Thread: Setup question

Default Setup question

I just got back from checking out my Mandolin setup, man am I disapointed

I've played guitar for 40 years when I play my guitar the setup is perfect and easy to play but my mandolin its like hard for it to chord

this is my first pro setup so here is my rant on the easy two finger chords it sounds great but once you start to play a full chord it sounds like I'm a beginner

Is it to much to ask for my mandolin to play nice and easy like my guitars

So I left it there for the setup to be better

Ok my Godin A8 plays so easy so I know it can be done

So whats your thoughts

Default Re: Setup question

This Mandolin is a new The Loar LM600VS it sounds fantastic truly even better then the Weber Gallatin F that is in the store

and the setup s about the same as mine so I think the stores repairman is lacking the skills to do the setup correctly

I hope that when I go back to pick it up that it plays better ????

I am so bummed out

Email me and I will send you my pre-release ebook on setting up a mandolin. I am getting great feedback thus far and while I am re-writing sections and editing like crazy, you'll find everything you need to evaluate the set up on your mandolin. Money isn't everything. I once bought a several thousand dollar classical guitar, paid another hundred dollars for a well-known custom luthier to set it up and got back garbage. I had to buy a new nut and do a complete set up on my own. Very disappointing. All I ask is for your comments and suggestions.
    Rob.meldrum@gmail.com

Rob I'll be honest with you if I do it even with your ebook it will look and sound like Homer Simpson and Fred Flintstone <profanity inference removed by Moderator> it up
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Oct-20-2011 at 9:56am. Reason: Posting violation

You're not a million miles away (only 320) from one of the finest set-up & repair men on the planet,Frank Ford at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto CA. :- www.frets.com/ . Personally,i'd at least contact him re.maybe finding a good luthier closer to you,or,maybe even get your Mandolin to him. You could also try contacting Garry Vessel in Turlock CA for his advice. It sounds as though you don't have the confidence to DIY it,so a good luthier is the ONLY way to go.
    It does puzzle me however,as to why if you've played Guitar for so long,& given that you must have a decent idea as to how to set up a Guitar ie.neck relief,string height,bridge placement - why you can't set-up a Mandolin.The basics are the same,except that most Mandolins require very little, if any neck relief -both mine are 'flat'. Robster above has offered you a good tool which could help you a great deal. Accept his offer,read it & then determine if you can do it yourself. If you do decide to do it,take your time with each bit of the set-up & ''think it through before you do''. The chances are you'll do a great job - it's just having the confidence to get started,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

One possibility is that mandolin is more difficult to play. You're pushing down 2 strings at once in a smaller place. When you're using all 8 strings, that's 2 more than on a guitar, in a shorter, stiffer length. Mandolin places a premium on really accurate fretting, right up against the fret. J74 set is at a bit over 180 lbs total pull. EJ16 light guitar is at a little over 160 lbs. With a longer stretch.

Getting the instrument set up while you're there and advising is a great way to get the thing the way you like it. I really enjoy doing that here. Much easier than taking someone's words alone and attempting to get something translated into a feel.
    Stephen Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Perry View Post
    One possibility is that mandolin is more difficult to play. You're pushing down 2 strings at once in a smaller place. When you're using all 8 strings, that's 2 more than on a guitar, in a shorter, stiffer length. Mandolin places a premium on really accurate fretting, right up against the fret. J74 set is at a bit over 180 lbs total pull. EJ16 light guitar is at a little over 160 lbs. With a longer stretch.

Getting the instrument set up while you're there and advising is a great way to get the thing the way you like it. I really enjoy doing that here. Much easier than taking someone's words alone and attempting to get something translated into a feel.
    My Godin A8 is setup where its easy to play and its a shorter scale then my Loar and I have played 12 string guitars for over 40 years

This Loar is just in need of a proper setup but thanks for your thoughts

There is no reason your new LM-600 should not be able to have playability on par with your Godin. I would look for another setup person, or maybe show him your Godin and tell him you want it setup similar.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I have been through the process before of paying to have a mandolin setup and finding out that the guy who did the setup knew nothing of mandolins. There is a difference and just because someone does a good guitar setup doesn't mean they know what it takes to make a mandolin play its best. Hopefully someone here can recommend a someone in your area that does mandolin work, if not, you may want to learn to do it yourself or send the mandolin to someone who has a reputation of good setup work.

Believe me, when I had my mandolin setup by a pro it played great.
    Steve B.
    Gibson F-9
    Epiphone MM30 (the beater)
    Trinity College OM

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin-Tele View Post
    Rob I'll be honest with you if I do it even with your ebook it will look and sound like Homer Simpson and Fred Flintstone <profanity inference removed by Moderator> it up
    Thanks Ted you are right I'm just really frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    There is no reason your new LM-600 should not be able to have playability on par with your Godin. I would look for another setup person, or maybe show him your Godin and tell him you want it setup similar.
    Yes or even better then my Godin A8

Quote Originally Posted by bgjunkie View Post
    I have been through the process before of paying to have a mandolin setup and finding out that the guy who did the setup knew nothing of mandolins. There is a difference and just because someone does a good guitar setup doesn't mean they know what it takes to make a mandolin play its best. Hopefully someone here can recommend a someone in your area that does mandolin work, if not, you may want to learn to do it yourself or send the mandolin to someone who has a reputation of good setup work.

Believe me, when I had my mandolin setup by a pro it played great.
    Yes I'm so angry that I'll probably have to spend more money and find a good setup person

While price is not a direct indication of the quality of work, top level luthiers do tend to charge top rates. Not so much because they are making more money. They are putting more time into the instrument, often have a large investment in tools and spend a lot of time honing their craft. A good complete setup on a mandolin can easily take 2 hours. This is with someone that is experienced and works quickly. Fret work can eat up an hour in itself, as can bridge work. If you get a few quotes, you will find the average price for this type of work. Not that you should automatically avoid the lower priced setups. Just ask a lot of questions.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger