Thread: Allmuse Pickup Question

Default Allmuse Pickup Question

Question for Soundfarmer Pete-

I just built my first e-mando and used an MG4 Allmuse humbucker purchased from Tom at Moongazer. I absolutely love the pickup and the instrument is exceptional.

I read in another thread about adjusting the pole piece height to balance out the response from string to string, especially on the E string.

The E-string on my instrument is somewhat weak (not terrible though) and I was wondering if I should adjust the pole piece height for the E-string with an allen wrench? Or should I leave well enough alone. The tone difference between strings is enough that I think an adjustment might be appropriate.

If I should adjust it, any guidelines of a starting point on how much to adjust.

Thanks again to Allmuse and Moongazer for a great product.
    Chinn A-style
    Chinn BluesBird Emando #1
    Aria M-300BG 2 Point
    Kay Model 68

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Default Re: Allmuse Pickup Question

By all means adjust the pole pieces....Not sure what string gauges you are using but I tend to use a 0.010"E and a 0.014"A.
    Typically with those gauges, the A pole screw will be down flush with the metal insert and the E screw will be 1 to 1.5mm higher. Sometimes a little tilt towards the E is also needed with the D screw out a little and the G flush. I also start with the pickup around 2.5mm lower than the strings when fretted and experiment from there.
    Just wondering.......did you get an Allen key supplied?....you should have done but if it became separated from the pickup and you haven`t got one the right size, if you email me pete@almuse.co.uk I`ll get one in the post to you.
    I`m glad you`re pleased with the pickup...as a matter of interest, how did you wire it up option wise?
    Cheers
    Pete

Thanks for the suggestions Pete. I'll give them a try. I've got several 2mm keys around, but I appreciate the offer!

I wired it per the diagram below. I've wired many guitars before, but this was the first coil tapped setup I'd done. Tom was very good to work with and provided the diagram.

I strung it with .011-.015-.026-.040 D'addario JS74's. I'm thinking of trying a lighter set. I like the sound, but its been a while since I've played instruments without doubled courses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wiring Diagram.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	78623
    Chinn A-style
    Chinn BluesBird Emando #1
    Aria M-300BG 2 Point
    Kay Model 68

I just strung one .010, .014, .024, .038, .046 without a problem. I didn't need to adjust any poles. I use 500K pots, .047 capacitor and an on/on/on switch for single coil/humbucker/out of phase. That is my standard setup.

HI Chinn,
    can you tell me exactly where to buy this Allmuse pickup ?
    I like to use this pickup for my future electric mandolin project.
    Thanks