Thread: Eastman cracked finish?

Default Eastman cracked finish?

Hi Mando Community -
    I'm new to the mandolin world and have been taking lessons for a few months. I'm currently playing a very cheap, not-so-good sounding mandolin. I have quickly gotten to the point that the poor sound hurts my ears and I would like to upgrade for Xmas!

I have been impressed with the J Bovier mandolins - specifically the F5. I thought the sound/tone was beautiful. However, the music shops where I live (Bozeman, MT) don't carry the J Bovier, so it's difficult for me to compare to the Eastman 515, which I have also been eying.

From what I have read, people are very satisfied with the craftsmanship and quality of the Eastman mandolins and they seem to be a pretty reliable company. However, I was struck by the fact that the finish on these mandolins seems to crack fairly easily. While I know this is merely an aesthetic issue and shouldn't affect the sound of the instrument, I guess some part of me does actually value the aesthetic as well.

Would any of you be able to compare these two mandolins? Does anyone have experience with the Eastman varnish and how it holds up over time? Is a cracking finish common on ALL mandolins and should this factor into my decision-making?

Thanks for your time...
    Christi

Default Re: Eastman cracked finish?

Hi, Christi, and welcome to the world of coveting a new and better (and cooler) mandolin.

I've not heard of this problem of Eastman finishes "cracking." My Eastman is about three years old, and doing fine.

My Eastman is a 2007, and no cracking.

Well, that's good to hear. There was a used 914 at the store and it had some significant cracks in the finish. The sales person said that he's seen it happen with quite a few of them. I'm wondering if this is the result of living up here in the bitter-cold North?! I definitely plan to buy a humidifier as well for my new friend.

I guess the biggest question was whether this was a common problem and I should shy away from vanished finishes and rather seek out one with an oil finish.
    But, if you both have had luck with yours, then maybe I'll take my chances.

My Eastman is 2009. No cracks.

I had a 2007 515 with a substantial amount of finish checking on the top.

Personally, I thought it looked kind of cool...but i have strange tastes.

As for the mandolin itself, I really liked it. Lots of volume and nice tone. Great value, especially if you don't mind buying used. I only sold it when I realized that I didn't need a scroll and decided to go for the A-styles.
    No...YOU stand back.

Blog Entries

It could be related to climate, yes. We have an old D-28 that lived out your way (MT), and it has more checks on it than a chess board. If allowed to get freezing cold, then warm suddenly, or vice versa... that can happen. Have seen it happen in stores too. No heat overnight. Staff turn up in the morning and crank it up....

That can affect any finish.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Christi,

First thing -
    The majority of Eastmans come with a nitrocellulose lacquer finish not varnish. There are Eastmans that have an oil varnish finish. NEW 915's come oil varnished and older mandolins that have a "V" added to the model #. Ex MD-815V are oil varnished. You would never find a 515 with an oil varnish though.
    I have a 515 and the finish can chip but I have not experienced any finish checking. When you say crack do you mean checking (a network of fine cracks in the finish). If so this can happen to any finish if exposed to extremes in temperature. Varnish can check with age.
    Varnish (oil and spirit) finishes are more delicate than lacquer. Of the varnishes spirit is more delicate than oil.
    Marc B.

Thanks everyone for the helpful discussion.
    And yes, I was using the wrong terminology. I'm speaking of "checks" rather than "cracks." Didn't know the difference until today!
    It's good to hear that this can happen with ANY lacquer finish, regardless of the brand. And it will definitely make me think twice of walking to my lessons in the winter.
    I wrote to Eastman as well to ask them about it. Here was their response:
    "Christi
    We do see some lacquer checking for time to time and it is quite variable. We have been working hard to refine the building and finishing process to eliminate that as much as possible.
    It is a fine line, we could put on a finish that we could guarantee would never crack, but the instrument would sound terrible and muffled. The only finish that any manufacturer can use and eliminate 99% of all cracking issues is polyurethane. For a fine instrument, it just does not sound good.
    In all my time here though, I have never seen any flaking of a finish.
    In terms of warranty policy on finishes it is a case by case basis. We always try to work out a satisfactory solution."

I'm totally satisfied with these answers, as well as Eastman's prompt response to my question. From what I've seen/read, their customer service is great.

So...I think there might just be a 515 under the tree for me this year!
    Thanks everyone for the responses.
    Merry Christmas!

Enjoy your 515, I loved mine.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Quote Originally Posted by Barrelmaker View Post
    ...I should shy away from vanished finishes and rather seek out one with an oil finish...
    If the finish has vanished, well, it can't crack, but you have a worse problem...

But seriously, folks, I own four Eastman instruments, and the only problem I found was not finish cracking, but a really thin, soft finish on an MDA-615 mandola, which wore through under my "planted" finger (I know, I know, shouldn't do it) after a pretty short time. Had it touched up, and a small transparent adhesive golpeador ("pickguard" to you) placed over the wear spot.

One dealer I buy from, said that early Eastmans were prone to soft finishes, which sometimes felt "sticky" to pickers, and showed wear after a short time playing them. He says it hasn't been a problem recently.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I bought my 615 in '06. (I think). Finish still looks like it did when new. Of course, I have the Blond version which is known to maintain it's flawless skin tone as well as being faster than other finishes.

I have a 2005 blonde with no finish issues at all.
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

i purchased 2 eastmans an 814 golden age 2005 and a guitar same year, guitar had cracked finsh from new and was sold as a second nothing wrong with it both great products , serials were 26 and 46 so these were the first ones

I had an MD 514 that developed one lacquer check in the top finish and and Eastman 804 archtop guitar which had numerous lacquer checks when I got the instrument. This is certainly not the norm for Eastmans, but lacquer checks certainly do not bother me in the least because they verify that the instrument is really nitro. Who knows, instruments with lacquer checks may actually sound better for all I know. I also have an RK ROS-647 which is lacquer checked on the top and it I think it makes the guitar look vintage with the aged toner top.

I probably wouldn't want to pay full price for a new instrument which had lacquer checks, but normally I can deal with the issue just fine.

Some people might not like the look of finish checking but on the other hand it's a good sign for tone! My feeling is if the finish is checking, then the wood is able to vibrate that much more freely. I have a Favino gypsy jazz guitar that has lots of finish checking. It seems like over time the more checking it developed, the better it sounded. I don't mind the look of it either. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmando View Post
    I have a 2005 blonde with no finish issues at all.
    Huh. And so many blonds have finish issues! You're a lucky man.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!