Thread: Fretboard chop

Default Fretboard chop

I've searched the forum and found good info on scooping, but I just want to chop, not scoop, the end of the board, about 5 or 6 frets worth, from my Weber Bitterroot A.

That seems to be a real sweet spot for this mando, and I get tired of pick click. I'd like to do it myself with a dremel, files and sandpaper.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice/suggestions or warnings for me before I start.

I was also thinking about removing the 5th or 6th fret from the end of the board, and using that indention/groove/pit as the starting point for my cut. What do you think about this idea, and what's the best/easiest way to remove a fret down there?

Thanks for any advice you may give.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Luthierus Amateurius crazymandolinist's Avatar

Default Re: Fretboard chop

The thought of doing that to a Weber makes me very sad. Just sayin.....
    "The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life Unfair" - Relient K

"THEY'RE HERE!!! THEY'RE HERE!!! the Albino Brain Chiggers!" - Harry from 3rd Rock

I don't see any other choice. Besides selling it, and I like the mando. I can't stand the pick click.

Any advice?
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Like the "Sam Bush Florida Chop"? Not a hard thing to do, BUT a lot of ways you could really mess up the mando in the process if you don't do this sort of thing regularly. Seek a professional so that the work is done right and well.
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

Sounds like what Sam Bush did to Hoss. I can't give any more advice than to protect the top if you choose to do it. Let us know how it turns out...
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Using the fret slot as a guide would probably be a good idea. I would not do it with a Dremmel. A fret saw would be good for this but since you most likely don't have one handy you could use a dovetail saw or an Exacto razor saw. Make sure you don't cut up past the extension block.
    Bill Snyder

Thanks for the advice Bill. Would a dremel have too much power for the job, and as a result, a saw like the one you've linked be safer for the job?

Also, what did you mean by not cutting up past the block?
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Mask off the top under the extension with cardboard to protect it from scratches.
    Heat up the fret before you remove it with a soldering iron or heated screwdriver to prevent the fretboard chipping.
    Mask the peghead side of the fretboard slot with tape before you remove the fret or make your cut.
    Use a fine handsaw or hacksaw to carefully make the cut.
    Last edited by Fretbear; Oct-29-2011 at 3:04pm.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

I have performed this sort of surgery a few times and found that using a thin pull saw in a fret slot to work best. Word of caution, it is real easy to cut into the top on that last little pull so place some sort of barrier between the underside of the support and top.
    Byron Spain, Builder
    www.theleftyluthier.com

I don't see how a Dremmel would be the tool for this in any way, this is not a job for a power tool. Fretbear is right about heating up the fret and protecting the top.
    Bill Snyder

It is not a matter of "if" you can do it, but why would you? It will decrease the value of your mandolin and you may not like the look of it as well. It is not as easy to undo as it is to do. Scooping the extension will give the same results without loosing value on your mandolin. While it is your mandolin and your choice of procedures, scooping is by far the better option.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

You should also be aware that will have some bright white wood showing afterwards on the end of the extension support. This can be tinted or color-matched by various means.

Somewhere in the past discussions is an account of someone who finally got a real Loar and was troubled by the fingerboard extension pick click, but didn't want to damage the significant value of the instrument, so he learned to play without the click. By gaining skill from this effort he became a better musician. It's a matter of control and practice that works well for some.

That would be Alan Bibey. I don't think his technique needed to improve, I think he (wisely) knew not to be cutting on his Loar. He calls himself a "collector of one" as he had to get rid of everything else to swing that final acquisition. I personally think the idea of preserving or installing these particular traditional affectations that interfere with playing technique, such as un-fingerable or un-fretted treble extensions and instrument-smashing-surprise-failing pressure-fit strap pins on new instruments is ridiculous and better off dispensed with.