Thread: I wrote this song! And My Mandola and I did it at the talent show

Default I wrote this song! And My Mandola and I did it at the talent show

So, no one at my school actually knows what a mandola is but me. I get stopped and asked by people if they can see my ukulele, cello, guitar, violin, bass (don't even know...) or sitar, but I don't think anyone has ever just KNOWN that I was playing a mandola. I converted this with viola strings from an Ovation Mandolin. It rattled when I played it with double courses, so I took off half the strings. I have a use for all the little dangling wires on the instrument, they mute the upper strings so I can make a snare effect; I use that when I'm either playing dance music, or in a setting where I want to be very, very, very subtle. My band Cliff Letters plays this song with more people, and I find I kind of enjoy that sort of thing a littttllllle more. But still. Here it is: When You Talk by Me, my mandola, and I.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVYpm...Ht9GEbRsQY8VcL

Blog Entries

Default Re: I wrote this song! And My Mandola and I did it at the talent

Good job! Now the rest of the school knows what a mandola is! You probably taught them more then their teachers did that day! Did you win?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Very creative!!!
    Bart McNeil

Great job. Solo gigs are tough. Loved your interaction with the crowd, actually had them singing (humming) along. Cool.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Good job! Nice sound.

I'm still not sure whether it's a mandola or a low tuned mandolin with 4 big strings.
    Super short scaled mandola?

Either way, cool.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

They do now! Or they have a rough idea of what one sounds like! Thanks guys, though! Means a lot to get feedback from people who actually play the instrument I play, rather than people who say things like, "I thought it was really funny how you decided to play on a little kid guitar and it sounded good. LAWL!" Well, what I did to get this was, because I had just got the new mandolin, and decided that the mandola sound worked better in my band, I took viola strings and strung it with those. I tried double stringing it, but it rattled too much with multiple courses. I think it's a mandola tuning wise, but a mandolin in terms of scale length. I would consider it a short scaled mandola. But what do I know?! I'm just proud I taught everyone the word "mandola".

Oh! And it's a politically correct talent show. We're all winners. Or. Uhm. Rather. We're all..."valued participants" I guess? haha.
    I forgot to reply to all of these. Sorrrryyy. But. Yeah, it was fun. I enjoyed interacting with the crowd and stuff. I am not sure I would've won were it a contest, we have some pretty good musicians at our school. Even if I am the only one that plays mandola/mandolin.

Nice job, and creative.

Did someone...honestly...refer to your instrument as a sitar? Out of curiousity how did you handle that?
    I enjoy the song for the most part, you seems a little nervous; I can hear a little bit of that coming through in the dynamics of your instrument. I also notice that after the first verse you are playing an auxillary melody on the a string, you might want to find a way to bring that up. Overall, though, really good song. Good vocal (minus a few iffy parts in "maybe"). I'd really like to hear some more of your stuff. How many songs have you written?

Yes, they seriously did. Well. Uhm. I laughed. And they had asked if they could see it, so I taught them how to play C. I was very, very nervous. I think it killed my tone. Okay, does anyone have any suggestions for bringing out the auxillary melody? I'm not sure what to do there. I don't even know if it benefits the song holistically. And, yes, in "maybe" I messed up, but I have a lot of trouble singing in lydian. I have written about 200 songs this last year--this one was one of my less creative songs IMO, but I am still proud of the way it turned out. I read somewhere that fingerpicking the mandola was underexplored, so I found some chords in the key of c that worked around that idea and put them to some lyrics I wrote. Originally, in my head, this sounded like Yesterday by the Beatles, a little bit. It only really started coming together when I found the chord progression I wanted on my electric accordion. True story man. Anyway, you can look us up at soundcloud.com/cliffletters. I recorded an EP with the last incarnation of our band. Isaac, the guitarist left, and everything changed 100% since then, because the arrangement has a mandola as the basic instrument most of the time instead of a guitar, and the tempo on most of the songs doubled.