Thread: Robert Lombardo Music for Mandolin

Following Neil Gladd's advice in a column in Mandolin Quarterly some years back, I routinely "clean out the mandolin bin" at the local Tower Records. Last night's cleaning yielded a copy of Robert Lombardo, "Music for Mandolin" newly released on Albany Records. The music on this CD is fantastic -- intricate, rhythmically complex, not really tonal but not atonal either, very accessible. There are two pieces for solo mandolin; one for mandolin and marimba; a set for mandolin and soprano; another for mandolin, soprano, guitar, and harp; and a 20 minute concerto for mandolin and chamber orchestra. The performances throughout are superb and the recording is superb as well. The mandolinist is Dimitris Marionos (from Greece) and his mandolin, a bowlback (very beautiful, judging from the photo), was made by Charalambros Kleftogiannis (also, presumably from Greece). The composer taught at Roosevelt University for many years and is now emeritus. I believe you can order a copy off the website, www.albanyrecords.com. VERY highly recommended.
    Victor: do you know Marinos or his luthier?
    Robert A. Margo

Yes, Robert, I know (of) both. Charálambos (a.k.a. Bábbis, or simply "Bobby" Kleftoyiannis amongst Greek-Americans) is very highly esteemed as a builder of bouzoukis. He is routinely lauded on Bouzouki Forum. (You know the URL, don't you?) I have, however, never seen or played any of his mandolins.

He is located at 1 Kaucasou St., Kypseli, Athens. His phone number —unless it has changed since I last saw it listed— is (011)(30)(210) 822-7391.

Of course, Robert *grin* I have you to thank for fanning the flames # #Here I go, thinking I know ALL Greek luthiers who build mandolins, assuming all along that all those excluded from my mando-set build bouzoukis only, and someone comes along out of the blue *hint, hint* to send me off on another search, another mando-dream.

THAT's friends for ya... #

It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Sad, that there are still people, that think of the mandolin as "an atypical classical instrument"...