Thread: low cost hard case for Ovation MCS-148

Default low cost hard case for Ovation MCS-148

I have been using a soft bag (for A-style mando) to carry my Ovation MCS-148. It fits really tigthly. I hate the rectangular hard case designed for my mando (I bought without it).
    I brought my OV mando to a local music store today (the only store in my area that has one single mandolin hard case, not GC) to try an F-mandolin case to see if it fits. It does not fit due to the body contour and the head stock is 0.5" longer !!! Oh well.
    Then I saw another hard case a little bigger in all 3 dimension and asked, the saleman said it was for a baritone ukulele. I tried it anyway and amazingly it fits OK, there is about 1.5" extra room at the head stock but I would not care about this little extra space. It has a small compartment inside for strings, tuner, picks and a large pocket outside to contain music sheets or books.
    With some careful modification to the inside, I can get it to fit the contour of the OV.
    The good part is it costs 45$ compare to the mandolin case that costs 65$. Very happy to pay 45$+tax for this lightweight hard case. I will keep the softbag for my Fender.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Default Re: low cost hard case for Ovation MCS-148

Cool! Is there a brand name or model number for the case? It would be nice to have an alternative. I tried my old baritone uke case, but that one was a poor fit. The rectangular case is awfully pricey in my book. It's just a fifty dollar TKL case marked way up to almost a hundred and fifty. I usually end up replacing my case every three or four years.

EDIT: For other Ovation players, the Applause, Celebrity MCS-148, and Ovation MM-68 are all the same dimensions.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Hi Tim,

I know from other threads that you are a devote Ovationi mando player. I am eyeing the MM-68 for my next mando.

To answer your question, I could not find any label inside or outside of the case I just bought. I will call the store and ask them then post the info if they know it.

I did some search online and found this one that has the exact same look

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/sto...e+Ukulele+Case

The one below is from MusicianFriends / Guitar Center cost even less (30$+tax+shipping)
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...NTWXX&ZYXSEM=0

The trouble is they do not carry them in the store so we can see if it really fit the Ovation.

Here is the link to a place that sells this case

http://www.ukuleleworld.com/case-del...struction.html

The photo shown at this site match exactly with the case I bought (the handle, the screws along the edges where the zippers ran along.

And it is about 30" long (I will measure it when I go home today).
    I ask my wife to look for the model and brand, she found nothing on this case.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Thanks. The trouble I had with my uke case was that the accessory compartment was in the wrong spot for the mandolin and hit into the headstock (the neck on the uke is longer). This one looks pretty good though.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Tim,

The one I bought is exactly the same way, part of the head stock lays on top of the accessory compartment. I plan to modify this compartment to be a little shorter OR makes it a little lower so the mando head stock floats. This would not be too hard to do.
    The case could be used AS IS and it braces the mando securely.

The link I posted at ukeleleworld.com shows the exact case I got. Here are some measurements that many wants to know.
    1) external lenght 33"
    2) external height: 5.25" at the head end and 5.75" at the tail end (due to the external pocket to contain music books).

With this case, I would not mind to also buy a baritone ukulele, I just learned it is tuned like a guitar (DGBE) and I can play that.
    Guitar Center has this case (online order) for 40$ (shipping and tax not included).

Destroyer of Mandolins

Thanks again. That's good info to have on hand. As for the uke, GO FOR IT!!! Ukes are a blast!
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

I know this is an older thread but if anyone is still looking you can purchase the hard case for them from Music & Arts for less than $100.