Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gravity Picks

Default Gravity Picks

Has anyone used these who has also used V-Picks? Someone in the Blue Chip thread mentioned them. It appears as if it is just a V-Pick copy, but maybe they're different. Looks like they're fairly new. The web site isn't even finished yet. Here's a link if anyone wants to check them out.

http://www.gravitypicks.com/

I'd be curious to know if some has used both Gravity and V-Pick to compare.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Default Re: Gravity Picks

I've been using them lately, I found them in this very long thread on AGF: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=219510
    I like them quite a bit, I keep alternating between Wegens and Gravitys. I don't know what the difference between these and the V-Picks are, both are acrylic, but they are not the same. I prefer the Gravity pick over the V-Picks, no knock on the V-Picks, I just prefer these. YMMV.
    I believe they are still offering samples at no charge.

Thanks for the info Joe, I sent for a free sample.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Instead of "they are not the same" I probably should have said I don't get the same tone with Gravity vs. V-Pick. For all I know they might be the same.

You're welcome, Larry

how about anti-gravity picks? so they don't fall if you lose your grip ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    how about anti-gravity picks? so they don't fall if you lose your grip ..
    No, instead they fly up to the ceiling...
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I have a free sample of a large triangular 1.5mm pick in the mail. I will give a opinion of it when it gets here.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

I have classic mini and a classic standard in 1.5 coming. Since my pick of choice is the Ultex Jazz III these should be close to that.
    I will post my thoughts when they arrive.

I have used them both and I like the gravity better. They feel better and are a little less clicky than the Vpick. But I like the Dunlop Ultex or the Wegen 140 better than either of them.

Just ordered a sample, should be shipping Monday. I'll compare it to the free wood pick I also ordered and posting a thread.

I'm hoping to get mine today. We'll see. I'm very anxious to try it. I will give my review (for anyone who cares).
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Well, I received my free sample of Gravity Picks in the mail today. WOW! These things are great. For anyone familiar with V-Picks, they are very similar. They are both made of acrylic. They both have a tremendous grip. The both have outstanding volume. The smoothness off the strings is incredible. Where they differ from V-Pick is the high end tone. They are very similar in tone with the exception of the scratchiness that many, including myself, have attributed to the V-Pick. The Gravity Pick has all of the positive attributes of the V-Pick, but is much smoother on the high strings and does not have any of the scratchiness I found offensive with the V-Pick. These picks are outstanding. In recent months I have experimented with several brands, types, and thicknesses of picks, including Blue Chip TAD 50 rounded edge, Blue Chip XR 60, V-Pick Freakishly Large Rounded Lite, Jazz Mando V-Pick clear and blue, Wegen TF 140, Wegen TF 180 with no bevel, and my old stand by Fender 346 Extra Heavy. I received two sample picks from Chris at Gravity Picks. The one I requested is called a Striker XXL. This isn't listed on the web site, but it is nearly identical to the Fender 346 shape. It is 1.5mm and is a deep red color. The other he sent is the Striker XL 1.5mm in yellow. It is exactly the same as the XXL just slightly smaller. The first thing I did when I got it was look at the edges of the Gravity Pick and the V-Pick with a 12X loop. There is a huge difference between the two. The V-Pick edge is uneven and has a bunch of diagonal scrape marks on it. The Gravity has a nice v-shaped edge to it and is very smooth. I believe this is what makes the Gravity Pick sound smoother on the strings. It has volume as good and better than most any pick I have used. The notes are clear as a bell without being too bright and edgy. It has a wonderful grip. It allows me to play with a loose grip without fear of dropping it.
    I think anyone who didn't like the V-Pick because of the "chirp" and scratchy sound on the strings should take a serious look at these Gravity Picks. If you email him and tell him what size, shape and thickness you like, he'll send you a sample or two. All he asks is that you tell some people about them. The best part is that I liked them even better than the Blue Chips, which I think are great picks as well, but the Gravity Picks are only $5 apiece.

The guy who makes them is Chris Fahey. the web site is http://www.gravitypicks.com/
    His email is chris@gravitypicks.com

No financial interest. I just told him I would write an honest review.

Also, I'm not trying to dis V-Picks. I think Vinni has a great product and lots of people like them. His customer service is second to none. I just think the edges were too scratchy sounding and the Gravity Pick solves that problem.
    Last edited by mandobassman; Dec-19-2011 at 2:21pm.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Got mine today-- a Stryker XL in bright Mercurochrome orange which was my requested color. What can I tell you? I like bright colors.
    I've only played with the pick for about 10 minutes, but so far I'm impressed. The grip is really first class. The pick grips and releases the strings nicely. It does seem a bit quieter than my V-picks (which I also really like a lot). To soon to tell if I prefer one or the other. I'm finding that I like picks a bit larger, so I may order a few more in different sizes. The price is certainly good.
    www.busmanwhistles.com

It's interesting. I told Chris that I used a large triangular 346 shape and I assumed that the Striker XL would be the equivalent, but he sent the Strike XXL, which is almost exactly the right size. The XL is a little too small. I still have a few of my V-Picks and I also thought the Gravity Pick was quieter at first, but the more I played them both, the more I realized I was just hearing the added brightness from the V-Pick, which has the perception of more volume. I really think the are about the same. The Gravity is just a bit warmer. The XXL he sent me was a crimson red. He just emailed me and said he added the Striker XXL 1.5mm in yellow and green. He is re-doing the web site and should be complete in January.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

I find the XL a bit pointier than I like, but with three equal points I may just experiment with rounding one of them down a bit to customize it.
    www.busmanwhistles.com

What a nice gesture, that some one would simply give away sample picks. I contacted Chris after I saw this thread, I thought that perhaps the window would have closed, but not. I've been using the Wegen Bluegrass pick, after using rounder picks for long time. I really like the Wegen BG, and wished I had started playing with some kind of point sooner. I find it produces better articulation and it has undoubtedly improved my technique. Chris send me two picks, which was a very nice surprise, A red Striker and a green XL Striker. For size, I preferred the Striker as it is smaller and closer in size to the Wegen BG. They are very nice picks, well made, nice to look at, easy to keep a hold on, nice feel, and they produce a pleasing sound, though a little brighter than the BG. I don't know if they will replace the Wegen, but it is perhaps a bit early to tell. It is a nice enough pick that I'll be giving it a go for a while. In any event, I very much appreciate Chris' kind gesture, and wish him success in his venture. Thanks Chris.
    mark

I just received my free sample pick and like it a lot. On the mandolin I like it better then my old shell pick that I've been using for years.On the guitar I prefer the shell pick but not by much.I'll be ordering a few in the near future.

Just got my sample Gravity pick too. Gave a Striker XL a couple hour workout, I usually use the BC TAD60, in comparison the Gravity pick has a much warmer tone on the A and E course. To my ear the BC is a bit louder, but the Gravity has a full tone that's very warm.

Striker and Axis were the ones I tested:
    I recorded them playing on a two-year-old high-end F5 mandolin with a set of recent (week-old) strings.
    The control pick was a BlueChip TPR60, similar in size and shape to the two Gravity examples. My experience:

The thicker, green Axis produced a 'bottomy' tone, eliminating almost all the high. This resulted in a thick, almost dead strings sound.

The result with the Striker was the polar opposite of the Axis. A scratchy attack with rather brittle tone.

Horses for courses. I still prefer my BlueChip over anything else I've tried since (and including) those of the turtle death variety.

I contacted Chris just before New Year's and took delivery of TWO of his products yesterday. I got a Striker XL and a Striker XXL. After a/b ing with a bunch of other picks I determined that I really liked the feel of the Strikers and found the tone to be warm and 'round'. I prefer the XL for mando and the XXL for guitar. Because of the large number of picks I now have, I won't likely be ordering more, soon, but I won't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. Bang for the Buck, they're just fine. Tone is a personal thing and I won't try to tell someone that my favourite tone is better than theirs. It's all good and they're worth checking out.

L8R
    G
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

Jerry Garcia

Just ordered four picks to try. An Axis XL 1.5mm, Edge XL 3mm, Classic wave 3mm and a Stricker XXL 3mm. Wanting to see if a thicker pick will help with tremolos. Possibly nothing but a different player attached to my mandos will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    .. Possibly nothing but a different player attached to my mandos will help.
    PM me for my mailing address!

I sent for a sample and received a Striker Standard and Striker XL. I am overall impressed with these picks, prefer the XL for the size. I compared to my top favorite picks which are Jazzmando Proplec, Jazzmando V and Wegens M150. The Gravity was darker than I expected, but still close to the picks I was comparing to. The only down point to the Gravity is that after just a few sessions I was already seeing wear on the pick. Similar to the wear I see on a Proplec, and one of the reasons I don't use Proplecs since I switched to Wegens. The Wegen going into it's second year with minimal wear. So though the Gravity is a good pick, at $5 I hoped it would be more durable. Wegens are still my #1 until I find something else. If I ever get a chance to try a Blue Chip that might change, but $35 keeps me from even trying one.

Exclamation Re: Gravity Picks

Quote Originally Posted by swinginmandolins View Post
    The only down point to the Gravity is that after just a few sessions I was already seeing wear on the pick. Similar to the wear I see on a Proplec, and one of the reasons I don't use Proplecs since I switched to Wegens. The Wegen going into it's second year with minimal wear. So though the Gravity is a good pick, at $5 I hoped it would be more durable. Wegens are still my #1 until I find something else. If I ever get a chance to try a Blue Chip that might change, but $35 keeps me from even trying one.
    There's BlueChip, and then there are those other picks that actually wear!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    Just ordered four picks to try. An Axis XL 1.5mm, Edge XL 3mm, Classic wave 3mm and a Stricker XXL 3mm. Wanting to see if a thicker pick will help with tremolos. Possibly nothing but a different player attached to my mandos will help.
    Just got them from the mailbox. Thanks Chris for the Classic XL 1.5mm you added... free of charge Will try them out ASAP.

Give me about 30 years to make sure if I like them or not mandopixie... if I don't, I will send a PM your way to find out where you want one delivered.