Thread: Darol Anger, John McGann, Joe Walsh: Andre's New Shoes

Default Re: Darol Anger, John McGann, Joe Walsh: Andre's New Shoes

John,
    Is Joe on the Berklee faculty these days? Wouldn't surprise, but I acknowledge I'm biased towards thinking he's one of the best out there. Never had a more articulate and organized instructor ( though you're up there too....).
    RK

Blog Entries

Joe is Assistant Director of the American Roots Program and is also teaching mandolin (as will be Jason Anick, teaching fiddle and mandolin as well). LOVE having those guys on board!

Very creative and jazzy version indeed, in contrast to ours which is more in the tradition way :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oXloRlzxM0
    Pietro Bono

John,
    Smokin' performance! I really enjoyed your playing. In that situation, how much of your break was improvised and how much was planned in advance? Did you have a framework for playing the changes and then leave the rest up to chance? Do you have a backup plan on days when you are feeling less than inspired (if that ever happens to you)?
    thanks in advance,
    Max
    I laid the tracks, never rode the train.

Blog Entries

Thanks Max! The only advance planning was that I memorized the chord changes about an hour before the performance. That tune was not in my repertoire...Darol showed up with a lead sheet, and because the changes were easy to hear (choro music, at it's heart, is very similar to early jazz and ragtime, harmonically), I could read through it a few times, and was comfortable "winging it". I think I may have played it at a gig in 2008, but hadn't internalized it (i.e. another reading situation) or thought about it since...

For me , knowledge of the chords is essential for coherent improvising (if you'll call what I do coherent! ). There is a HUGE element of chance, in fact, that's all there is in that situation really, since I don't play off pre-composed "licks"; but the argument could be made that each chord (not "chord shape", but chord symbol, i.e. Gm= G Bb D and then fielder's choice of topping- 7, b7 or 6...) dictates at least 4 foolproof notes, so there are always "safe zones" from which to play.

The chord is the lick off of which I play, kinda... That's pretty much how I roll in a jazz improv state of mind; it is different for bluegrass and fiddle tunes, where I'd be playing off the melody (informed by the chords) a bit more.

I'm never not inspired, because I am incredibly lucky to be alive and healthy and able to play the music I want to play thanks again to everyone for the kind words!

Beautiful. Gentle, passionate and just plain fun. Thanks for sharing.

Wow John, I just "discovered" these on youtbue (where I'm "clemtrout"). FANTASTIC stuff. Thanks for posting...I've got to get back to MA to see some of this live.

Geoff aka clem

I just watched this the other day after your other post with Julian, Daryl and yourself. You guys are obviously having so much fun playing together. I was impressed by Joe Walsh's guitar picking, though not surprised that he'd be good on that instrument! Great to know he's on the faculty now! Is Daryl on the faculty now, also, John or just a guest? Really loving this stuff, John, and glad that you document it with video so the rest of us mere mortals can enjoy and be inspired by you superhumans! Thank you.

Blog Entries

Thanks again y'all! Darol has been on the faculty for several semesters and is here to stay. This fall, Jason Anick also joined up, so we have 3 mando teachers now.... Believe me, I am as much a 'mere mortal' as anyone!