Thread: Using mandolin with virtual amp software - Having some trouble!

Default Using mandolin with virtual amp software - Having some trouble!

I have been experimenting with connecting my semi-acoustic mandolin to my computer for recording.
    I'm really enjoying it, but so far, one thing is bugging me. I'm having some white noise.

I suspect a few things that cause this, but I'm not too sure.

1) Cheap mandolin, thus cheap pickup: My mandolin cost approximately 200 euros, so the pickup probably isn't that great either.

2) This looks like the most likely one: I'm plugging it directly into my microphone jack, using a 6.3mm to 3.5mm jack.

If you guys think it's the latter, could any of you provide me with some tips on this subject? Should I connect it to my amp first, then connect it to the microphone port? Or do you suggest me to buy something like one of those line 6 pods? Would that improve my recording quality?

I don't want to be spending a lot of money on this, especially because a lot of those line 6 pods are really advanced, offering a great deal of virtual effects for guitar, but I only want to produce a clean acoustic sound, so that would partially be a waste of money. If you are using one of those as well, could you recommend me one?

My apologies for my lack of knowledge, and thanks in advance!
    Jonas

Default Re: Using mandolin with virtual amp software - Having some troubl

Sorry for the double post, but I have an update.
    I am stupid, that is! :p
    I read that I'm supposed to plug it into the line in port, and that works way better now.

Do you still think I should buy an audio interface tough?