Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to gussy up a Big Muddy

Default How to gussy up a Big Muddy

I'm narrowing in on what I want in a mandolin, now that I've been playing three of them: A with F holes; F5 with F Holes and a round hole flat top ... ala my Big Muddy.

The Big Muddy seems to be my favorite, but I hate the tailpiece and need an armrest. I was thinking of getting one of these puppies:

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/i...TRAD-A-GLD.htm

I was also thinking of getting some kind of design put around the sound hole.

Does this seem doable?

Thanks kindly for any ideas and advice.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to gussy up a Big Muddy

I almost got one of those Weber tailpieces. They're so pretty I started to drool but I ended up with another kind, a McClung. I opted for the black ebony with a silver/gold Texas Star on it. (Yes, Texas has it's own stars, of course.) It gussied up my mando and kept it understated at the same time. It was also 1/3 the price of the Weber and 1/3 was the inlay work.

But I still like that Weber.

Here's a quick pic from my ancient phone digicam.

Last edited by greg_tsam; Oct-15-2011 at 11:22pm.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Having a rosette installed around the sound hole of an already built mandolin is likely to cost quite a bit I would imagine. On a Big Muddy possibly a third or half of what it is worth. This is just a guess mind you. If you were commissioning a build then I assume it would be a bit less. Your armrest you have chosen requires changing out the tailpiece which sometimes is a simple swap and sometimes requires filling and drilling new holes. Many armrests come independent of the tailpiece and attach with the same hardware used on vioin chinrests.
    Last edited by John Gardinsky; Oct-15-2011 at 8:48pm. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

That Weber tailpiece may be designed for an arch top instrument.. You might want to ask before buying.

At one time, the Mid Mos (Now Big Muddy) could be ordered with the tops having burned designs (Celtic artwork for example). I think the burnt wood color on the natural finish looked very classy. Contact Mike Dulak about something along those lines if it is still offered.

From the Big muddy website you can see an example in this photo for their hard case.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I wonder if you could have a lute/gittern/renaissance cittern-style carved rosette installed in the soundhole. That would actually look really pretty on one of these.
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

Doug over at Hill Country Stringworks makes an armrest specifically for Big Muddy/Mid-Mo mandolins, here's a link to a page where his different armrests are described - just scroll down to find the ones I'm talking about:

http://www.hillcountrystringworks.com/readystock.html

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Oh, that's a pretty mandolin, Jamie. Thanks, Greg & Jill. Those McClung armrests are certainly more reasonably priced than the Weber tailpiece combo. I'm thinking I can get a tailpiece I like along with a McClung armrest and I'm good to go.

Hmmm ... sounds like the rosette design will have to wait until I can afford a custom mandolin, John.

Thanks for the help folks! The cafe always comes through!
    Just visiting.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Judging by the picture, it looks like it comes with a free pick, so how can you go wrong? ;-)
    I agree-- it's pretty but on the expensive side.
    I have one resembling the McClung (I forget the maker) and it works just fine, for a lot less. Looks excellent too, in curly Maple.
    If you have any woodworking experience, you can make your own. I made one for my recently completed IV kit. It was easy and the results were excellent. You can get viola chin rest hardware for International Violins.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Hahaha, Paul ... indeed the free pick is the deal maker. I'm really liking the McClung armrest with the pretty hummingbird inlay. I emailed Doug to see if that particular one would fit the muddy.

Found a reasonably priced open tailpiece (really don't like the el cheapo ones with the lids) .... this just might work.
    Just visiting.

I met Walt Kuhlman of Gypsy's Music this weekend at the CMSA convention and we talked a bunch since we were neighbors in the vendors' room. He makes simple flattop mandolins similar to Big Muddy's but with a different tailpiece. Astrid Wolf also works with him and does some beautiful carving -- they showed me a guitar top with some very attractive Celtic carving. You can see some examples here.

I played his instruments and they are quite nice with wooden tailpieces. I am sure he can design an armrest as well. Anyway, another possibility.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Nice work from Walt Kuhlman, Jim. His mandolins make a good case for the unadorned soundhole.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

$180 for the Weber!?!?!?!? 3-4 months delivery???? You can custom order a McClung and have it on your mando in 2 weeks for about $40. I think mine is great. Maybe Doug will even throw in a pick if you ask him reallllllly nice?
    raulb

c. '37 Dobro mandolin
    '53 Martin Style A
    '78 Ibanez 524 F-style
    '98 Graham McDonald guitar body bouzouki
    '08 Trinity College TM-275 Mandola

"It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are. --Red Green, "The New Red Green Show"

To be fair the Weber shown is a one piece tailpiece armrest combination.
    Bill Snyder

I bought a Steve Bell armrest that is beautifully made, and easily switched from one mandolin to another - unlike the combination armrest/tailpiece design. It is also a LOT cheaper.

I love the look of Weber mandolins, but think they are let down by horrible tailpiece designs, so if I was in the market for a fancier tailpiece, I would certainly look elsewhere.

rm

no accounting for taste - as they say - but, armrest aside, i'd leave the "gussying-up" out. mike's design is simplicity itself - pure proportions and shape; excellent finish, etc., etc.. with the passage of time, a fine patina of essence of human oil on the sound and fingerboards will show more originality than anything else.

i thought of putting a rose in the sound hole of my m-0 and substituting the tuning pegs with some gotoh (spelling?) ukulele pegs - to make it look more medieval - but thankfully talked myself out of it.

just my 2 cents, but why mess with perfection?

I have a Weber tailpiece (Sans Armrest) on my 2 Mid Missouris. I also have a Cumberland Acoustics Armrest on one and a McClung on the other. I am happy with all, but would recommend the McClung slightly over the Cumberland Acoustic. Only for the Slight Increse in Angle on the McClung.

I also hav e a home-made pick guard that I designed myself. It is an abreviated one with a point. The M-4 is of Ebony and the M-1 is of Cherry. I had them friction fitting under the fingerboard but I have crazy glued one in and put a pin for the other.

Thanks for all the help. The cafe comes though again!

I’ve been properly steered away from the $180 Weber combo with the ridiculous wait. I’m getting a rosewood McClung tailpiece with a hummingbird inlay to match the rosewood of my Muddy. I found this tailpiece, and it looks like it’s going to fit nicely: http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=9093

Thanks, Jim, those Walt Kuhlman mandolins are gorgeous. I may consider one. I love, love, love the tone of my Muddy. What I really want, when I can afford it, is a mandolin with a tone like the Muddy with a radiused fretboard, a little fancy pants rosette and an Allen kind of tailpiece.

If I'm going to sit out tunes I don't know at a session, I want my mandolin to look pretty. That way maybe folks won't notice I'm not playing it.
    Just visiting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hummingbird Armrest Rosewood.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	78413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Muddy-with-armrest.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	311.4 KB 
ID:	78414Okay ... getting there! Mike at Big Muddy is gonna install a radiused fretboard and put on the nice tail piece I bought. I just put on the McClung armrest I got from Doug at Hill Country String works. The muddy's getting real pretty!
    Just visiting.

Loretta,

Have you considered one of the Flatiron pancakes in a 3 series? I had a beautiful 3MB mandola, have a 3K bouzouki, and have seen many pictures of 3-series mandolins that are quite mouth-watering. Does the herringbone rosette of these instruments constitute "a fancy pants rosette" from your perspective? Check the "impulsive purchase ... Flatiron 1N" thread if you dare.

Just askin'....
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

"pretty muddy" ... looking good, loretta!

Yeah, she sure is pretty, Bill. The hummingbird is just the ticket.

Oh, those Flatirons look awesome. Yes, the herringbone is definitely fancy pants. They don't make them anymore? That's what I gathered from doing a few searches, Michael. My goal, however, is not to buy another mandolin right now. My long term goal is to have fellow Portlander, Keith Newell, build me my dream mandolin. It's gonna take a while to save up for that one.
    Just visiting.

Sorry for having misinterpreted, Loretta. I only skimmed the final post you made ahead of mine (your #18 above) and didn't understand that you already -had- the Big Muddy you were considering having modified. I'm going to add a picture of a -very- nice-looking 3MW Flatiron that was for sale from Boston a year or two ago. An owner had addressed the top scratches coming from enthusiastic play w/o a pick guard by engaging a luthier to mill out (some unspecified but probably) a shallow recess and inlay a pickguard. And they did the headstock, too. My gosh, it's pretty, like the upper-end (also Boston-based) Vega cylinderbacks. I was too scared of a weakened top and subsequent splits to pull that particular trigger. But it's beautiful work, and I rather hope I see it for sale again sometime.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010323.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	78443  
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

Blog Entries

Well, the armrests are $180.00 but not a 3-4 month wait (unless we lost track of an individual's order sometime or something, and if a dealer orders several at once they can take a little while). I am going to be posting these as soon as we set a price for them...we thought they make great stocking stuffer for that mando player in the family. It's our endpin (that won't fall out) they'll come with the rubber endpin hole insert too...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	endpinsmall.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	78444  

No sweats, Michael. Wow ... that Flatiron is quite lovely. Just what I'm looking for ... if I had the cash!

Beautiful, Mary .... is an endpin what fits into the tailpiece??
    Just visiting.

To answer that question Loretta, That is a standard endpin (fancier though) that comes with a Weber Tailpiece. It has to be drilled out to 1/2 inch instead of the taper for a noral endpin. You screw it into a rubber insert that tightens against the sides of the hole. Works great.