Thread: Magnus Zetterlund

Blog Entries

This is not something I'd typically do, but I've been conversing with a guy from Sweden and after hearing his music decided to post some information about him. He sends me an MP3 this morning and a picture of his instrument. What a striking original tune he's written. I think it's a brilliant piece and he has a real touch. I immediately posted it on the MP3 page and signed him up for a message board account. Picture of his instrument below and his comments. Hope he joins in. This piece is mesmerizing. Can't stop listening to it.

-------------------

Here's the stuff I wanna share. A tune, a picture and personal info. Magnus Zetterlund, 24 year old guy from Sweden. Nowadays studing at the Royal College of Music, Stockholm, at the folkmusic department. Actually as the first mandolinist ever. Mostly into Swedish traditional fiddletunes but also all kinds of different mandolin music. Inspired but great americans, for example Chris Thile and Mike Marshall. The tune is an own solo composition in traditional style, called the Waltz of the Dreams. Plays a 5-course flattop mandolin with extended basses. See picture for a better view of this custom built Swedish instrument.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5coursemando_1.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	5128  

Instead of the more common "Florida" this fingerboard has an "Alaska," an extension at the top, bass side. Beautiful instrument. Also "Waltz of Dreams" is a beautiful, etherial, haunting piece. Welcome, Magnus!
    Bob DeVellis

That is a great song. I love the "extra" bass he gets on the 5th course. Sparkling trebles too. We need more from Magnus.

Interesting instrument. Do we know who built it?
    Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

gorgeous! The sustain on the chords/bass notes is impressive... simple and elegant tune.
    It reminds me a bit of John Renbourn's fingerstyle pieces...
    (this is high praise, btw)

KE
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

by simple, I don't mean simplistic or easy... just that it has a sparse, uncomplicated quality that contributes to its elegance...
    Don't want any misunderstandings to start unnecessary flames...
    KE
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Blog Entries

Magnus is clearly an eldsjäl. The music makes me think of dancing an airy waltz - not exactly a hambo, but something like that. If you've never tried Scandinavian dancing or listened to good Scandi fiddle tunes, you're missing quite a treat!

-Phil

By the way, this music helped soothe my infant daughter while she deals with an upset stomache. While the music played, she never cried, but did resume crying when the music stopped. No kidding.

Brilliant! More please Magnus!

Beautiful!
    John McGann, Associate Professor, Berklee College of Music
    johnmcgann.com
    myspace page
    Youtube live mando

Hi everybody!

Thanks for listening. I´m so glad seeing all these inspireing words. To good to be true! #Thanks a lot.

The builders of my instrument are two swedish guys called Christer Ådin and Helge Ekvall who runs their workshop together. #I got it in March this year and it was the first instrument like this ever(?) built. Now Christer have built one for himself wich makes two. #

You should know that there isn´t that many serious mandolin players in Sweden so it feels really good to be in your company. #Cool being a cafe-member!

-Magnus-
    Magnus Zetterlund - mandolin player and teacher from Sweden.
    www.magnuszetterlund.com

Man, you've got SOUL! Wonderful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by (Magnus @ Nov. 25 2004, 08:10)
    Hi everybody!

Thanks for listening. I´m so glad seeing all these inspireing words. To good to be true! Thanks a lot.

The builders of my instrument are two swedish guys called Christer Ådin and Helge Ekvall who runs their workshop one f

You should know that there isn´t that many serious mandolin players in Sweden
    Magnus, where do these guys live? Do they have a website
    or a catalog?

(Oh, maybe I'm not a serious mandolin player - my main instrument
    is the guitar - but I am serious about music!)

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Välkomnande, Magnum.
    Stor musik!
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

I really liked this tune, so had a bash at tabbing it out and am putting it here in case it helps anyone else who (like me) finds tab a big help to get started playing a new tune.

Excuse my less-than-elite tab skills... the dots above the tab denote the beat, hopefully it can be used to infer the length of each note.

<span style='font-family:Courier'>Part A

&#124;. # # # # . # # &#124;&#124; . # # . # # . # # #. # # #&#124;. # # #. # # #. # # #. # # &#124;
    &#124;----------&lt;7&gt;---&#124;&#124;-0-000002------------------&#124;------------------------0--&#124;
    &#124;--&lt;12&gt;-&lt;7&gt;------&#124;&#124;.0-------4--4---5420-------&#124;---44444h5-------0-4-2---2-&#124;
    &#124;----------------&#124;&#124;.2------------------6h72--2&#124;----------4--44h6----2----2&#124;
    &#124;&lt;2&gt;-------------&#124;&#124;-2-----------2-------------&#124;2--------------------------&#124;

# # #2g
    &#124;. # &#124; . # # . # # #. # # #&#124;. # # # # . # # #. # # # # #.
    &#124;--000002------------------&#124;---------&lt;7&gt;---5454p2p0-----------&#124;&#124;
    &#124;--------4--4---5420-------&#124;--&lt;12&gt;&lt;7&gt;--------------5424-0----.&#124;&#124;
    &#124;-------------------6h72--2&#124;---------------------------------.&#124;&#124;
    &#124;2-----------2-------------&#124;&lt;2&gt;-------------------------------&#124;&#124;

Part B (nb: without extended bass strings, we have to
    # # # # # #play the low 'D's at fret 7)

&#124;&#124; . # # . # # . # # . # # #&#124;. # # . # # #. # # #. # # #&#124;
    &#124;&#124;--------------------------&#124;------------------------0--&#124;
    &#124;&#124;.----------------------0--&#124;-------------------------0-&#124;
    &#124;&#124;.--66666h72-2--420-2----2-&#124;--66666h72-2-2h420----2---2&#124;
    &#124;&#124;-D-----------2----6--2---2&#124;D------------2----462------&#124;

&#124;. # # . # # . # # . # # #&#124;. # # # # . # # #. # # # # #. # # &#124;&#124;
    &#124;-------------------------&#124;---------&lt;7&gt;---5454p2p0-----------&#124;&#124;
    &#124;----------------------0--&#124;--&lt;12&gt;&lt;7&gt;--------------5424-0----.&#124;&#124;
    &#124;--66666h72-2--420-2----2-&#124;---------------------------------.&#124;&#124;
    &#124;D-----------2----6--2--- &#124;&lt;2&gt;-------------------------------&#124;&#124;</span>

Quote Originally Posted by (Peter Hackman @ Nov. 26 2004, 09:35)
    or a catalog?
    Well, Ådin & Ekvall lives close Gothenburg, Sweden. They got this website www.luthiers.nu Check it out!
    They are into guitars, mandolas, flatback bouzoukis and mandolins.

The idea with my mandolin was a mandolin suited for the elastic Swedish fiddle tunes. Fiddle is the absolutely most common instrument in traditional music here. We wanted a instrument for duo playing with a fiddle, therefore the basses. The instrument got a thin tone with very long sustain, to make legato playing easier. I like it for its purpose, but you can´t got a punchy bluegrass tone out of it.

-Magnus-
    Magnus Zetterlund - mandolin player and teacher from Sweden.
    www.magnuszetterlund.com

Quote Originally Posted by (Magnus @ Nov. 26 2004, 15:09)
    Quote Originally Posted by (Peter Hackman @ Nov. 26 2004, 09:35)
    or a catalog?
    Well, Ådin & Ekvall lives close Gothenburg, Sweden. They got this website www.luthiers.nu Check it out!
    They are into guitars, mandolas, flatback bouzoukis and mandolins.
    Ah, thanks for the information.

My Collings takes
    care of the punch so I'm looking for something different,
    to complement it.

Congratulations on the prize your composition won:

http://www.bergsjo.nu/sverigesspelmanslat/

Magnus, very, very nice tune!

Registered Person

This is just beautiful. Very contemplative. I know this is an old post, and Magnus has only posted twice, but I wonder if there's more.

Haunting tune! Welcome to the board...Kerry

Well, I transcribed it as well as I could, but couldn't really play it, but then found that if I tuned my G strings up to an A and relied on harmonics to let the bass notes ring, I could do it some rough justice on my OM. That place in the B part where the bass line goes F# and then E is really outstanding. Great work Magnus!

jc