buy it for $6.99 as advertised on cafe home page because apparently I'm in the wrong country... So much for globalism....
    Mando: Weber Bitteroot

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Booth View Post
    I just watched the Jay Leno show performance from last night on Hulu and noticed that the Dude is back!
    And it sounded great! I gotta say that I really love the LOAR and have really gotten used to hearing it and like how it's changed Chris's playing.

I totally love the new album, even if it it's considered by some to be "very produced." It sounds right to me and think it completely fits the style of the music. There's just so much going on on this album and so many influences that can be heard on here: Radiohead, The Beatles.....even one song (Patchwork Girlfriend) sounds a bit Tom Waitsish. I think this album is all about the songs and the band playing together as a single organism.

Brilliant.

Aaarrgh... Can't watch the Leno performance either for the same reason....

Ah well at least I got listen to the free track that was advertised.. and I liked it..
    Mando: Weber Bitteroot

Quote Originally Posted by coletrickle View Post
    Since he was plugged in, perhaps the Dude has an internal pickup that the Loar does not.
    He was plugged in but I think he was using it for his external clip mike that you can see during certain angles during the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robertson-Tessi View Post
    Put together this quick midi file of the difference between the two rhythms. The first half is played as with the 5 against 4 I described. Then after a few seconds pause, the same 6 bars using your syncopated pattern. To my ear, the rhythm sounds like the first version...

MvtSynco.mp3

Cheers
    MRT
    Ah, I concede, my pattern is way off. Your's is very very, ever so elusively close in the midi clip, but it just doesn't quite feel right (especially the 3 note from your pattern).

Code:
    mando
    4----5----6-----|-1----2----3----|4----5----6-----|-1----2----3----
    bass
    I think it might sound closer if you move the 3 back a sixteenth like so:
    Code:
    mando
    4----5----6-----|-1----2---3-----|4----5----6-----|-1----2---3-----
    bass
    Here's what that sounds like: mvtsynco2.mp3

EDIT: I'm still relatively new to this forum, and I'm still getting acquainted with its features. The file is downloading as a ".mp3.html" for some reason. Anyone have some tips on how to fix this? For the time being you can just rename the file with only ".mp3" at the end, and it should play fine.
    Last edited by Appalachia; Feb-17-2012 at 1:10am.

Has anyone seen them this tour? Good?

I've only seen Nickle Creek live, big Thile fan... but not sure if a night off work is worth it just to check 'em out.

...but it just doesn't quite feel right (especially the 3 note from your pattern).
    Agreed, there's probably some microtiming going on. It's tough to play these syncopations robotically precise in real life, especially when you get a hiccup in there!

And I've had the mp3.html problem on the forum for a while. Thought it was just me. I'm on a MAC, and it happens with both Safari and Firefox...

Cheers
    MRT
    Altman F5
    - Website
    - YouTube videos

Quote Originally Posted by DavDav View Post
    Has anyone seen them this tour? Good?

I've only seen Nickle Creek live, big Thile fan... but not sure if a night off work is worth it just to check 'em out.
    I've seen Chris Thile by himself in Durham, and that was pretty good. I'm going to see the entire band this weekend in Wilmington and I'll post here when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ark Isle View Post
    I'm driving over to Wilmington this weekend to see them, and I'm excited to hear them live. If nothing else, Chris Thile/Punch Brothers show banter is always enjoyable!
    See you there!
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

Always learning something Mo Soar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aran View Post
    Aaarrgh... Can't watch the Leno performance either for the same reason....

Ah well at least I got listen to the free track that was advertised.. and I liked it..
    Well, there are many, many things I've tried to listen to or watch on the BBC site and can't because I'm in the US, so it works both ways...
    1918 Gibson A, "Lillian";
    1940s (?) Kay A style f hole - currently down for a refret and fretboard re-profile, my first attempts (with guidance) at lutherie.
    1981 Washburn M7SN (2 point);
    2011 Eastman 504, "Belle";
    2012 Lafferty mahogany octave mandolin;
    2012 Emando (Saga), "Hank"

1 husband, 2 dogs, 4 chickens.

I saw the Punch Brothers last summer and they were amazing live. I've seen Chris Thile many times and have never been disappointed. i think it's worth a night off work.

I confess to being a big Thile fan and catch as many of his TV performances as I can. One thing I always pay a lot of attention to in the Tonight show type of venue is audience reaction,based on the assumption that its members are not typically mandophiles or string band lovers. I listen for the kind of explosive energy in their applause that marks enthusiastic approval. The Brothers got the good stuff Wednesday night and I was happy for them. Such a hardworking,masterful group deserves popular approval and all that may entail. Glad to see the Dude back too. I love that mandolin!
    Jim

Registered User Brandon Johnson's Avatar

I saw the Punch Brothers this evening here in Boone. Show was solid. They performed almost all of the songs off of the album as well as a Beck and "Train on the Island" medley. Also did "Kid A" into "Wayside," like the YouTube videos. Used some of the effects on vocals and instruments that have been discussed here. The effects used were more subtle than on the album, and to my judgement, tasteful. Noam and Gabe played "Pineywoods" (which is all bug code for "Temperance Reel") while the rest of the band took a break. Thile and Paul Kowert did a Q and A session before the show, and I asked about the lack of an original instrumental on the new album. Answer was that they cut 4 or 5, but the tunes didn't work as well as Kid A and Flippen. My dad asked Thile about the differences between his Loar and the Dude. Thile called both "lovely instruments," but very clearly preferred what he called the "sound of the wood" that came in the high register of the Loar vs what he called "plastic on metal" in the high register of the Dude.