Thread: Instrument Cables

Default Instrument Cables

I've been replacing cables, and being a cheap guy I look for the lowest price and best value. I've found one of the cheapest places to buy cables is through Amazon. You do have to pay shipping, but it's still cheaper than anyplace else I've found to date. As a reference I'm using the monster cables right now and saved $30 on the 4 cables I bought (compared to GC price). You could probably find the run of the mill cables on sale, but if you want a stronger cable, that's going to cost a bit more, try Amazon.
    As far as "boutique cables" go, I can't say that I hear that much difference in the few I've tried, but there is some difference. The difference I hear is in the highs and mids with the more expensive cables having a smoother quality. If nothing else, they are usually built better. I do feel they're overpriced a bit. Some more than others, but maybe they have a costly manufacturing process. I don't know for sure.
    I'd like to try some of the "high end" cables some day (Vovox, Jena Labs, etc), but with their prices starting at $200.00 for a cable, I think it will be a while before I see one. If anyone has tried any of the boutique cables I'd love to hear what you thought of them.
    Just thought I'd pass this along if you're cable shopping.

Default Re: Instrument Cables

Quote Originally Posted by jlt View Post
    ... I can't say that I hear that much difference in the few I've tried, but there is some difference. The difference I hear is in the highs and mids with the more expensive cables having a smoother quality. If nothing else, they are usually built better.
    jlt - Thanks for passing along this info on good cable deals. If you like what you hear, great, it's your money. I will say that while it is true that thicker/better insulation does affect the capacitance of a cable, the few fractions of microfarad difference from cable A to cable B is so slight I seriously doubt that the human ear can detect it. I agree that if you're looking for hardy, road-worthy cables that can stand up to hard use the higher-priced cables are more ruggedly built and will give better service. I've used/built/repaired many cables over the years.

I like George L's they are not terribly expensive and they last a long time. You can buy bulk and make your own too. Can I hear a difference? Don't know I've been using them for 10 plus years...same cables. Forgot what the cheapos sound like.

http://www.georgelsstore.com/

I walk all over my main patch a lot . i have had the best success with cable that have the vintage style braided covering . seem to take the stomping and tugging abuse longer than none braided cables

Blog Entries

I'm with Perry on George L cables. They sound good, not too thin/tinny or too fat/muddy. Mainly, the assembly system is unique, solderless and field repairable. No cable is bulletproof, so being able to easily fix beats everything else.

And relatively inexpensive, since you buy a kit and make your own. I like their right-angle plugs, too, since you don't even need a screwdriver to assemble a cable with it.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Nutrik makes excellent Plugs, to put on the end, they too offer a no solder one in their product range.

Looks like 'snap jack' went under.. [website gone, sellers that had them no longer list]
    a cool idea , ends were separable and magnetically fixed,
    so had a break away if tripped over your amp wont be pulled overt too.. and could be hot swapped, silently .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I've used a crimp type connector for my ham radio antenna coax, but don't care for them. They loosen over time and can get a lot of corrosion in them. Not that I would be leaving and instrument cable outside. I do like George L's concept. They look easy enough to put together, and as Tom mentioned "field repairable." The "snap jack" cables Mandroid mentioned sound like a good idea. Nothing will ruin your day more than someone knocking your stuff over. Too bad they're not in business anymore.
    The "sound difference" is really subjective. Not everyone will hear the same thing. I kind of take all the testimonials on how much bette brand x cable is with a grain of salt. I've heard very faint differences. I wouldn't call it a "big" differences I feel better about the fact the new cables I bought are sturdier.

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Looks like 'snap jack' went under.. [website gone, sellers that had them no longer list]
    a cool idea , ends were separable and magnetically fixed,
    so had a break away if tripped over your amp wont be pulled overt too.. and could be hot swapped, silently .
    That's unfortunate... I have a couple of these cables and some extra interchangeable jack ends and really like them.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

I like mogami or canare cable. A 15' cable with high quality connectors can be found on eBay for ~$25. IMO the super expensive cables are a big waste of money.

Another vote for George L cables. I've been using them for a few years with my bass rig and haven't had any problems.
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

Here's an excellent overview containing the only real and objective measure of cable quality (capacitance) as well as detailed and consistent opinion on flexibility, ruggedness etc. Good read. http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/cablechoice.shtml

I've made my own cables (with a capacitor in one connector to filter out RF), repaired storebought cables, and bought lots of different cables. At this point in my life, my advice is to go to your local music store (that won't be closing shop) and buy the nicest lifetime-guaranteed cable they carry. (I also like the braided exterior models like Rico mentioned.) Then, when your cable opens up (and it will), you go back to your LMS and just swap for another cable. Simple.
    Think globally, bike locally.