Thread: Ideas to improve a wobbly C String (on a 5 String Emando)

Default Ideas to improve a wobbly C String (on a 5 String Emando)

I just received a gorgeous 5 String Emando from Andrew Jerman who did a great job.

My only minor quibble with this killer axe is a fairly slack C string which causes buzzing on the C#, D & D# notes near the nut.

This is not my first Emando and the same problem existed on the previous one I owned.

I am skeptical that a heavier gauge string will do all that much to improve this, but of course I'll keep trying till I find one that rectifies the condition.

In the meantime, I was thinking of possible fixes. Are any of you aware of any Emando's that use a string tree like you'd find on the headstock of a Stratocaster? I'm thinking that intelligently installing one might fix the problem by tightening up the tension?

On the other hand, I'm wary of drilling a hole in the beautiful headstock of this mando if my logic is misguided.

Anyone have any useful thoughts on my quandary and proposed solution?

-Treblemaker

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Default Re: Ideas to improve a wobbly C String (on a 5 String Emando)

Don`t go for the string tree........all they do is create a decent break angle over the nut and prevent the string from jumping out of its notch but the overall string tension will remain the same - that which is required to bring the string to its desired pitch between the bridge and nut.
    What gauge is the C string?

I am not sure - I'd have to ask Andrew since it came in the mail with the set on it.

But your point is well made.

T

Ted,
    I put a light set on it just because that's my preference. I think you brought this up with your eight string too, so I'm guessing that you are a medium to heavy string guy.
    Offhand, I suspect that it is a .044 so you might jump up to a .046 or .048. If you'd like, I can send you a couple strings to try.

FWIW, the P5 pentaula I got a few years back is a 15"' scale ,
    I put an .056" on it and tune it as an Octave down GDAEB. the low string is pulled down
    significantly on the headstock. passes under a round piece,
    to not have the strings windings hang up.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture