Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contemporary christian acoustic

Hello,
    I am just wondering here, I am going to get a mandolin for some acoustic contemporary christian music. The sound that really builds this music is the chord usage I think. I want that emphasized, but mostly I chop on the mando. So if I want this chord sound emphasized, would it be a good idea to get an oval hole? perhaps an F-style oval hole?
    Not all who wonder are lost....some are heavily medicated...

and also, if you dont mind, what are the chords used to achieve this sound.

hey, thats awesome that you wanna bring the mando into that kinda music. i play the mando in my youth praise band at church, and i really get a good response from them, they love it!! i just play an acoustic/electric oscar shmidt mando, through an acoustic amp. hope it goes good for ya!! let me know how it goes
    "A mando is a terrible thing to waste."

I think you probably do want a rounder tone than the typical bluegrass mandolin. The "chop" chord doesn't really seem to fit into acoustic pop music, except as an occasional rhythmic effect. And having played in churches all over the country, I can tell you that it's very difficult to get a good mix if your band is half mic'd, half plugged and you're the one trying to play mandolin on a mic. You're probably going to want an acoustic/electric. Wanna buy a Rigel?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

no, I found a good oval hole F I am gonna get..

I have been playin in church forever and they all like it, I love what happens when the anointing hits.....

Ah, but have you been playing MANDOLIN in church forever?

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Ya, mandolin,

but not forever. I am 19, I have been playing in church for about 4 years.

So what mandolin have you been playing, why do you think it inadequate, and what oval F did you find?

I have always focused on Gospel Bluegrass and traditional stuff.Probably 80% of the stuff I have played and recorded is Gospel Grass.

During the past 6-7yrs the Contemporary thing has came to life I have ventured into playing the Praise style music.The feel is totally different as well as the approach to playing.First of all the "chop" will be the first thing to go....start focusing more on the open sound
    of chords and simple bar chords to be more versatile.As you know that music is generally VERY repetitious in nature
    even more so than bluegrass and offers usually very simple melodies.

I have never really taken a liking to it,but a properly applied mandolin really does good on especially slower songs...and use a mike if possible as it is much more suited for church and P&W music (just my .02 on that last comment).....If it doesnt work just kick off "Rank Stranger" and they'll all think thats a new song

Good Luck
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

I was playing that Goldtone, Rigel knockoff.....

I want somthing for an acoustic setting.

I got a good trade on a martin guitar for this mandolin, so it is now gone and I am mandoless.

I found a local dealer, Morris, that makes a really nice Fstyle, thats what I am going with

I mostly play bass in church, but do sometimes play mando and tenor banjo. My most generic advice for more contemporary music would be to either play double- and triple-stops and mostly leave the root of the chord to the other instruments. That adds a nice extra layer to the sound whether you're playing with guitars, piano or both. Or you could play melody, especially if playing with guitars only, to make it a bit easier for the singers. Tremolo chords could work sometimes, but don't overdo them.

Chopping is probably not a good idea unless there's a bluegrass banjo or you're playing with people who pound out simple rhythms with really heavy accents (highly unlikely, in my experience).

Finally, watch out for guitarists (I haven't run into any people who play other instruments and do this) who seek to avoid all harmonic tension by playing lots of pedal tones and/or playing the second instead of the third on IV chords and the fourth instead of the third on V chords. If that's too much theory for you, never mind... at worst, you'll play slightly different things and add up to some jazzy chords.
    Peter Klima (not the hockey player)

I play an oval hole f in church every week. I do a little chopping, but mostly tremolo, double stops and crosspicking. The one thing I have learned about mandolin is unlike a guiitar, you don't need to play everything in every song. Sometimes just the accents and dynamic points in the song bring out the best of your group.
    Staying Tuned

id reccomend listening to "uncommon ritual" which is mike marshall on mando along with bela fleck on banjo and edgar meyer on bass. they do some classical type pieces on it, and you could get a good feel for how to play the rythm and stuff by listening to the way mike keeps the rythm on some songs. it sounds real slick.

Professional History Nerd John Zimm's Avatar

Randy Travis does a couple of worship songs on Worship and Faith and I think some of them have mandolin in them. I wonder if some of those new praise songs could use some good mando chops to give them some variety. I am no fan of the praise music, and whatever you can do to bluegrass-ify it would be great.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    Ah! must thou char the wood 'ere thou canst limn with it ?
    --Francis Thompson

Does anyone play mandolin for guitar/folk Mass music? What is your technique? What type mandolin do you use?
    Keep it acoustic.

what is Mass music?

Roman Catholic Church Mass music.
    Keep it acoustic.

I do, GBG. I use a bowlback, which has a nice bright shimmering tone that goes well with piano or nylon-string guitar. Maybe a little less so with steel-string guitars, though - a lof of these guitarists go for a ridiculously bright tone and I'm not sure what sort of mando would go well with them... I mostly play melody or a vocal harmony part with a bit of ornamentation (if there is one written in the music I'm looking at - usually either guitar or piano music with one or two vocal parts), sometimes I'll play arpeggios or tremolo chords.

Hey GBG,

we have a mandolin player that plays during mass sunday morning (I play guitar there) He plays chords, cross picking, some single note tremelo's melody and harmony... whatever fits you know?

we also have usually 2 electric, 2 six string and 2 12 string and the mandolin and piano sunday morning.. lot's of sound but he fits it in great. Inspired me to pick up mandolin a while ago and now.

I now play for our youth mass. A lot of modern praise and worship. mostly chord-ing, cross picking, chop some when we have no drummer etc... If i had an oval hole it would sound great I think..

jason

Peter and Jason, thanks for the response. Our folk mass group has a 6-string guitar (or 2), a 12-string, and a piano. I used to bang on a guitar in another folk mass group several years ago, but I don't know if I could make a mandolin work.I guess I should sit in on one of their practice sessions.
    Keep it acoustic.

yea gbg.

it is pretty fun, I would say go sit in with them and play .

Not to bragg or anything but I feel like I have the best of both worlds playing in both a traditional catholic mass setting and modern praise and worship with the youth choir...

fun fun

jason

I play mando in Church about once a month, usually with a guitar player. #I'm sorry but I find most contemporary worship songs tasteless. I've made countless suggestions to the 2 folks who pick our selections but they only select from the same 15 or so "contemporary praise" songs. It's gotten me somewhat frustrated as I love gospel and bluegrass. A few weeks ago I snuck in "Amazing Grace" #as our opening after warning the guitar and fiddle player ahead of time. It sounded so wonderful that we closed with it too. I use a lot of tremolo, double stops and some cross picking on the praise stuff. I'd be interested in what songs you folks are playing.
    MWM

Mark in West Michigan

Yeah, sit in on a practice and try playing something different on every verse (say, melody on one, arpeggios on the second, crosspicking on the third). That will give you an idea of what works well really quickly, especially if you ask everyone else what they like best. And Goldtopper made an excellent point - you don't need to play everything all the way through. Maybe lay out for the first verse, or only play on the refrains sometimes.

Your church might have music books with four-part choral arrangements; there might be good harmony parts in there that you can play. Sometimes there are very simple but effective high harmony parts that few singers are brave enough to attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by (GBG @ Feb. 23 2004, 13:33)
    Roman Catholic Church Mass music.
    Like Thomas Tallis? Well, he is more Anglican, but you know what I mean. I do. On the Guitar, though, not the Mandolin. Beautiful stuff, bro.

I am the pastor of worship arts at a contemporary church just outside of Atlanta and I drop mando parts into a lot of songs.

There is a lot of contemporary praise and worship stuff with a Celtic type feel out right now that lends itself well to mandolin ("Come Now is the Time to Worship" being an example).

Anything by Caedmon's Call works well.

Martin Smith's "Shout to the North" just begs to have a mando join in the instrumentation (we even went so far as to add a bagpipe player to it last Easter, then had him close the service playing Amazing Grace)

Older hymns in an "unplugged" acoustic style naturally work well.

For us pretty much anything that works with acoustic guitars is fair game for adding a mandolin line to it, but I try not to overdo it. It seems to have more punch in our setting when I bring it in to set a song apart from others in the set.
    Joel