Thread: New to mandolin - just bought a Big Muddy M-2W; also pick advice

Default New to mandolin - just bought a Big Muddy M-2W; also pick advice

After a couple of years of playing around on a McNally Strumstick I had a yearning (which I guess has always been there) to try my hand at mandolin. I have not really played anything other than the Strumstick although my folks are both retired orchestral string musicians (violin and bass). After lurking on here and looking for advice I trucked along yesterday to the Ottawa Folklore Centre intending to have a look at a couple of their Eastman's. I liked what I saw - and a lovely Breedlove too - but what caught my eye was the simplest looking of instruments - a 2008 Big Muddy M-2W. It had just been brought in to sell on commission ($500). After coming back home and checking out the reviews of the M-2W I went back today and bought it. I don't have overly large hands, but like the wider neck. I also love the more mellow sound and have an inclination towards more Celtic and folksy type music.

The one disappointment is that the sales guy sold me a couple of picks - I should have done homework on this - which are way to thick, rounded and clunky and produce a rather muddy sound. I tried the rather thin, pointed and flexible pick which I use with the Strumstick and immediately had a nicer tone - although the latter is way too flexible for strumming. So, please some advice for a beginner. I know pick selection is a personal thing, but I was almost ready to take the whole kit and kaboodle back when I heard the sound that came from it with the cheap pick. BTW I have already learned four chords this evening so starting to have some fun.

Default Re: New to mandolin - just bought a Big Muddy M-2W; also pick adv

For the most part (like you said), it's really a personal preference thing in regards to likes/dislikes of pick sizes/thicknesses. Thicker picks do tend to give more of a rounded, bassier/thicker tone, but can also sound somewhat muddy or dull, depending on how thick the pick is (IMO...if too thick). Thinner picks will give you a more brighter sound, and will emphasize the mids & highs a little more perhaps, but the sound can also be thinner, depending again on how thin it is. Also, where you place you hand....and where your pick ends up (lying over the strings) when you're playing, whether closer to the bridge or closer to the end of the fretboard, makes a big difference in your tone. Experiment and see what you discover. Another thing to experiment with is the shape of the pick tip, whether rounded a little or a lot, and whether the end of the pick has a more pointed, sharper edge. Rounded picks tend to sound fuller and sometimes richer, but can also learn towards the dull side, depending again on how thick the pick is and how rounded it is. You will usually get a sharper/brighter attack from a more pointed pick, but if playing fast, a rounded pick point can allow for more fluid picking of individual notes in the melody. All of this "advice" is from my own personal experimentation and experience with both mandolins and guitars over the years, and may not reflect your experience accurately.

By the way, you made an excellent choice of mandolin! I used to own a Mid-Missouri M-1 and loved it. Mine was not the wider nut width like yours, however. I think I would have preferred the wider nut for my rather large hands.

Have fun!

Jeff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fstpicker View Post
    Thicker picks do tend to .... Thinner picks will give you a ... Experiment and see what you discover. Another thing to experiment with is the shape of the pick tip, whether rounded a little or a lot, and whether the end of the pick has a more pointed, sharper edge.
    Great stuff.

The best description of the effect of pick parameters and the sound is http://jazzmando.com/tips/archives/000718.shtml

Jeff is right in saying that there is a lot of variability that depends on how you hold the pick and how you hit the strings.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

[QUOTE=JeffD;972209]Great stuff.

The best description of the effect of pick parameters and the sound is http://jazzmando.com/tips/archives/000718.shtml

Jeffs, thank you both for your comments and the excellent link. Much food for thought.

Paul.

Congratulations on the Big Muddy -- that's a wonderful mandolin to learn on. Very versatile and great value. I love my M-0W.

Regarding picks, it's basically trial and error and personal preference. Unfortunately, being a beginner on the mando you're not in a good position to make informed choices about picks as you won't know yet what can be attributed to the pick and what to your rihgt-hand technique. However, you may want to be aware that most mandolin players use fairly thick and stiff picks compared to guitar players, for good reason: the higher string tension of the mando means that a thin pick can sound pretty thin and pingy. No need to go overboard in that respect -- a 1mm pick is a good choice for a beginner and then experiment with thicker and thinner picks once you know your way around the mando. I like the sound of the 1mm (black) Jim Dunlop nylon picks on a Big Muddy, and you can get those at almost any music shop in the world. Later on, you may want something stiffer, like a Wegen. If you find that the tone is still too muted or muddy with the 1.0mm nylon, try to develop a looser grip. When hitting the strings, the pick should be able to swivel free between your fingertips rather than bend between your fingers and the strings. Use just enough force to grip the pick to prevent it from falling out of your hand and make sure that only the very tip of the pick (5mm or so) protrudes from your fingers.

Martin

Martin gives good advice. Few people seem to use anything thinner than 0.89mm or much thicker than 1.8-2.0mm on mandolin so starting around 1mm is a good idea. Or if you really want to be adventurous try something 1mm-ish and another one 1.5mm-ish and give them both a fair trial. Keep an open mind about stuff like picks and strings until you find some sort of groove for your playing, then you will be in a better position to judge what works when.
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

Congrats on the Big Muddy! I have one too, and really enjoy playing it. Whatever you do, don't take it back!!!!!

I play with a thinner pick, but that is a habit from my guitar playing. I like a brighter tone, and also like the pick to flex a bit, so that is where I landed on this issue. I think, for beginners, and this is just my opinion, a thinner pick is easier to learn on. Experiment.
    Jim D