Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why the nasal singing?

Default Re: Why the nasal singing?

I'm a lead singer in a BG band so this topic is interesting to me. I'm from the South so the accent is real. I find when choosing a key for a song, I usually go with the key that will push my voice into its upper register. I like the traditional "high lonesome" sound which seems to add a power and intensity to the music. The recent trend of top 40 style country singing in BG makes me cringe. Seems like someone in Nashville figured out BG can sell after the success of Ol Brother Were Art Thou. I think one reason for the "high lonesome", evolved from the fact that early old time mountain music singers did'nt have the benefit of a PA system and there voice needed to cut through. We do an outside Sunday morning show during the Summer and it is un miced. I know for a fact, if I sang in a lower register, people in the back would'nt be able to here the vocals. The audience can usually tell if you are for real or some kind of caricature. Eric

Nice quote from Mr. Paley, Robin. That does sum up the issue pretty neatly, and the NLCR lads certainly worked as hard as anyone to find the right balance between emulating their heroes and finding their own voices.

(DIGRESSION ALERT) As an aside, I once rode a Greyhound bus from Oregon as far as Chicago with Tom Paley. He was heading back east after a week of teaching at the Festival of American Fiddle Tunes up in Washington and we chatted for the better part of two days. Boy was he ever full of interesting ideas about music, instruments, and photography. He was on the bus because he didn't ever fly with his instruments, and as he was living in England at the time, he kept two separate sets--one for Europe and one for the U.S. I was riding the bus because I was broke.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

It's corn liquor pure and simple---take a big slug of moonshine out of a mason jar and you will extend your vocal range at least two octaves sharp and will lose at least an equal amount of range on the lower end . Another slug produces the "lonesome" sound that everyone talks about.

Well, there's High and Lonesome, and then there's just High. Was listening to CG Return Engagement, there's a number on there penned by the mando picker Norman Wright called Ain't It Funny. Norman sings it high. Fine tune.

This is not limited to traditional music of the southern Appalachians and bluegrass. Listen to traditional Cajun singers and you'll hear plenty of high pitched, plaintive singing.
    John Kasley
    Williamsburg, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin-Tele View Post
    How true this Lady was saying, I love this style now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSI-j...eature=related
    Thanks for introducing me to Ms. Laprelle...got lost in youtube for a while, esp with her vocal/clawhammer vids...very nice!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    It's corn liquor pure and simple---take a big slug of moonshine out of a mason jar and you will extend your vocal range at least two octaves sharp and will lose at least an equal amount of range on the lower end . Another slug produces the "lonesome" sound that everyone talks about.
    Amen, brother, amen!
    Chuck

Good bluegrass singing is not nasal. It is also a misunderstanding to think that good bluegrass singing needs to be high pitched.

Paul - It was nice to read you reminiscences re.Tom Paley. I had the pleasure of hearing him play & talking to him over here
    many times in the past - a true gent.!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poymando View Post
    Good bluegrass singing is not nasal. It is also a misunderstanding to think that good bluegrass singing needs to be high pitched.

As I pointed out before, bluegrass male lead is ususally sung in a normal baritone range,
    omitting perhaps the less practical lower fifth (G to d). And tenors are rarely true tenors by classical standards.

So what exactly does high pitched mean in this context?

I struggled for years to try and sing bluegrass with any degree of proficiency, even though I could manage to sing folk and blues fairly well. I finally realized that to match my vocal range and be able to access the (almost indispensable) G position, that I had to tune my guitar down a full step and increase the string gauges to make up the difference. I can now deliver "You Don't Know My Mind", "Teardrops In My Eyes" etc., even if the banjo player has to use his D positions and a capo to get to the F.
    Low(er) and lonesome trumps high(er) and strained every time.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

If John Hartford's explanation isn't 100%, it should be.
    I think everybody has a mental model they want to sound like. Mix that with what God gave you and that's it. Personally, im focused on ringing that harmony, so the rest sort of, i dunno? If i hold tight to the Blues soul notion of Bluegrass, i'm hoping that nasally thang stays away. But do Frauline while thinking of Jimmy Martin and you're gonna be th'whangin' awayee.

Nasal, schmazel.

For some real high-and-lonesome sounds, try singing from your throat:

Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    try singing from your throat
    Mongolian resonance singing is the human version of a didgeridoo.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Thanks for introducing me to Ms. Laprelle...got lost in youtube for a while, esp with her vocal/clawhammer vids...very nice!
    Check out the movie Songcatcher
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyxE4rDEb6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bk5M...eature=related

I forget where I heard this...

Bluegrass = music from the heart, sung thru the nose!

(that's why it sounds nasal)

Kirk

Popeye at 3:00 in!
    -2011 Weber Special Edition "Molly"
    -2003 Gibson WM-45 Guitar "Woody"
    -1932 Ludwig Columbia Tenor Banjo "Wildwood Flower"
    -Yamaha YBS-52 Baritone Sax "Evelyn"

***GO COUGS!!!***

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cullowheekid View Post
    I'm a lead singer in a BG band so this topic is interesting to me. I'm from the South so the accent is real. I find when choosing a key for a song, I usually go with the key that will push my voice into its upper register.
    That just gives you an edge in singing that kind of music.

The audience can usually tell if you are for real or some kind of caricature. Eric
    There is nothing in between?

Is there no authentic way to play music from somewhere outside of home?

I would hate to be limited to the music indicated by my genetic inheritance, or the music that is predominant in the culture of the region where I grew up.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

You might as well ask: "Why the lisp in Barcelona?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    You might as well ask: "Why the lisp in Barcelona?"
    Oh, thats easy. http://spanish.about.com/cs/qa/a/q_lisp.htm

The entire staff
    funny....

The nasal sound is a result of the lack of proper vocal training. Nasal singing is usually the result of people who try and sing that CANT or that shouldn't be singing. Unfortunately, bluegrass music tends to be the victim of people who cant sing but try.
    I would say Hank Williams Sr. sang somewhat nasaly but was able to pull it off.

Luckily, I grew up in an area that is culturally diverse and home to some great music. Blues,Bluegrass,Oldtime,R&R.... so I'm not stuck playing any one kind of music. As far as the caricature part, you can be from the South and still play up or ignore the "hillbilly" stereotype. I think that's why Bill Monroe wore suits even though he sang high lonesome.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cobraman428 View Post
    The nasal sound is a result of the lack of proper vocal training. Nasal singing is usually the result of people who try and sing that CANT or that shouldn't be singing. Unfortunately, bluegrass music tends to be the victim of people who cant sing but try. .
    More than a few people have had some real success singing "improperly". Could they afford the pay cut to sing it right?

The entire staff
    funny....

When Joni Mitchell sang her tunes it was an 'acquired' taste' so to speak, but Matthews Southern Comfort butchered Woodstock with their middle-of-the-road pop singing... Vive la difference...
    Last edited by Eddie Sheehy; Jan-10-2012 at 6:30pm.

Quote Originally Posted by cobraman428 View Post
    The nasal sound is a result of the lack of proper vocal training. Nasal singing is usually the result of people who try and sing that CANT or that shouldn't be singing. Unfortunately, bluegrass music tends to be the victim of people who cant sing but try...
    One person's "improper" style is another's "authentic" style. I haven't the self-confidence (or chutzpah) to tell anyone that he/she should or shouldn't be singing. A combination of regional accent and striving for strong projection can account for a lot of the distinctive "bluegrass sound." People who don't naturally sing in that manner, need to be careful about adopting an unfamiliar style or accent in order to sing a specific musical genre, and that goes for bluegrass, Irish, English, blues, opera, or whatever. British blues singers sounding "black," Celtic-music groups from Iowa sounding "Irish," bluegrass bands from Queens imitating Jimmy Martin -- it's all around.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM