Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Punch Brothers: Who's Feeling Young Now

Default Punch Brothers: Who's Feeling Young Now

http://www.punchbrothers.com/news/wh...ing-young-now/

Free song download for the price of your email address.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Default Re: Punch Brothers: Who's Feeling Young Now

I'm as big a Chris Thile/Punch Brothers fan as there is, but this doesn't do anything for me. I understand what they're trying to do (and succeeding), but this style just isn't for me. It's an extension of what they were going for on the last album, so it shouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone. I wish they would have followed up on the implications of the first album with the long form classically inspired pieces, but they're going for acoustic indie-rock instead. Oh well.

Being a fan of acoustic instruments and a fan of indie rock, I am very much a fan of the "acoustic indie-rock" vibe that they are going for, as you put it. Also, just a note that the wikipedia article on the new album is currently marked for deletion. Anyone who can go and spruce it up so that it is more acceptable should: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who's_Feeling_Young_Now%3F

The first release by the Punch Brothers may well prove to be an outlier. Especially considering that Chris is feeding that portion of his playing with the Goat Rodeo crew. It seems to me that the last two releases by the Punch Brothers are an evolution of the band's actual voice. Not Chris, but the band as a whole. I think Chris is smart enough to realize that these other facets of his playing can/should be satisfied via side projects.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Registered User J. Galoshes Esq.'s Avatar

I absolutely love this song. I think they've achieved the sound they had been looking for and hinting at over the past couple of albums.

I love it!

Registered User J. Galoshes Esq.'s Avatar

The album features a couple covers, namely "Kid A" by the Swedish instrumental legends Radiohead, and "Flippen" by VÄSEN, a band which needs no introduction. - Pickles
    I also thought this was hilarious.

Just had my first listen to this cut. Man I can just imagine the firestorm this album is going to create on the forum here! I'll reserve my review when I can hear the whole album.

Quote Originally Posted by mando.player View Post
    The first release by the Punch Brothers may well prove to be an outlier. Especially considering that Chris is feeding that portion of his playing with the Goat Rodeo crew. It seems to me that the last two releases by the Punch Brothers are an evolution of the band's actual voice. Not Chris, but the band as a whole. I think Chris is smart enough to realize that these other facets of his playing can/should be satisfied via side projects.
    I completely agree. I think they're developing their own voice as a band and doing a fantastic job of it. I'm just a little sad that it's not going in a direction that I'm all that fond of. I hope they continue to do exactly what they want and get lots of new fans out of it. I'll keep listening to that first album, and Goat Rodeo and imagine what could have been. I just wish I had the time, talent, and group of like minded musicians around me to explore that side of it myself.

I absolutely love this track! But I'm also into the brooklyn indie rock scene. My friend Cliff has an amazing band called ladycop. They're brooklyn based. They went on a big tour with a bus converted to run on vegetable oil. My band just finished a demo (it's a little rough) and we're playing our first show in manhattan in January. Then we will frequent brooklyn.

I want to form an acoustic indie rock band. Think Sigur Ros, Blonde Redhead, Radiohead. Fused with Edgar Meyer, Thile, Bela Fleck etc....

If anyone wants to check us out there are 3 songs here:

http://www.sonicbids.com/epk/epk.aspx?epk_id=312870

I'm the fat one with the bass on the left. If you ht the green icon "audio" 3 songs pop up. I hope this isn't considered spam. I'm not selling anything. I just like to hear feedback.

These songs are just an idea of what we do. There are some stronger ones on the demo.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm excited for the new Punch Bros

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_P View Post
    I completely agree. I think they're developing their own voice as a band and doing a fantastic job of it. I'm just a little sad that it's not going in a direction that I'm all that fond of. I hope they continue to do exactly what they want and get lots of new fans out of it. I'll keep listening to that first album, and Goat Rodeo and imagine what could have been. I just wish I had the time, talent, and group of like minded musicians around me to explore that side of it myself.
    So when you say "the first album", are you referring to "Punch" or "How to Grow a Woman?"

I haven't listened to the new track, but if it is continuing in the direction of Antifogmatic I'm all for it!

So, I love these guys' music and musicianship, but an email address is a pretty high cost...I dread wading through the inbox this time of year! And, I'm gonna buy the thing, anyway...

Hopefully we can catch them in Boone or Wilkesboro next year!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Budz View Post
    So when you say "the first album", are you referring to "Punch" or "How to Grow a Woman?"

I haven't listened to the new track, but if it is continuing in the direction of Antifogmatic I'm all for it!
    I was referring to Punch, specifically "The Blind Leaving the Blind". I also love most of How to Grow a Woman, with the exception of some of the whinier post-breakup Thile songs.

definitely spacey.. I can dig it
    "Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun."

Techno acoustic music is born!? I appreciated the free download and ah... to me, parts of it sound like virtuoso playing ending up sounding like a broken record. Chris has a pleasant sounding tone to his voice and being a big fan of very expensive, lush reverb, I find that this effect works on his vocal track. The lyrics seem to be written like free verse poetry. I totally understand what they are trying to do. I get it. It is just not my cup of tea I guess and I know my own new release is not everyone's cup of tea either. The Punch Brothers are certainly doing something right, they are getting quite well known in certain circles.

I heard them play three songs from the new album this summer and they all are in this direction but not quite this far. All three were very good, two of them great. Of course that was live, and before the actual recording took place. Clearly the production has created a new sound for these guys, pushing the acoustic instruments towards a more electric feel. I think their development as a band is amazing, and a lot of fun to watch and listen to.

Ok, I just listened to the track... Initial response was that I didn't really dig it, but usually these types of things grow on me, especially when you take the whole album into account. Also, laptop speakers don't help.

I kind of though that "Blind Leaving the Blind" was an entire suite of break up whining!

Yum!

The roll out toward the album's release is under way. Here's a second 'album preview video' that gives a feel for what's to come. You can see and hear right away that the band's moved a long way from the approach of 'Punch' with everyone surrounding a stereo pair of microphones.

BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Ridiculously cool. I can't wait to hear the whole album and see them on tour again.

My first impression of "Movement and Location" was mild and reserved, but it's really grown on me since. I am very excited about the new album.

It will be nice to enjoy one of their Radiohead covers without visiting youtube.

I like what I am hearing so far. The solo work and side projects have been great also.

I'm really looking forward to this album. Punch is awesome, but I think I agree with others that it needs to be a sort of one offish aesthetic for the band. I think for him Punch Brothers is the in between the more cerebral and visceral side of his music making, where he is most comfortable overall. And luckily this is the type of music I tend to listen to the most often. I think the aesthetic of punch, similar to the Mandolin Concerto he wrote, is more of an every so often move he'll make. Like the rumored Bach album in the future.

It's very good, though obviously not a bluegrass record. We'll have an interview with Chris up here on the cafe in a week or so prior to the official release
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Quote Originally Posted by bwachter70 View Post
    I like what I am hearing so far. The solo work and side projects have been great also.
    agreed...

I like the video.. sounds really good. Looking forward to hearing more..
    "Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun."