Thread: Fishman Loudbox Amp.

I posted this a while back and kind of screwed it up as I was calling it a hotbox. Anyhow, not much response then. I know it's a new amp out this year. There's not any, in any of the music stores that I frequent around this area and I'm hoping some of you have tried it. The stats on it have my interest as I will be purchasing an amp in the next few months.
    Steve
    Good Pickin', Steve

I tried a Loudbox, the Marshall AS100D, and a SWR California Blonde side by side a couple months ago. (the store had all 3 and I couldn't resist). I played an acoustic guitar through them. The Loudbox could easily get loud, for sure. Very clear, but limited in controls/channels. Heavy, but it does have 3 amps in it, I think. It didn't have much bottom end to it, imho. Sort of like a pa that needed a sub working with it.

I have the SWR CB for the acoustic guitar. It has more lows to it, which I like. It can get loud, but the Loudbox may be able to get louder/clearer.

The SWR's tweeter/horn can be turned up or down, depending how your instrument sounds best. I'm kind of new to this mandolin thing, but this feature on the SWR may be something to consider if you want to amp different kinds of instruments.

Amps are like guitars and mandolins... they are all different and you should try them to see which one you like best.
    Dave

Check out the Roland AC-60 in that price range. The Fender Acoustosonic is another nice sounding rig.

The SRW sounded terrible w/ a mando when I tried it.

If there is a good selection at a shop, take your own instrument in and try it on the different rigs.

Currently I am using a Roland K-300 Keyboard amp. Very clean and loud, but no effects. Have a pedalboard for some soft toneshaping and a volume pedal, tuner.

I just bought the Roland AC-60 recently for some shows I did recently with a (mostly) electric band. I'd give it two very enthusiastic thumbs up!!! Has a great mix of features on the input side (XLR; phantom power; Roland EFX, etc) and virtually every type of output you could ever want. It comes with its own gig bag, has an internal tilt stand and can even be mounted on a regular pole type speaker stand. It's small, lightweight, but has enough power to cut through a six piece band that in my case included steel, drums and electric guitars.

Oh yeah ... and my mandolin sound great through it ... very natural and clean but very loud!

Hope this helps!

Bluegrass ... "It's Folk Music With An Overbite" (Robert Shelton)
    www.waynefugate.com