two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Default Re: Steve Carlson

I love this thread!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by mando-tech View Post
    I'll go for that! I have two Carlson signed,- a '92, and a '91 - (shown in profile pic), they both say F5L,..lets understand that the L stands for LACQUER and not Loar.... that was sort of an 'understood misunderstanding'! The mandolin shown at left can be heard on MAPLE VALLEY BOYS you tube, its featured on the non-gospel songs, the gospel selections are heard using a gibson A-12.
    85 A5Jr

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flatiron.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	97676

Blog Entries

Great thread about a great builder.
    '20 Ellis A5 Tradition, '09 Gilchrist Model 1, “July 9” Red Diamond F-5, '12 Duff F-5, '19 Collings MT2, ’24 A2-Z, ’24 F-2, '13 Collings mandola, '82 D-35, Gibson Keb Mo. http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mando-tech View Post
    I'll go for that! I have two Carlson signed,- a '92, and a '91 - (shown in profile pic), they both say F5L,..lets understand that the L stands for LACQUER and not Loar.... that was sort of an 'understood misunderstanding'!

" I offered the idea that we could call this "new" instrument the "F-5L" - the "L" in honor of Master Lloyd Loar"

Roger Siminoff in "The F-5L Mandolin"

http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/pub...s_001217.shtml

There would in any event be no reason to refer to "Lacquer" as that was the only finish being used at the time (1978).
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

5. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Agree. It's for Loar and to keep it apart from the regular late 70's F5 which they were still making. And the Fern inlay was also a Loar thing and also set it apart from the F5 flowerpot being used at the time. From the first ad for the new F5L reads "The new instrument, named the F5L - "L" in honor of its creator." From the first The Legendary Bluegrass Collection Gibson Catalog reads
    "The F5-L designated "L" for Lloyd Loar, Gibson's acoustic engineer who inspected and signed each Master model instrument in 1923 and 1924." (well he did sign a few in 1922) Can't change history.

While I grew up in the region, I only returned 12 years ago, and in any event I spent the 80s and 90s on things other than music (making a living can be a demanding taskmaster). I learned about Bruce Weber and learned bits and pieces of the Gibson/Flatiron connection here in Montana, but didn't know anything about Steve Carlson.

I of course stop at Music Villa in Bozeman to sample their instruments anytime I'm passing through. Earlier this year I bought the beautiful little 1962 Martin 5-16 Terz guitar that is listed in my signature block. (My wife actually was the one who fell in love with its size and feel, but I have fallen just as much in love with it and probably play it more than she does!)

Anyway, I was passing through Bozeman a couple of weeks ago and was guitar shopping again, and Blaise, the acoustic manager dropped in to see how I was doing. When I mentioned that I had bought that little Terz guitar on our last visit, he asked me if they had told me whose guitar it was (they were selling it on consignment). They hadn't, so he told me that it was Steve Carlson who was the seller. My blank look gave me away as the ignorant guy that I was, and he briefly explained that he was the guy who basically started it all for acoustic instrument making in Montana with Flatiron.

Which is what led me to this thread -- which has to be one of the best and most interesting threads I have read on Mandolin Cafe. Steve, if you ever read this, know that your little 5-16 has about as appreciative a new home as it could possibly have!
    2008 Weber Bitterroot A
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2012 Martin D-18, 2004 Martin SWDGT
    1962 Martin 5-16, 1972 Alvarez 5043
    1929 “Houn’ Dog”

“Artists like Bach and Beethoven erected churches and temples on the heights. I only wanted…to build dwellings for men in which they might feel happy and at home”
    -- Edvard Grieg

Name:	1984 Flatiron A5-1.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	100844 I greatly enjoy playing my 1984 A5-1

Haven't been here in some time and just found this thread. Very cool! Love the info from Steve Carlson. Makes me miss my Flatirons.

Quote Originally Posted by pickinNgrinnin View Post
    Haven't been here in some time and just found this thread. Very cool! Love the info from Steve Carlson. Makes me miss my Flatirons.

Hi Steve, I just bought an Octave Mandolin or 3M Irish Bouzouki. #8205093
    It is not here yet hopefully next week. MIght you have signed this one? Looking to get my cowboy celtic on. Went to MSU in 1992, took the horseshoeing course with Tom Wolfe. What fun.
    cheers,
    Bradley Bischoff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
    Question for you. Don't you have an original 'Carved Top Brochure'? It does cover some of this and may be of interest.
    I recently found my copy. Here it is: http://www.bradleylaird.com/blog-art...tiron-bro.html

This thread is a good one and solves many puzzling mysteries. Thanks, Steve!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bradlaird For This Useful Post:

BillGfatt-dadhank 

Steve: I have 1993 F5 Custom made in Custom shop with Verzi. Pretty sure you signed it.
    Don't thing there are many later vintage Gibson mandolins with the Verzi.

Ed

Hi Atetone. I recently bought the 1984 Flatiron A-5 serial number 84110434. I bought it from a fella named Jim. Did you recently get rid of that mando? Were you the original owner? If not do you know who was? Any information about this mandolin would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
    I left Gibson at the end of 1993. Hope that helps.

Steve Carlson
    But can we trust this source? I can't remember back that far.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I can remember back that far;at least when it comes to the day I got my Steve P. Carlson-signed Gibson Monroe Model
    #74 with varnish finish. Label dated March15,1993.(received by me March31,1993) Ordered it from Ciderville Music in Powell,Tenn.
    I still have the receipts and all the paperwork.

I didn't get to play #74 very much the first year or so because I sent it back to Montana twice for finish problems. Little
    bubbly,white fingerprints kept...surfacing from the first two finish applications. 3rd time finish was the charm. No problems with finish
    for 25 years or so.

Sensing my frustration when I sent it back the second time,I think it was The Bruce who asked me what could be done to
    make me a happy camper. At that time I was already used to an abbreviated,radiused 'board and fat frets;so,I asked for those
    features and got them! They kicked in a genuine pearl trussrod cover.

Several nice mandos(Gilchrists,Nugget,Red Diamonds) have come and gone since then but #74 remains my main player and favorite mandolin of all.
    Not that the other mandos weren't nice;the Monroe just fit me better and sounds best to me.

Not too long ago David Harvey leveled those Bush-sized frets,scooped the already abbreviated board at the 19th,and
    installed silver Waverly machines.

Thank you,Mr. Carlson, for a great mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    ...I'm not aware of signed pancakes....
    Catching up on a seven-year-old post, I own a Gibson A-N Custom "pancake" that Steve C signed in 1986.

A-3 type peghead inlay, gold hardware, highly figured maple back & sides, "tobacco sunburst" finish. Supposedly made for NH Gibson dealer Lou Catello, who signed the back next to the label, with a felt-tip pen.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Joining in the love for my A Jr.