Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Bluegrassy Grateful Dead Shows

Default Re: Best Bluegrassy Grateful Dead Shows

Here is an FYI:
    I just thought I would throw this out there.
    Frank Wakefield did shows with Jerry Garcia on banjo.
    This was the Pistol Packin Moma band with David Nelson.
    Now I know that there is at least one show that was recorded.
    I know because I heard it.

Someone might want to get Frank's record company
    to put this out on CD someday. Maybe Frank would make a few $ on this too.

What I heard has never released.

Jim Moss

Prepare to have your minds blown away - check it out.

Best $8 ever spent. I wish I was there to see it live, but this is the next best thing.

http://www.livedownloads.com/music/0...Fillmore).html

Another good one is Almost Acoustic, by the Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band. Sandy Rothman plays mandolin (and some dobro) on that one. There was a series of "Jerry on Broadway" shows in 1987, and then a similar run on the left coast. Definitely worth checking out for acoustic, bluegrassy Jerry. Those shows included an acoustic set and then an electric. For a bit more of that same run, you can dig a little deeper and find Pure Jerry, Vol. 2 & 3.

Volume 2 is 4 discs, with all music (acoustic and electric sets) from two shows - a matinee (hey, when you play Broadway, you have a matinee on Saturday and Wednesday- no stand in allowed here, though) and then the evening show from October 31, the last night of the run.

Volume 3 is 3 discs, The Best of the Rest, October 15 – 30, 1987. 2 discs are of the electric band, and the third is a collection of tunes from various acoustic sets throughout the run.

On a side note, the one show I was lucky enough to attend, I was outside the theater with my friends before the show, and a side door opens, and out pops Bill Graham. "Hey, Bill, how you doin'?" "Hey guys." So, I can say I met Bill Graham. Cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	garcia broadway.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	79714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	garcia broadway.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	79715  

Thanks for all the great recommendations! Just finished up my semester finals and hadn't been able to check back on thread in awhile. As a few of you already stated, the Midnight Moonlight I was talking about was in fact JGB, not Grateful Dead. I made a little bit of a fool of myself, but still glad I did because of all the great info you guys have shared!

Concerning JG and the Kentucky Colonels - Jerry was quoted in an interview once stating that he wanted to play electric guitar like Scotty Stoneman played fiddle. Scotty was with the Colonels for a while and is all over one of their live lp's.
    Bob Kirkland
    Rigel R100 Deluxe
    Mix F5
    Epiphone Mandobird VIII