Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clawson mandolins

Default Re: Clawson mandolins

Herb Lambert has been playing a Spann for years. Alan Bibey sold his Spann to Vince Bullins. I think I remember Vince posting it for sale on the cafe a few years ago. Nick Chandler around Asheville has a Spann too.
    Russ Jordan

I had forgot Lambert had one. I guess when I was picking with him I paid more attention to his fingers than his headstock. I've seen Nick before but did not realize it was a Spann. I'm sure Spann has made at least 100 of As and Fs.

Moderator's edit:

Dick, welcome to the Cafe forum. Being new here you may not be aware that we keep the discussion area free of sales pitches or transactions. Feel free to post your instrument in the Classifieds. You might also want to review the Forum Guidelines if you have any questions.
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Aug-07-2012 at 12:43pm. Reason: Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by pinebol View Post
    Moderator's edit
    Add it to the Cafe Classifieds. It is free, you can upload a full description and photographs - and the people browsing the Classifieds know quality when they see it.

rm
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Aug-07-2012 at 12:45pm.

Sorry to Resurrect a old thread but I've had My Clawson since I was probably ten years old. Dad bought it for me back in the mid 90's. Made in 1983 #43. She's 31 yrs old this year. And for the age I'd give it a 8/10. I think it's a GOOD mandolin. Not Great but every bit GOOD. I love the finish. It has always looked "old" and I like that. It is currently having some minor work an setup done by a pretty dang good luthier here in Thomasville NC...... new CA bridge fret dressing top A string tuner is "tight" cleaning up the finish on the neck where it has become "sticky" over the years. Over all it is structurally in perfect shape. Birds eye maple back. Curly maple sides and neck. Spruce top. I'm a proud owner of The Clawson. Dean was a super nice guy. I can barely remember him as a young lad. I remember going to his house with dad and seeing his shop where he build his instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilesF5 View Post
    Sorry to Resurrect a old thread but I've had My Clawson since I was probably ten years old. Dad bought it for me back in the mid 90's. Made in 1983 #43. She's 31 yrs old this year. And for the age I'd give it a 8/10. I think it's a GOOD mandolin. Not Great but every bit GOOD. I love the finish. It has always looked "old" and I like that. It is currently having some minor work an setup done by a pretty dang good luthier here in Thomasville NC...... new CA bridge fret dressing top A string tuner is "tight" cleaning up the finish on the neck where it has become "sticky" over the years. Over all it is structurally in perfect shape. Birds eye maple back. Curly maple sides and neck. Spruce top. I'm a proud owner of The Clawson. Dean was a super nice guy. I can barely remember him as a young lad. I remember going to his house with dad and seeing his shop where he build his instruments.
    I am the owner of #32 dated Sept 5, 1981. Though it lacks in pristine construction. It has a great sound and has had many great mandolin players admired it's tone and volume. Loving my Clawson! It's like an investment in land. Grandpa said "they ain't making anymore".

I bought my #32, from the original owner about 10 years ago. It is dated Sept. 5, 1981. I've had many admirers through the years. It still holds its own amoung some of the more notable makers and models. The volume is great and has a real nice woody sound. I've never heard one sound any better and therefore never wanted to consider another. After buying this Clawson, I wanted to find out more about it's builder so after a little research I was able to talk with the daughter of Mr. Dean Clawson. She informed me that Mr. Dean had passed away. As I recall, she told me that he was working on #99 at the time of his death.

NFI, but I thought it a community service to report the appearance of The Clawson #41 built 1982 being posted for sale. Perusing this thread and others, the fact that it's in MB is not surprising since they tend to be regional artifacts. Here's the link:

https://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/m...403197944.html

Here are the pics for posterity (look at that once piece back!):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00Z0Z_dGkLUt5aKBm_600x450.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	162738

Name:	00s0s_GRile0bVuL_600x450.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	162739

Name:	00i0i_lRzNloCZNh4_600x450.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	162740

Name:	00W0W_atPTdtLGa73_600x450.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	162741

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

If that is in decent shape and it looks like it is that is probably a great deal.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber